Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I recall hearing of one ancient language that had 5-6 different words for "revenge" but had no words for compassion or kindness.
    The differences in perspective gained through learning other languages, and the facility of thought...that I would think acquired as a result should be valued. Dumbing things down, well...that accomplishes just that. Some people can't even print their name anymore. Vocal speech...? Look at politics and how jejune speeches have become. Buckley should be rolling in his grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Well, it all depends on what you define as "doing fine". People were doing fine without being able to read and write, acquiring knowledge especially about different cultures is a very valuable trait that can't be compensated by simple translation.
    Yet billions of people compensate for it just fine using technology, it is much more difficult to be successful in life without math than a second language which is why it is optional. A lot of people take second languages in school but they end up not speaking that language in the end due to sheer lack of usage so not as important as you make it out to be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Yet billions of people compensate for it just fine using technology, it is much more difficult to be successful in life without math than a second language which is why it is optional. A lot of people take second languages in school but they end up not speaking that language in the end due to sheer lack of usage so not as important as you make it out to be.
    A lot of people apparently haven't heard of the internet then. The importance is not about its usage but about the stuff you learn by learning a second language. Understanding different cultures is a pretty important thing in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

A lot of people apparently haven't heard of the internet then. The importance is not about its usage but about the stuff you learn by learning a second language. Understanding different cultures is a pretty important thing in life.
    You don't need to learn a second language to understand another culture especially if you live in places where there is diversity. You can be exposed to other cultures in many different ways in school which don't involve language history, geography to name a few and most importantly of all your classmates.

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to learn a second language to understand another culture especially if you live in places where there is diversity. You can be exposed to other cultures in many different ways in school which don't involve language history, geography to name a few and most importantly of all your classmates.
    And if you don't?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

And if you don't?
    Then you are the type of person who lacks the intellectual curiosity for that to happen anyways. There are so many people who learn other languages but never go out of their uni color bubble.

You are putting too much weight on this, people have to be open to it or it's just a grade. My own experience if I wasn't open to go out of my comfort zone i would still think gay people are the spawn of Satan due to my upbringing.

You don't need to learn a second language to understand another culture especially if you live in places where there is diversity.
    Wrong on so many levels.
    I don't have time to delineate how incredibly ignorant your statement is. But there's a damn good reason why some words don't translate well at all.
    And tech shouldn't replace thinking. (As if it could)
    Although some seem to go all numb when they can't access the Internet for some reason.
    Wisdom is found in our heritage, not our cell phones

15+ Year Old Account
    Then you are the type of person who lacks the intellectual curiosity for that to happen anyways. There are so many people who learn other languages but never go out of their uni color bubble.

You are putting too much weight on this, people have to be open to it or it's just a grade. My own experience if I wasn't open to go out of my comfort zone i would still think gay people are the spawn of Satan due to my upbringing.
    You lack intellectual curiosity if you live in a place that has little cultural diversity?

That's a bit harsh.

Having to learn a different language brings you out of your comfort zone. Considering what people here have said, the US education system, especially secondary languages, is lackluster.

The median average for primary and secondary students learning a second language is 92% in Europe and 20% in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    The median average for primary and secondary students learning a second language is 92% in Europe and 20% in the US.
    Could that be because Europe has multiple languages and both of Americas basically have 3 (4 including Quebec)? Not like people in US or america in general might need more than one language when moving across the country/countries. Even Portuguese Brazilians and Spanish the rest of Latino Americans can understand each other to a certain extent

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Could that be because Europe has multiple languages and both of Americas basically have 3 (4 including Quebec)? Not like people in US or america in general might need more than one language when moving across the country/countries. Even Portuguese Brazilians and Spanish the rest of Latino Americans can understand each other to a certain extent
    No, next question.

You lack intellectual curiosity if you live in a place that has little cultural diversity?

That's a bit harsh.

Having to learn a different language brings you out of your comfort zone. Considering what people here have said, the US education system, especially secondary languages, is lackluster.

A mandatory secondary language is not what is going to save the US educational system, I do hope you are joking. You need intellectual curiosity to learn about another culture foreign languages can be just a grade like anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wrong on so many levels.
    I don't have time to delineate how incredibly ignorant your statement is. But there's a damn good reason why some words don't translate well at all.
    And tech shouldn't replace thinking. (As if it could)
    Although some seem to go all numb when they can't access the Internet for some reason.
    Wisdom is found in our heritage, not our cell phones
    Let me make it simple, do you only know of cultures that you know the language of? I know more cultures than languages most people do. The technology does the job well enough for communication, your hatred of cell phone is blinding you to the obvious.

15+ Year Old Account
    A mandatory secondary language is not what is going to save the US educational system, I do hope you are joking. You need intellectual curiosity to learn about another culture foreign languages can be just a grade like anything else.
    What I was trying to say is that second language education in the US is probably as shitty as the rest of the system. It was meant as an explanation as to why it is considered useless in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me make it simple, do you only know of cultures that you know the language of? I know more cultures than languages most people do. The technology does the job well enough for communication, your hatred of cell phone is blinding you to the obvious.
    Well, no, but the cultures I understand I know much more about than the others, which should be obvious.

Knowing something exists doesn't make you understand it.

What I was trying to say is that second language education in the US is probably as shitty as the rest of the system. It was meant as an explanation as to why it is considered useless in the US.
    That is a long and complicated conversation but even on the upper end of the spectrum language makes no difference. As for example Trump is the product of elite education in the US he was most likely required to learn a second language early on. The education for the rich is much different than the lemmings one which can be very subpar may republicans are the product of this as well.

Well, no, but the cultures I understand I know much more about than the others, which should be obvious.

Knowing something exists doesn't make you understand it.
    So you are saying you only understand the cultures which languages you speak? my point was the same you are being nitpicky.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is a long and complicated conversation but even on the upper end of the spectrum language makes no difference. As for example Trump is the product of elite education in the US he was most likely required to learn a second language early on. The education for the rich is much different than the lemmings one which can be very subpar may republicans are the product of this as well.
    Trump is the product of money spent on a degree, not elite education. And doing a quick google search, just about half of US presidents spoke a second language, Trump isn't one of them.

So you are saying you only understand the cultures which languages you speak? my point was the same you are being nitpicky.
    Vastly better, yes.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2020-10-26 at 08:38 PM.

Trump is the product of money spent on a degree, not elite education. And doing a quick google search, just about half of US presidents spoke a second language, Trump isn't one of them.

Vastly better, yes.
    Okay I will go back to basic, did every class you took have a deep impact in your thinking? for a lot of people a foreign language will be just a class like everything else. You are better of spreading cultural knowledge throughout an education system rather than just focus on one single subject.

When it comes to understanding culture you have to have that intellectual appetite some do some don't. I am fine with it being optional like it is now because I don't see it as making as much of a difference in the US as other changes.

I can't say that the school even teaches children a foreign language it's just a weird try

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I took 2 years of Spanish in high school then 2 semesters of Spanish in college in order to graduate. I can't speak Spanish worth a shit though.
    I took 3 years in HS and 3 in college and I can no longer read or speak it, besides some random words and phrases. Skills people don't use normally are lost, so it does not good if someone is never going to use that language after school is done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay I will go back to basic, did every class you took have a deep impact in your thinking? for a lot of people a foreign language will be just a class like everything else. You are better of spreading cultural knowledge throughout an education system rather than just focus on one single subject.
    No, because not every class is teaching something that is a major part of a foreign culture. Also over here, it is compulsory for at least 8 years.

When it comes to understanding culture you have to have that intellectual appetite some do some don't. I am fine with it being optional like it is now because I don't see it as making as much of a difference in the US as other changes.
    Sure, but how do you get that appetite if you never have to taste it? Learning a second language is overall positive regardless if you want to dive deeper or not.

What other changes are you talking about?

Sure, but how do you get that appetite if you never have to taste it?
    Plenty of taste of it throughout the system though the US could use more.

what other changes are you talking about?
    The biggest problem with the US educational system is that there is way too much power in the hands of local politician. It is to the point where entire swath of the US are taught an alternate version of our history because the people in charge are racist fucks.

15+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem with the US educational system is that there is way too much power in the hands of local politician. It is to the point where entire swath of the US are taught an alternate version of our history because the people in charge are racist fucks.
    Fair point, that is a bigger problem.