View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I've got no evidence for this, but I'm pretty sure the Tories have been trying to game the EU regeneration fund, given they get more money to rebuild shitholes the more shitholes they create, and that is PRECISELY the sort of thing the Tories would do--precisely the sort of policy their Europhiles and Eurosceptics can unite on.

Get ready for even more shitholes, as the rich won't want to take a single step backwards for their own lifestyles...
    You make it sound like improving the lives of others is bad thing?
    Or am I reading you wrong.

Sure its being done so that the rich, producing, EU countries can sell them more shit and increase their own wealth but if that is how we make the lives of everyone better? I will gladly go along with it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    You make it sound like improving the lives of others is bad thing?
    Or am I reading you wrong.
    I'm saying the Tories likely look at the regeneration fund, think to themselves "we can get more money out of the EU if we siphon money out of as much of the country as possible," allowing them to line their own pockets--and those of their mates--instead of spending that cash on places that need it, and try to bleed the EU dry of as much money as possible by making the country as shit as possible.

The country stays in managed decline, the Tories don't have to spend any money on us plebs, charity--as we've seen with this school meals debacle--steps up to do the government's job for them, the EU foots the bill for regeneration, and the Tories claim all the credit for intentionally running this country into the fucking ground.

After all, the UK has 9 out of the 10 poorest regions in northern Europe, despite having the sixth-largest economy in the world.
    Last edited by Blayze; 2020-10-25 at 08:53 PM.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I'm saying the Tories likely look at the regeneration fund, think to themselves "we can get more money out of the EU if we siphon money out of as much of the country as possible," allowing them to line their own pockets--and those of their mates--instead of spending that cash on places that need it, and try to bleed the EU dry of as much money as possible by making the country as shit as possible.

The country stays in managed decline, the Tories don't have to spend any money on us plebs, charity--as we've seen with this school meals debacle--steps up to do the government's job for them, the EU foots the bill for regeneration, and the Tories claim all the credit for intentionally running this country into the fucking ground.

After all, the UK has 9 out of the 10 poorest regions in northern Europe, despite having the sixth-largest economy in the world.
    The uk gets 1.4 billion under this fund alone. And May spent more than this in a year alone for her alliance with the DUP. I don't think the stakes are that high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the Poles came to take their jobs it was the Irish after all.
    To play the devil's advocate here, there's a fair point to be made here as social dumping is a real problem. I used to work on construction sites and have friends who still work those jobs.

Being left at home with only 70% of your income while other people get "shipped in" to do the work and go back home later to spend their money there is a problem for your nation economy, taxes and social security system and it's sadly not all corruption and skirting laws. This is also a big problem in the transportation industry.

So i get both sides of this argument, while i don't blame the foreigner for coming to work here as this is a problem created by the current system and economic world we live in that struggles to regulate it all on an EU level. Not that the UK will be able to do anything about that even if they closed off all borders in matter of fact it will hurt their economy more but people don't think about that when they are out of a job they think what effects them right here and now.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

Being left at home with only 70% of your income while other people get "shipped in" to do the work and go back home later to spend their money there is a problem for your nation economy, taxes and social security system and it's sadly not all corruption and skirting laws. This is also a big problem in the transportation industry.
    Most of us run or work in businesses where we have to compete internationally. I can't see any reason to make your building site friends an exception.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUKKBN27B0MM

Customs adviser Anna Jerzewska said every potential delay adds up when trying to predict delivery times for operators of trucks and their drivers, known as hauliers in Britain.

“If you can get your goods elsewhere, why would you not?” she asked. “Why would you continue trading with the UK if you can get something for the same price elsewhere without the hassle and the uncertainty.”
    At least someone understands the danger for the British economy. Two months before the shitshow starts.

Oh, and:

“Kent has always been known as the Garden of England. Now it’s rapidly becoming the lorry park of England.”
    Last edited by Slant; 2020-10-26 at 12:49 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUKKBN27B0MM

At least someone understands the danger for the British economy. Two months before the shitshow starts.

Oh, and:
    This is such a disgrace. Making preparations to replace CHIEF with something else and the need to massively hire customs officer were clear necessities right after the vote. Now the government not only hasn't sent the necessary technical specs to the software developpers, but it has done nothing on time to recruit necessary staff.

"British consumers to benefit from cheaper, high-quality Japanese goods - from udon noodles to Bluefin tuna and Kobe beef."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...rade-agreement

"The signing of this FTA, and its subsequent ratification, will not only strengthen the UK economy but also help us to build back better from Covid-19."

"build back better"?!

WTF? Has Cummings removed grammatical competence as a prerequisite for employment in the Civil Service?

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    "British consumers to benefit from cheaper, high-quality Japanese goods - from udon noodles to Bluefin tuna and Kobe beef."

"The signing of this FTA, and its subsequent ratification, will not only strengthen the UK economy but also help us to build back better from Covid-19."

"build back better"?!

WTF? Has Cummings removed grammatical competence as a prerequisite for employment in the Civil Service?

You missed the follow up to this; we get Soy Sauce on zero tarrifs already through the EU. So this deal can't be any better. Oh, and a great deal of our Soy Sauce actually gets sourced from the EU itself, so if we leave with no-deal the price will go up. Once again our glorious Brexit leaders a) have no idea what the fuck they are talking about and b) are going to make things worse.

The next couple of months are going to be both ridiculous and hilarious in a really dark way.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account

"build back better"?!

But.. Didn't the UK already have a trade deal with Japan through the EU?

What does their new deal allow them that the previous one didn't? Because last I checked, it was just a worse deal all around

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But.. Didn't the UK already have a trade deal with Japan through the EU?

What does their new deal allow them that the previous one didn't? Because last I checked, it was just a worse deal all around
    This deal allows the UK to wait and see what is left over once the EU gets all it wants. The advantage is that should the entire EU die of Soy poisoning, the UK will know better and not use that Soy batch.

Silver lining!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You missed the follow up to this; we get Soy Sauce on zero tarrifs already through the EU. So this deal can't be any better. Oh, and a great deal of our Soy Sauce actually gets sourced from the EU itself, so if we leave with no-deal the price will go up. Once again our glorious Brexit leaders a) have no idea what the fuck they are talking about and b) are going to make things worse.

The next couple of months are going to be both ridiculous and hilarious in a really dark way.
    But there's the follow up to the follow up:
    https://twitter.com/Jim_Cornelius/st...31122512367618

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    We're such a joke of a country right now.

Well, we have been for a few years at this point.
    Give the rest of us a decade to join you and the US to the race to the bottom. It might not all be in vain yet.

"build back better"?!

Would that be the Japan/UK treaty that dribbles previously dragged out? The one that does not actually establish tarrif free quota's but allows the UK to use any leftover quota from the EU/Japan treaty? and because its the UK getting the crumbles left on the table businesses can't actually depend on it for their finances because it the tarrif costs still need to be payed and can only retroactively be claimed back if there was any EU quota left at the end of the term?

It is by every definition at best a worse deal then what the EU/Japan already has, and the UK therefor enjoyed prior to Brexit.

So when Johnson steps down in the New Year when yet another one of his lovechildren is made public (super injunctions being what they are we all have to wait until January) who would people like to replace him/think would make a good replacement? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Would that be the Japan/UK treaty that dribbles previously dragged out? The one that does not actually establish tarrif free quota's but allows the UK to use any leftover quota from the EU/Japan treaty? and because its the UK getting the crumbles left on the table businesses can't actually depend on it for their finances because it the tarrif costs still need to be payed and can only retroactively be claimed back if there was any EU quota left at the end of the term?

It is by every definition at best a worse deal then what the EU/Japan already has, and the UK therefor enjoyed prior to Brexit.
    It is a far better deal for the UK than we had when in the EU and is a solid pathway to CPTPP entry in short order. That'd be done deals with Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam in the bag.

If Japan can do a deal with the UK in 3 months how come the EU after 4 1/2 years are still failing?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    So when Johnson steps down in the New Year when yet another one of his lovechildren is made public (super injunctions being what they are we all have to wait until January) who would people like to replace him/think would make a good replacement? Just curious.
    The King of Europe /10 chars

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

If it could be anyone I'd say go for Dennis Skinner so you can have a few laughs while the country goes to shit. If it had to be a realistic tory choice ... no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    If Japan can do a deal with the UK in 3 months how come the EU after 4 1/2 years are still failing?
    You still haven't actually read and understood either agreement, have you?
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2020-10-30 at 11:48 PM.

Hopefully he stays in office untinl mid-21... every day he cocks up his job is more people in Scotland polling for independence.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a far better deal for the UK than we had when in the EU and is a solid pathway to CPTPP entry in short order. That'd be done deals with Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam in the bag.

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in...hip-agreement/

The EU Japan FTA came into effect January 1st 2019. That you got a deal in your short time negotiating is due to two reasons: 1. You copied the EU agreement verbatim, 2. You agreed to let the EU have first pick at... well, everything, and only get the leftovers.

Same with every other agreement you have made. And the same will be true for every other agreement you will make in the future. I've told you this before, the EU has a clause in EVERY FTA that the trade partner could not give any other third party preferential treatment over the EU without giving the EU AT LEAST the same conditions.

Your argument is a joke. It's so abundantly stupid to say that any deal the UK signs is "better" when the EU has basically "we get the best deal" written into every single FTA... It's beyond words to describe just how mindboggingly retarded the stuff you say is.

I know your just trolling but for the sake of others reading this thread that don't know better, let me EILI5.
    Currently Japan gives the EU 100 apples for free per year, and the UK can take from those.

After Brexit the EU will still get 100 apples for free, but the UK can't touch those. Japan will however sell the UK apples for money.
    If at the end of the year the EU hasn't eaten all their free apples the UK can ask Japan to get some of the money they payed for their apples back. But no more then the amount of apples the EU didn't eat.