Never meet your heroes..

Should John 117s face be revealed, or should it remain a mystery forever? There’s no way they could possibly overcome over a decade of mystery surrounding his identity, surely it would only ruin the series?

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to Google search who the fuck John 117 is, and because I never played nor kept up with the series in the past, I can offer no substantial thought to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    What are you talking about?
    Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, or "Master Chief", is a fictional character and the protagonist in the Halo multimedia franchise.

never meet your heroes refers to a specific phenomenon where someone idolized ends up being regular person with flaws and sometimes a terrible jerk, which ruins them for the person who used to idolize them. ergo - never meet your heroes. nothing to do with knowing their faces

that said, we know what John looks like, more or less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-74vtGi4bE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdxweyMrMU

we haven't seen him as adult, because he has chosen not to show his face ala Judge Dredd to anyone outside of his fireteam (that just so happens to consist of spartans he grew up with), but we do have a decent general idea what he looks like. we also have descriptions from various halo books as well as top part of his face from Halo 4. its not THAT much of a mystery to players/halo fans

Thinking of strong characters who never reveal their face, there's a strong myth-element associated to them and therefore revealing what their face looks like is often unwelcome as it gives the myth a human characteristic that wasn't previously a factor. Darth Vader is much more about his iconic helmet and breathing mask than his actual face in Return Of The Jedi. It was also smart to reveal Kylo Ren's face relatively early instead of playing him into another faceless myth, because he would've been seen as Vader-lite rather than his own man.

I've only experienced a small-ish portion of Judge Dredd comics, so my perspective isn't really the same as someone who's deep into the lore, but as such I found Sylvester Stallone pretty much perfect for Judge Dredd. Knowing what Karl Urban looks like he doesn't fit Judge Dredd at all, but they wisely kept his face hidden throughout his movie, leaving only the gruff exterior and mannerism to make the case.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.