Thread: Gear advice

15+ Year Old Account

Gear advice

Yes I'm aware that Shadowlands is soon to be released but I'm wondering, if you have the choice between a blue item level 80 piece with 3 choices of traits or an item level 71 epic with 4 traits, which would be better. This is assuming you don't get a piece of gear in the Waking City LFR. I do know that the Heart doesn't work in Shadowlands (or so I've been told) but I don't know if all the Azerite pieces still work in Shadowlands zones

As soon as you take the portal into The Maw during the shadowlands starting quest chain all azerite traits no longer function and you lose health due to the ilvl bonus trait on azerite gear - so Azerite pieces no longer work. The heart no longer works but both the heart and cloak work as just stat sticks and last till level 60 depending on how levelled they are.

what you want right now are the greens from island epeditions to replace your azerite

they are level 60 and have secondary stats
    Last edited by Revamp Man; 2020-10-27 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    what you want right now are the greens from island epeditions to replace your azerite

Or just use high itemlevel azerite pieces, as they provide about double the stamina and main stat than any other questing green/blue from SL.

On beta with ilvl ~125 equipped starting at level 50, i swapped a total of 3 items during the leveling process. Both rings, as they were ilvl 140+ and a belt that procced up to epic quality with also around 140 ilvl.

Also, once the prepatch event starts, you can easily farm ilvl 100 catch up gear.

Tldr, ilvl is king.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by irdsyd View Post
    As soon as you take the portal into The Maw during the shadowlands starting quest chain all azerite traits no longer function and you lose health due to the ilvl bonus trait on azerite gear - so Azerite pieces no longer work. The heart no longer works but both the heart and cloak work as just stat sticks and last till level 60 depending on how levelled they are.

Thanks! This helps a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    Or just use high itemlevel azerite pieces, as they provide about double the stamina and main stat than any other questing green/blue from SL.

On beta with ilvl ~125 equipped starting at level 50, i swapped a total of 3 items during the leveling process. Both rings, as they were ilvl 140+ and a belt that procced up to epic quality with also around 140 ilvl.

Also, once the prepatch event starts, you can easily farm ilvl 100 catch up gear.

Tldr, ilvl is king.
    ilvl is not king my friend
    we learned that back in EP with benthic gear

comparing my max ilvl azerite gear to a maxed heirloom its about a 50% upgrade simply because of the secondary stats. Heck the only reason the MoP leggo capes arent an upgrade is because i have a maxed cloak right now with the proc

i might lose some agi and HP but swapping to my heirloom chest i gain 4% crit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Thanks! This helps a lot
    also if you have a maxxed heirloom it really helps

im wondering about the cloak because if the proc stops working then a MoP leggo cloak could be much stronger

15+ Year Old Account
    Heck the only reason the MoP leggo capes arent an upgrade is because i have a maxed cloak right now with the proc

im wondering about the cloak because if the proc stops working then a MoP leggo cloak could be much stronger
    Um not sure if you're playing a healer or dps or tank but I can tell you the strength dps, agi dps, and caster dps do not work any more. The proc they give is 0 dmg done. The healer cloak still will increase healing done but that's all. My tank doesn't have his MOP cloak even though I thought I had one (I checked all my strength classes too just now) so I don't know if the strength or agi tank MOP cloaks work or not. But I know for sure all of the dps ones don't give a proc therefore are HUGE downgrades to the BFA cloak or even a BFA green/blue cloak.