Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So I'm genuinely curious what those on here pushing for the dems to pack the court in the future really think they're going to accomplish. What makes you think this wouldn't backfire majorly in a midterm (typically rough for incumbents anyway) or worse, a presidential election cycle (which it could with Biden likely be a 1 term president due to his age if he wins) which would then result in McConnell packing the court with Republican judges which you damn well know he would, if there's one thing that turtle loves its appointing judges.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    GOP is soooo going to cheat this election.
    They already have. Burning at least 2 mail in vote drop off boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpleton View Post
    So I'm genuinely curious what those on here pushing for the dems to pack the court in the future really think they're going to accomplish. What makes you think this wouldn't backfire majorly in a midterm (typically rough for incumbents anyway) or worse, a presidential election cycle (which it could with Biden likely be a 1 term president due to his age if he wins) which would then result in McConnell packing the court with Republican judges which you damn well know he would, if there's one thing that turtle loves its appointing judges.
    Simple...Republicans did it in 2014/2016 and there was no political repercussion for their party. If you have the political capital (and its still out if Democrats have enough to do it but all it takes is a string of unpopular ruling and there will be outcry to do so) then Democrats can pull it. Also while Midterms are generally rough on incumbents the 2022 Senate map is pretty good for Democrats to defend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple.

Just keep pointing out the fact that the Republicans lost 6 out of 7 popular votes yet appointed 6/3 judges on the Supreme Court and cast the conservative SCOTUS justices as the enemy of the working class out to get your healthcare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Simple.

Just keep pointing out the fact that the Republicans lost 6 out of 7 popular votes yet appointed 6/3 judges on the Supreme Court and cast the conservative SCOTUS justices as the enemy of the working class out to get your healthcare.
    This judicial gambit is going to be the gift that keeps giving for donation drives. Republicans wanted to outsource their legislative duties to the courts because the voters can't hold judges responsible and all they will do is keep the fundraising money flowing for years to come. Republicans literally gave up their golden goose to the Democrats.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not packing the court, expanding the court. The GOP packed it by denying Obama his nomination and then breaking their own rules by pushing Barrett. Expanding the court would depoliticize SCOTUS vacancies by making any one opening immaterial to overall court rulings. It would also expand the number of cases the court could hear each year.

Who knows what or if McConnell would do in years to come, and I don't give a shit. Doing it now, and locking it in place, would fix what the GOP ratfucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Just report it for the trolling and flaming that it is and move on. There's no discussion to be had there.
    The real problem is how he can continue to do that and never actually get dealt with.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Not packing the court, expanding the court. The GOP packed it by denying Obama his nomination and then breaking their own rules by pushing Barrett. Expanding the court would depoliticize SCOTUS vacancies by making any one opening immaterial to overall court rulings. It would also expand the number of cases the court could hear each year.

Who knows what or if McConnell would do in years to come, and I don't give a shit. Doing it now, and locking it in place, would fix what the GOP ratfucked.
    Exactly. And I would even call it correcting the court.

The GOP has shown time and time again that they can't legislate so instead, they want the courts to do it for them. I really can't wait until the Senate Majority Leader is someone like Elizabeth Warren (not Schumer, he's weak) and when the pathetic leftovers from the GOP start to complain about a potential "packing of the court", she tells them to pound sand and eat shit.

The problem is, we still have people like Manchin who for whatever reason still think he has friends "across the aisle". If those are friends, I don't want to know who are his enemies.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

Also McConnell is 78...this is probably going to be his last term and...lets be honest here...most of the young Republicans you see honestly don't have the political savviness as McConnel. The young Republicans you see are more akin to marketers pushing their special interest groups than what Scroe used to say "knowing how the sausage was made"

Great day for the U.S.! Protect our Constitution!

But I can't believe how fast they voted to confirm and then swear her in. Completely pretending that we're still in a FREAKING PANDEMIC. They moved so fast on this and still can't even pass a bill for COVID aide.

The GOP are truly horrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    But I can't believe how fast they voted to confirm and then swear her in. Completely pretending that we're still in a FREAKING PANDEMIC. They moved so fast on this and still can't even pass a bill for COVID aide.

The GOP are truly horrible people.
    And that is why next tuesday is not looking really good for their prospects...I honestly believe Graham is going to lose his seat for example

Not packing the court, expanding the court.
    I think that would come down to how many justices they put on the court. If they decided to add enough justices to give themselves a healthy majority its pretty blatant packing or perhaps more generously "over correcting". If they made it say 7-6 that's a bit more believable.
    The only lies here are the bullshit coming from you. RBG appears to be immortal.

Republicans have already been packing the courts. You're just saying that Democrats shouldn't play by the same rules.

How do you lock something like that in place? Amendments aren't easy, and probably impossible in this hyperpartisan atmosphere. What stops the GOP from expanding the courts again.

Both sides need to de-escalate this. SCOTUS positions are up almost every term, and the balance of the court seems to swing every 10 years regardless. I think Democrats are better served just biding their time and not coming across as trying to cook the books in their favor just because they can.

And all of this is a BIG if (Biden winning AND controlling Congress). It might all be a moot point anyways.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    Exactly. And I would even call it correcting the court.

The GOP has shown time and time again that they can't legislate so instead, they want the courts to do it for them. I really can't wait until the Senate Majority Leader is someone like Elizabeth Warren (not Schumer, he's weak) and when the pathetic leftovers from the GOP start to complain about a potential "packing of the court", she tells them to pound sand and eat shit.

The problem is, we still have people like Manchin who for whatever reason still think he has friends "across the aisle". If those are friends, I don't want to know who are his enemies.
    This is my biggest concern - the Manchin's of the Democratic side. I hope that if the Senate flips Blue we can legislate effectively even with him.

I think that would come down to how many justices they put on the court. If they decided to add enough justices to give themselves a healthy majority its pretty blatant packing or perhaps more generously "over correcting". If they made it say 7-6 that's a bit more believable.
    Nope. Republicans no longer get to determine the rules since they don't follow any. So whatever the Democrats do now, they will be compelled to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Republicans have already been packing the courts. You're just saying that Democrats shouldn't play by the same rules.
    Do 2 wrongs make a right? At some point you have to stop the escalation. It's childish.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Great day for the U.S.! Protect our Constitution!
    Protect it from what? From having to actual abide by that pesky separation of church and state?

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Also McConnell is 78...this is probably going to be his last term and...lets be honest here...most of the young Republicans you see honestly don't have the political savviness as McConnel. The young Republicans you see are more akin to marketers pushing their special interest groups than what Scroe used to say "knowing how the sausage was made"
    That's true though to the point earlier that some were discussing about demographics parties change and will change, Trump may have blown up the political map in 2016 by taking historically Dem states and that's after Obama managed to do the same in 2008 by taking states red states that are now purple or in Virginia's case, solidly blue. I think the map will be very different in 2032 and even moreso in 2040 than it is today. Who knows who will take McConnell's place or what states will flip to one side or the other.