Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    Looks like there is no way to fight this virus and we are going to live with the virus for a long time to come. man I miss nightlife and music events and festivals soo much

"Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873
    This is a poor understanding of immunologic memory. Antibody titers typically decline over time, but that's a poor correlate for protective memory. It's well established that T-mediated immunity plays an important role in protection from COVID-19 and there is not presently any good reason to believe that T cell memory declines at a rapid rate. Likewise, circulating antibodies aren't a good measure of memory B cells and ability to rapidly respond to a new infection.

This is bad, sensationalist journalism and if we lived in an era with any remaining standards of journalistic integrity, this reporter would be shamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry Lemon View Post
    no... they're not... they can change it by implementing new or changing laws and regulations... they can't go and tell them to just do something...
    Perhaps not regarding an already implemented strategy, that is quite possible...don't dare to explicitly state anything about that, but i would definitely guess on it being fair game as well. But otherwise, they actually can, most definitely, and often do. Not exactly HOW obviously, that's what they have an agency for pretty much, but definitely WHAT to do. No new laws needed. Normally it's done via "regleringsbrev" obviously, but they can technically pretty much go "this is the outcome we want, make it happen", in terms of an overall strategy or endgame. Very good examples of media-covered instances of pretty harsh goals set forth by the government, after which the agencies had to change their parameters and modus operandi, resulting in having media-outrage showered over them, has been ones involving the Social Insurance Agency and the Public Employment Service. I still remember the one where the Director-General STILL got pretty much fired, for doing as told, when the reaction from the media and general public got too firey...don't get much more of a 'scape-goat situation' than that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is a poor understanding of immunologic memory. Antibody titers typically decline over time, but that's a poor correlate for protective memory. It's well established that T-mediated immunity plays an important role in protection from COVID-19 and there is not presently any good reason to believe that T cell memory declines at a rapid rate. Likewise, circulating antibodies aren't a good measure of memory B cells and ability to rapidly respond to a new infection.

This is bad, sensationalist journalism and if we lived in an era with any remaining standards of journalistic integrity, this reporter would be shamed.
    The BBC often push the government line to condition and manipulate people and it should be read in that context.

With the vaccine likely being delivered for distribution on Monday to UK hospitals the BBC will have been instructed to scare everyone into thinking they have no immunity now even if they have tested +ve for Covid in the past.

Most people I speak to who had a sniffle or cold sometime this year are adamant they already had Covid, even if untested, are immune and so don't need vaccinating. They might be right, they might be wrong.

But it is no good the general population assuming that if the government position is they want as many people as possible to be vaccinated. Cue an article exactly like that...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Mitch McConnel just adjourned Senate until the 9th... no covid relief for at least 2 weeks... with cases climbing... hang on to your butts...
    BuT NaNCy pELosI Won'T MaKE A DEAl!1!1!ELEVEN1!!1ONEONE1!

Watching some of the folks in /r/conservative come to the realization, while claiming "that's a Democrat move", that McConnell is actually the one holding up much needed financial assistance to citizens, small businesses, and states/cities that are grappling with budget problems was a bit of a delight.

As I've said, the US is not capable of effectively combatting a pandemic under the current leadership, or lack thereof. And that trickles down to their followers, much unlike their economic policies.

10+ Year Old Account

The OP's slant aside, that's not what the article actually says, though.
    The Imperial College London team found the number of people testing positive for antibodies has fallen by 26% between June and September.

They say immunity appears to be fading and there is a risk of catching the virus multiple times.

In the first round of testing, at the end of June and the beginning of July, about 60 in 1,000 people had detectable antibodies.

But in the latest set of tests, in September, only 44 per 1,000 people were positive.

It suggests the number of people with antibodies fell by more than a quarter between summer and autumn.

"Immunity is waning quite rapidly, we're only three months after our first [round of tests] and we're already showing a 26% decline in antibodies," said Prof Helen Ward, one of the researchers.

Exactly what the antibody drop means for immunity is still uncertain. There are other parts of the immune system, such as T-cells, which may also play a role, directly killing infected host cells and calling to other immune cells to help out.

However, the researchers warn antibodies tend to be highly predictive of who is protected.

"On the balance of evidence, I would say it would look as if immunity declines away at the same rate as antibodies decline away, and that this is an indication of waning immunity."

There are four other human coronaviruses, which we catch multiple times in our lives. They cause common cold symptoms and we can be reinfected every six to 12 months.

There have been very few confirmed cases of people getting Covid twice. However, the researchers warn this may be due to immunity only just starting to fade since the peak infection rates of March and April.

The hope is the second infection will be milder than the first, even if immunity does decline, as the body should have an "immune memory" of the first encounter and know how to fight back.

The researchers say their findings do not scupper hopes of a vaccine, which may prove more effective than a real infection.

Prof Eleanor Riley, from the University of Edinburgh, said it would be "premature" to assume immunity did not last, but "the data do lend weight to the concern that antibodies induced by natural infection may be short-lived, as is the case for other seasonal coronaviruses."
    To be honest, this study finds nothing that was not already suspected to be the case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The BBC often push the government line to condition and manipulate people and it should be read in that context.

With the vaccine likely being delivered for distribution on Monday to UK hospitals the BBC will have been instructed to scare everyone into thinking they have no immunity now even if they have tested +ve for Covid in the past.

Most people I speak to who had a sniffle or cold sometime this year are adamant they already had Covid, even if untested, are immune and so don't need vaccinating. They might be right, they might be wrong.

But it is no good the general population assuming that if the government position is they want as many people as possible to be vaccinated. Cue an article exactly like that...
    Aren't conspiracy theories not allowed on this forum?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There is and we will.
    Chief of Staff Mark Meadows thinks otherwise - We're not going to control the pandemic.

He's already waving that white flag.

lets hope so buddy, I can't wait for this stupid virus to be over so we can break from the prison we are living in atm, sigh. Once this is all over I'm massively going to support and donate to festival organizers and local music bands and pubs. I can't believe how important they were for me.
    Last edited by Xjev; 2020-10-27 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Nope they arent.. but its dribbles.

7+ Year Old Account
    Where's the conspiracy theory in what I said or by using a double negative in your question are you very cleverly saying there isn't one? If so I, as a purveyor of facts, wholeheartedly agree.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the conspiracy theory in what I said
    Bullshit conspiracy theory, right here:
    ...the BBC will have been instructed to scare everyone into thinking they have no immunity now...
    But we understand, you seem to find it impossible to listen to or understand science.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

7+ Year Old Account
    If so I, as a purveyor of facts.
    This is a lie and can be summarily dismissed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bullshit conspiracy theory, right here:
    The BBC was created by HM Government.
    The BBC licence fee is set by HM Government.
    The BBC Chairman is appointed by HM Government.

This is public knowledge and fact not conspiracy.

The BBC is not independent in any way and will take instructions from HM Government on penalty of its abolition should it choose to do otherwise.

Tune in to live UK BBC news now, not BBC world news, and you can see Aunty delivering that government pro vaccine message right now. No mention that the chances of covid reinfection are miniscule. Better to report no long term immunity from antibodies, best go get that vaccine asap...

But we understand, you seem to find it impossible to listen to or understand science.
    I understand the science, shame the BBC choose to selectively broadcast it.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-10-27 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Showing people scientific studies of no long term Immunity is Manipulation?

Better to report no long term immunity from antibodies, best go get that vaccine asap...
    Vaccines work.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-10-27 at 07:36 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    The BBC was created by HM Government.
    The BBC licence fee is set by HM Government.
    The BBC Chairman is appointed by HM Government.

This is public knowledge and fact not conspiracy.
    None of this is evidence that actually supports your theory of a conspiracy. Just because a thing is possible does not mean that it actually happened.

Lulz. Okay, champ.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

We will check back on the first claim on vaccine distribution as it's likely to be at least 6 weeks too early.

The claim that BBC has been instructed to scare people seems like a conspiracy theory, especially as it's unclear by WHOM.
    You have previously claimed that BBC had pro-EU agenda, and was paid by the EU,
    Ahem, the BBC has received 100's of millions in EU funding, both grants and soft loans. As you say undermining its impartiality as evident in a recent UK referendum that shall go unnamed. Even prompting urgent questions in parliament...
    But now it seems that it's the current anti-EU government in england is ordering BBC around.

That lack of consistency is typical of conspiracy theories. Believing in one conspiracy makes it more likely that you believe another - and the interesting point is that is true even if they directly contradict each other.

They are almost certainly wrong, as only a small percentage in the uk have had covid.

Here's the hidden conspiracy; it's alleged that the government, under BoJo the clown, is doing this for nefarious purposes.
    Why the government would push for mass vaccinations at this point is also unclear; that lack of clarity of purpose is also fairly common for conspiracy theories.

In reality there will not be enough doses for everyone to get vaccinated before next summer, so trying to get everyone vaccinated next week is pointless (especially as the vaccine is unlikely to be ready in the coming month).
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-10-27 at 08:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    lets hope so buddy, I can't wait for this stupid virus to be over so we can break from the prison we are living in atm, sigh. Once this is all over I'm massively going to support and donate to festival organizers and local music bands and pubs. I can't believe how important they were for me.
    For a prison, people sure are doing whatever the fuck they want. As opposed to, a real prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So where is the dude that was arguing this would be over in another week or two since march?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So where is the dude that was arguing this would be over in another week or two since march?
    Still in the White House. Or golfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    BuT NaNCy pELosI Won'T MaKE A DEAl!1!1!ELEVEN1!!1ONEONE1!

Watching some of the folks in /r/conservative come to the realization, while claiming "that's a Democrat move", that McConnell is actually the one holding up much needed financial assistance to citizens, small businesses, and states/cities that are grappling with budget problems was a bit of a delight.

As I've said, the US is not capable of effectively combatting a pandemic under the current leadership, or lack thereof. And that trickles down to their followers, much unlike their economic policies.
    That place along with /r/conspiracy are amazing, you can look anywhere else on the internet and almost everyone is explaining how much of a shit job he is doing (hes actually not doing a damn thing) then venture into either of those subs and they are all balls deep on trump/the GOP about how amazing he/they have handled the pandemic, it's like they live in another universe, pretty scary, but hey, they rammed through some woman who is in a cult, believes in QAnon, doesn't care about gays, blacks or immigrants so yeah they got what they wanted, fuck the other 330,000,000 people.