Thread: Classic->TBC

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    personally I've only invested any amount of time into my classic hunter strictly because of the potential of transferring it to tbc. Am I super rich? no, but I have a decent character ready to go in case we go that route.

Alternatively, if they take the fresh start or instant-58 route, I'd be fine with that too. Vanilla doesn't interest me much, my love for wow truly started when TBC launched, before then I really didn't care much for wow, it was something to do with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Alright then this would leave me no choice but to quit classic and play retail on and off...like 1-3 months max per expansion and just play other games.

None of this makes sense though. Vanilla private servers went on for years without dying...
    This outcome was obvious from the very beginning. Classic isn’t a private server. It’s a nostalgia theme park with a monthly fee. Interest will wane over time, with or without TBC: Classic.

If TBC: Classic does come, the best solution is probably to offer no character copies/transfers, but instead give everyone a single, free lvl60 character from the get go. Sure, some of the people playing Classic right now because they expected it to give them a leg up in TBC will quit and wait, but for the most part it would maintain the integrity of Classic.

That being said, if you don’t actually enjoy playing the game right now regardless of how things will be in 12, 18, 36, etc months from now then yeah, you should definitely quit. None of it will matter in the long run, so enjoy it now or don’t play.

there are loads of everquest and ultima online servers still going too, doesn't mean they are very active, or that the saturation hasn't reached critical mass, where you have bots spamming want to trade messages to other bots who are also spamming those same messages. you get a tourist who joins in, gets overwhelmed, can't find any active groups and then quits. or in the case of most ultima servers, I played on outlands not that long ago but damn, its just close knit communities that are difficult to join this late into the servers life span. not to mention catching up to everyone and being somewhat relevant. while being fodder for those who have been playing since the server first started. barely any new players just tired old bitter vets.

I don't personally like the idea of fresh 58s or 60s I don't see how you can balance this and it brings up more questions than it answers. do you get to keep making 60's if so how are you going to control ppl spamming 60s, running through one time quests and then mailing all that gold to their main and doing it over and over again. there are a lot of quests in this game that you get to do once, and the time it will take you to naturally get to 58 or 60 again isn't instant.
    likewise do these 58s or 60s start with a profession of their choosing at 300, or do they STILL have to go through the gathering and crafting of classic to reach 300 and move onto the tbc crafting.

if you can spawn a 58 into the game pick a profession that starts at 300. its a simple matter of running through the one time quests, mailing everything to your main and doing it again, and again, and again. in a week the inflation will be out of control. you pick enchanting and its ez mode, de every item you get from running through hellfire, if it takes you 2hrs or so to plough through those initial quests you'll make more gold doing that than doing anything else. who cares about deleting a character that you've invested a few hours into, zero vested interest.

doesn't this also undermine the effort that has been put into manually getting these characters to the relevant level, when you could have just waited and spawned characters into the game from nowhere at level cap. this is fast tracking what happened to retail, 2 or 3 expansions sooner. you want some of what ppl have accomplished to still matter, but if you bring in the boosts to cap, you have no idea who manually went through the process and who just pulled their char from nothing. end up with loads of ebay skilled characters running around shitting up all the dungeon runs with their ineptitude.

lets assume you only get 1 character to boost to 58, ok, not hard to complain to a GM that you made the wrong choice. if you want to level an alt you STILL have to level it through classic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but good luck doing that when every fresh player is only playing their free 58. while the 1-58 game would essentially be dead. classic didn't become entirely abandoned when tbc came out you still had to go through the levelling both character and professions. it wasn't a casual fresh start like wows new expansions are where you can jump in and completely ignore everything before that expansion. classic tbc and wrath was the period before free level cap boosts and excessive casualisation. you know the period of the game where if you wanted a max level character you had to level it to that point and actually play the game put in the effort and investment into that character. you weren't handed free 70s or 80s. or 68s or 78s. if you wanted that character or you wanted to join in at end game then you had to take the initiative and level up. if levelling doesn't matter why start at 58, why not just start everyone at 68 or 70. i mean only the raiding matters so why do I have to waste time levelling to 70 if all i wanna do is raid. this is where you start picking the game apart for being ... a game. some things are the way they are because thats the way it has been balanced. you start demanding sweeping changes to the initial conditions you'll fundamentally change the outcome. it wouldn't be the same, or anywhere close.

imagine the amount of ppl who will create 58s while having absolutely zero experience playing that class. shitshow. ill have to pre-heat my ignore list and have it expanded ten fold. I would actually like to go into tbc and run dungeons with ppl I know have at least levelled to 60 and have some basic understanding of the class they are playing. I do not want to have to wipe fest through dungeons carrying tourists who have no intention of staying. even with layering I can't see how you can start everyone off at the same point and hope that it eventually evens out, with a server that progresses to tbc from classic you have some ppl starting new characters, but not everyone, you have some player spread, you don't have everyone farming professions at the same time (or at least you have a balance of ppl farming tbc professions and those bringing their profs upto 300), some ppl are levelling their mains, some ppl will switch mains, some ppl will level professions there is a bit of actual spread through levels and what has already been achieved. but if EVERYONE starts at 58, you then have EVERYONE trying to do the exact same things with no spreading out. hellfire will be bottlenecked even with layering. not to mention the demand on herbs and ores will be out of control nowhere close to being able to sustain itself without an already established economy. you see what its like in classic at the moment where no matter what hour of the day it is someone is running around mining and herbing, with everyone at 58 you'll have a dude camping each spawn point. this happens now, where you have some AFK guy sitting in between a bunch of herbs or ore spawns just waiting for it to pop in. imagine how fucking retarded it'll be when everyone is 58. with or without pre-levelled profs.

what I think would be fair is a two week grace period before the dark portal opens, so ppl can level shammies and pallies or change mains and not feel like they are left behind or have to play catchup. I'd rather ppl get the chance to move into tbc as groups/with friends or with their new mains, but I do think that these ppl should still have to level their characters and professions up and not just cry and moan and hide behind some level of entitlement. because they couldn't be bothered to play the game and go through the same motions as everyone else did. 'but i don't wanna level a character' play a different game then. the fact that back in the day you did have ppl starting these characters at level 1 did give you some player spread and you didn't have the entire server converging on hellfire, a large percentage of the population, but not everyone. layering is cool but its detrimental taken the extreme where it becomes a meta of hopping layers to farm more than was actually possible.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2020-10-31 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    Sorry but people who chose to play Vanilla classic should not get an advantage in TBC classic. You did not sign up to play Vanilla to get an edge in TBC. You played vanilla to play vanilla. There was never any indication that such a progression would ever occur. If were going to play that game, allow people to transfer from Live into TBC classic too. Same thing. I have invested far more into my characters progression on live than anyone has on classic. Either let everyone transfer or no one.

Keep all classic "expansions" 100% segregated.
    I just want to say that is exactly what I did. I have a hunter at 60 and I am going to resub here soon and get my warlock from 31 to 60 so I have two characters ready for tbc. Classic is garbage and I have zero interest in it.

Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    I just want to say that is exactly what I did. I have a hunter at 60 and I am going to resub here soon and get my warlock from 31 to 60 so I have two characters ready for tbc. Classic is garbage and I have zero interest in it.
    Excuse me? classic is garbage? Please speak for yourself. Blizzard really needs to clarify what the fate of classic vanilla will be when classic tbc is released. I, like most people, will not wanna play a game that is going to literally die by being replaced with another (tbc progression on top of classic servers). I am not interested in tbc, for now at least. I just wanna be able to log on to classic vanilla servers and play whenever i feel like it and for however long i feel like or can. I dont wanna feel pressured because they will be removing the possibility of ever playing the classic vanilla game and i like it as it is despite its many shortcomings. It is a piece of gaming history and must remain accessible for as long as feasibly possible. I'll take a break from wow for a few years and come back once these things have been decided and made public and maybe checkout retail every now and then.
    Last edited by RemasteredClassic; 2020-10-29 at 11:28 AM.

Excuse me? classic is garbage? Please speak for yourself. Blizzard really needs to clarify what the fate of classic vanilla will be when classic tbc is released. I, like most people, will not wanna play a game that is going to literally die by being replaced with another (tbc progression on top of classic servers). I am not interested in tbc, for now at least. I just wanna be able to log on to classic vanilla servers and play whenever i feel like it and for however long i feel like or can. I dont wanna feel pressured because they will be removing the possibility of ever playing the classic vanilla game and i like it as it is despite its many shortcomings. It is a piece of gaming history and must remain accessible for as long as feasibly possible. I'll take a break from wow for a few years and come back once these things have been decided and made public and maybe checkout retail every now and then.
    What are you expecting? For them to continue to update classic with content? The most you will get out of classic is a fresh couple servers every few years and hopes that they do better release phases then the first time around. I'm not exactly sure what you are wanting when all content is on farm and there's nothing else to do other than reroll on a fresh server

He did speak for himself. He has just as much right to do so as you do, even if his opinion differs from yours.

They will probably release some info about the future of Classic at Blizzcon 2021 in four months, so a few years break sounds pretty extreme measure.

Yeah, they will delete the characters of everyone not playing TBC.
    Good luck on your break, see in you in a few.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    thing is basically no one will want to start over on a new character, there will probably be many coming players that didn't played classic yet, but so was the case in 2007
    How many times have we started over? Leveling an alt, leveling on another realm, faction change etc? Essentially every expansion release is starting over.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    How many times have we started over? Leveling an alt, leveling on another realm, faction change etc? Essentially every expansion release is starting over.
    you don't start over when your gold isn't reset, your "unlocks" (maps, fly paths, reps, etc) are not reset, when your quest completed are not reset, all of those takes years to do
    other systems like achi/mounts/pets didn't existed before

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    you don't start over when your gold isn't reset, your "unlocks" (maps, fly paths, reps, etc) are not reset, when your quest completed are not reset, all of those takes years to do
    other systems like achi/mounts/pets didn't existed before
    Then only solution is to create servers that you can transfer to and other servers which are fresh starts. This way both sides of players are happy. For those who are not fans of classic or did not play it after 60 due to poorer PVE/PVP designs will now be handicapped by those who have the gold and gear (T3/ trinkets) which are very viable in TBC S1 and T4 content.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Then only solution is to create servers that you can transfer to and other servers which are fresh starts. This way both sides of players are happy. For those who are not fans of classic or did not play it after 60 due to poorer PVE/PVP designs will now be handicapped by those who have the gold and gear (T3/ trinkets) which are very viable in TBC S1 and T4 content.
    well yes options are never a bad thing imo, but fresh servers will probably be quite unpopular compared to copy/transfer ones

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you do after naxx and full bis and all that?

- - - Updated - - -

Source for this?
    At that point you play retail and have constant progression available or i guess you ask them for classic 2.0 with restart of all servers and a total wipe of all classic that got achieved or just run servers where folks are all in bis gear nothing else to do ghost towns and have 2.0 fresh classic where folks do the grind again doing the same quests for the 20th time grind the same dungeons for the 3039th time.

and no way should classic progress beyond classic you start with TBC you than will come to WoTLK and than old world revamp of Cata etc etc etc and i am sure folks dont like that, so the only place to draw the line is dont allow progression beyond classic ever,

Or you could play now in classic and be prepared for TBC. It's not like it's only possible to play after TBC releases.
    -Voltaire
    winning

For me Id take a freshly made classic server starting all over again any day of the week over retail, so please Blizzard lets do it! Classic was ultra fun and great when it started, havent had this much fun in wow in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m fine with people copying over their characters, but they shouldn’t allow gold and items outside of BoP gear to copy with them. People with established power shouldn’t be a thing. It should be a clean slate for everyone as far as financial power goes. If someone wants to retain their power, they can continue playing on the classic servers. TBC classic and classics should have their own dedicated realms so people can choose which content they want to play without feeling forced to choose.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    so people can choose which content they want to play without feeling forced to choose.
    err what? That's a contradiction.
    -Voltaire
    winning

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Well, WotLK has a pretty large fandom and Classic won't last forever with no updates. Assuming Blizzard wants to maximize their profits, which they do, it would be best for them to just let Classic be until subscriptions drop off considerably, then release Wrath. Releasing TBC would gain them nothing. They would lose more players from doing that than just letting classic rot as is.
    How would they lose players from TBC?

Either the classic players won't move cause they like Classic, or they will cause they want TBC. Everyone wins - Classic players play with people who want to play Classic, TBC players play with people who want to play TBC...

I don't get this argument at all.

- - - Updated - - -

It's really not complicated.

Allow transfers, but not for gold.

If you earned it in Classic, you SHOULD have access to it in TBC - You can still go earn it on Classic if you really want it for TBC. That said, the economy would be destroyed if people with thousands of gold suddenly could appear, so the gold can't transfer 1:1.

The way I'd attempt it is: Gold doesn't transfer at all. The FIRST character you move from Classic to TBC, gets an amount based on it's level. (Ex.: A few hundred at 60) This way, you have some gold to start and manage repairs with, can easily begin into Outland, but aren't able to abuse the system to print gold. It also removes the time limit (Doesn't matter when, your first character transfer is what makes the determination) and allows anyone to join TBC at any time, with the same limitations as everyone else.

In addition, if you start a level 1 on TBC, you don't break this rule - As it was started on TBC and wasn't transferred. So you can in fact play TBC from scratch if you feel like it, then benefit from the gold later on.
    Last edited by Maatix; 2020-10-31 at 09:15 PM.

be nice if they fixed a few things though, isnt the blood elf paladin seal VS draenei a big screw up that caused balance issues or would this turn into a nochange QQ thing

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    be nice if they fixed a few things though, isnt the blood elf paladin seal VS draenei a big screw up that caused balance issues or would this turn into a nochange QQ thing
    Depends which patch they start with. But more importantly: It doesn't matter. The point is for this to be a museum style of game - It exists to show what the game was like back then.

Balance is a non-issue.