Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

I do not like sugary performers. And I don't like songs with obscene expressions. Maybe this is certainly possible, defiantly, but I am for cultural communication and normal music, which in theory everyone can listen to. Although there will never be a universal performer for everyone, because everyone has different tastes.

I can tolerate most "mainstream" music but I despise "mumble rap".. it doesn't just sound awful, from my PoV rap is supposed to be about lyricism, rhyme schemes and flow, and the lyrics are supposed to flow with the beat and the rhyme scheme and mumble rap has none of that. It is an insult to real lyricists.
    If there's something I hate more than mumble rap it is any "metal" that uses "growling" vocals or whatever that is called. And the song texts are just way too edgy for me. My first encounter with the music genre were a bunch of beta males who enjoyed songs about.. Killing pregnant women and eating or sacrificing the fetus or some shit and that's just too fucked up for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    If there's something I hate more than mumble rap it is any "metal" that uses "growling" vocals or whatever that is called. And the song texts are just way too edgy for me. My first encounter with the music genre were a bunch of beta males who enjoyed songs about.. Killing pregnant women and eating or sacrificing the fetus or some shit and that's just too fucked up for me.
    Definitely not trying to defend it, but Death Metal lyrics are supposed to be bizarre and over the top.

However since you mentioned "sacrifice" not sure if you are talking about Black Metal. In that case, yeah, the artists are mostly fucked up people.

Who am I to judge though, I love Hardcore shows where actual violence is probably the only outlet due the straight edge movement.

Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    Death Metal lyrics are supposed to be bizarre and over the top.

Black Metal. In that case, yeah, the artists are mostly fucked up people.
    Idk dude I am not really into whatever that genre of music is at all, the lyrics might be "supposed to be over the top" but this was just waaay too over the top for my tastes, moving on into the "what the fuck is wrong with you" when I heard people listen to music with that type of lyricism. From someone who doesn't listen to metal for the most part, death metal.. black metal, what's the difference? I only vaguely remember the weird shit their songs were about because it was somewhat of a "culture shock" to me. I was a very sheltered angsty Linking Park teen at the time. I've moved on to mostly rap music and the "metal" I fuck with now is a few disturbed songs like Warrior and Indestructible, nothing "harder" than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk dude I am not really into whatever that genre of music is at all, the lyrics might be "supposed to be over the top" but this was just waaay too over the top for my tastes, moving on into the "what the fuck is wrong with you" when I heard people listen to music with that type of lyricism. From someone who doesn't listen to metal for the most part, death metal.. black metal, what's the difference? I only vaguely remember the weird shit their songs were about because it was somewhat of a "culture shock" to me. I was a very sheltered angsty Linking Park teen at the time. I've moved on to mostly rap music and the "metal" I fuck with now is a few disturbed songs like Warrior and Indestructible, nothing "harder" than that.
    Both genres evolved since their first iteration but in general:
    • Death Metal is fast and aggressive, lyrics are about mutilation, torture or some weird death related stuff such as necrophilia.
    • Black Metal is abrasive and dark, paying more attetion to atmosphere, lyrics are your typical devil and anti-religion nonsense.

I don't listen to it either even though I had this short phase where I experimented with it. To me the lyrics were not relatable at all, that's why gravitated more towards Nu-Metal (even though I only really listened to Slipknot) and Hardcore because it was more about social and personal issues.

However I totally get it, some styles are not pleasant to listen unless you dig the weirdness. For example The Dillinger Escape Plan is one of my favorite bands and I understand people hating it. It is annoying and abrasive as fuck, but I personally think it is funny and on the other hand I enjoy the level of artistry and skill required to pull it off - it is NOT easy to play.

Both genres evolved since their first iteration but in general:
    • Death Metal is fast and aggressive, lyrics are about mutilation, torture or some weird death related stuff such as necrophilia.
    • Black Metal is abrasive and dark, paying more attetion to atmosphere, lyrics are your typical devil and anti-religion nonsense.
    However I totally get it, some styles are not pleasant to listen unless you dig the weirdness. For example The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Yeah I think the genre those dudes were into where the Death Metal one, sounds a bit more like that is the case. Idk could be some combination of the two.

I clicked the link and that is definitely not for me. Couldn't understand a word but Just the way he was singing was annoying me.

Quote Originally Posted by Archipelagos View Post
    OASIS is trash.
    This made me laugh out loud haha. Thanks for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I clicked the link and that is definitely not for me. Couldn't understand a word but Just the way he was singing was annoying me.
    I told you, haha. You got to embrace the weirdness to enjoy it.

15+ Year Old Account
    After reading all 9 pages of this thread it is my unpopular opinion that anyone who can only mention - Drake / Kanye / Metallica / Nickleback / Coldplay / The Beatles etc... Or those who right off entire genres and the sub-genres as "not music", none of you actually listen to a wide selection of music.

Wether that be a wide range of genres, or a wide range of artists within only a few genres. Your musical views are narrower than a tightrope.

EDIT - Shoutout to those giving love to Devin Townsend

Quote Originally Posted by Axigar View Post
    After reading all 9 pages of this thread it is my unpopular opinion that anyone who can only mention - Drake / Kanye / Metallica / Nickleback / Coldplay / The Beatles etc... Or those who right off entire genres and the sub-genres as "not music", none of you actually listen to a wide selection of music.

Wether that be a wide range of genres, or a wide range of artists within only a few genres. Your musical views are narrower than a tightrope.

EDIT - Shoutout to those giving love to Devin Townsend
    Yeah that’s the gist of what I get from this entire thing.

ITT: I listen to like 5 songs and anyone outside of these 5 songs isn’t considered music.

Quote Originally Posted by Axigar View Post
    those who right off entire genres and the sub-genres as "not music", none of you actually listen to a wide selection of music.

Well, music is kind of a special thing isn't it. I know a lot of people who listen to music in languages they don't even understand, but they like it because of how it sounds. If the music that "speaks" to you have a completely different sound than some other genre of music, say metal/dubstep it is not very likely that they will enjoy that. I mean sure some do, and that's great for them. There's nothing wrong with having "narrow musical tastes" or liking a wide range of music. Music is a very subjective thing. Writing off genres is perfectly valid. Take 10 bands and/or 10 artists in the same genre, sure they are different but when it comes down to it, their "sound" is similar because it is all in the same genre. You can do the same with film genres. Take horror for instance, if you've watched a bunch of horror movies and didn't like them, there are thousands more that you probably won't like either. Sure they are all different in some ways, but they are all still horror movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, music is kind of a special thing isn't it. I know a lot of people who listen to music in languages they don't even understand, but they like it because of how it sounds. If the music that "speaks" to you have a completely different sound than some other genre of music, say metal/dubstep it is not very likely that they will enjoy that. I mean sure some do, and that's great for them. There's nothing wrong with having "narrow musical tastes" or liking a wide range of music. Music is a very subjective thing. Writing off genres is perfectly valid. Take 10 bands and/or 10 artists in the same genre, sure they are different but when it comes down to it, their "sound" is similar because it is all in the same genre. You can do the same with film genres. Take horror for instance, if you've watched a bunch of horror movies and didn't like them, there are thousands more that you probably won't like either. Sure they are all different in some ways, but they are all still horror movies.
    Yeah, agree with that.

Some people just don't give a fuck about music, it simply is not that interesting to them. It is just a background noise for them and I am fine with that. Everybody has different hobbies, for example I respect dancing as an art and yet I have zero interest in that. I can hardly name the style when I see it, sure I know the major ones but if it weren't for the musical education I have I would probably see little difference between waltz and foxtrot (waltz is in 3/4 while foxtrot is in 4/4).

To be honest, I kind of hate music snobs. I like what I like and there is no need to feel superior about that because there are always two sides to that. For example I like extreme genres and yet I can still enjoy the fuck out of something like Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia (the album is great by the way). You can find people hating or praising you for that and I don't need some strangers to validate my opinion. I explored music because it is my passion, hobby (I sing and play drums) and therapy (I believe aggressive music saved my ass).

Yeah, agree with that.

Some people just don't give a fuck about music, it simply is not that interesting to them. It is just a background noise for them and I am fine with that. Everybody has different hobbies, for example I respect dancing as an art and yet I have zero interest in that. I can hardly name the style when I see it, sure I know the major ones but if it weren't for the musical education I have I would probably see little difference between waltz and foxtrot (waltz is in 3/4 while foxtrot is in 4/4).

To be honest, I kind of hate music snobs. I like what I like and there is no need to feel superior about that because there are always two sides to that. For example I like extreme genres and yet I can still enjoy the fuck out of something like Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia (the album is great by the way). You can find people hating or praising you for that and I don't need some strangers to validate my opinion. I explored music because it is my passion, hobby (I sing and play drums) and therapy (I believe aggressive music saved my ass).
    yeah it is kind of the same with film snobs. I know one and he just feels sooo superior for enjoying "artsy" movies that I think most people would find quite boring.
    I am personally not that invested in music, I like rap music because I dig the skill it takes to make complex rhyme schemes and that it sounds just awesome when all the words flow together like that. But it is not like I spend a lot of time listening to music, maybe once in a while.. I know people who can't play video games or go outside without their music, but I just can't walk around or sit with music all the time.

I don't even know what 3/4 and 4/4 means so yeah haha.

Musical content is almost always more important than lyrical content. I'd rather listen to some nonsensical Japanese song about toast with a funky melody & catchy backbeat than a poignant lyrical masterpiece with shit musical backing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am personally not that invested in music, I like rap music because I dig the skill it takes to make complex rhyme schemes and that it sounds just awesome when all the words flow together like that.
    Yeah, it is cool. I like rap too, but mainly old school - Ice Cube's Death Certificate is one of my all time favourites albums ever.

Music is super interesting when you start to understand what the rules are and how and when you can break them.

But it is not like I spend a lot of time listening to music, maybe once in a while.. I know people who can't play video games or go outside without their music, but I just can't walk around or sit with music all the time.
    I turn on music all the time - when I work, train, cook or clean up.

I don't even know what 3/4 and 4/4 means so yeah haha.
    It means how many beats are there in a measure, the numbers means how many notes of which value are there.

4/4 is considered the standard, pretty much 99,99% of mainstream music is in that time signature and therefore you call the fundamental rhythmic unit a quarter note - a one quarter of whole measure. That means that a 3/4 is one quarter note short when compared to 4/4.

If you were to follow the basic drum beat, it usually starts with a bass drum (sometimes called kick) on beat 1 and 3 while snare or claps are on beats 2 a 4. So if you try to cut down the same rhythmic pattern down to 3/4 it would be: 1kick, 2clap, 3kick, 1kick, 2clap, 3kick and so on.

Now this beat can feel awkward but it is totally legit 3/4. You can also get crazy with time signatures such as 7/8 or even fucking 15/16. Just so you can understand, you can split quarter note into 2 eight notes or 4 sixteen notes, meaning you can get a time signature short of of just one half or one quarter of a quarter note. Or you can go the other direction that 2 quarter notes are 1 half note.

4/4 is considered the standard, pretty much 99,99% of mainstream music is in that time signature and therefore you call the fundamental rhythmic unit a quarter note - a one quarter of whole measure. That means that a 3/4 is one quarter note short when compared to 4/4.

If you were to follow the basic drum beat, it usually starts with a bass drum (sometimes called kick) on beat 1 and 3 while snare or claps are on beats 2 a 4. So if you try to cut down the same rhythmic pattern down to 3/4 it would be: 1kick, 2clap, 3kick, 1kick, 2clap, 3kick and so on.

Now this beat can feel awkward but it is totally legit 3/4. You can also get crazy with time signatures such as 7/8 or even fucking 15/16. Just so you can understand, you can split quarter note into 2 eight notes or 4 sixteen notes, meaning you can get a time signature short of of just one half or one quarter of a quarter note. Or you can go the other direction that 2 quarter notes are 1 half note.
    so kinda like Axis of Awesome - 4 chord song? Don't know how to mask links with text like you did with the song link so not sure how to link that here.

10+ Year Old Account
    so kinda like Axis of Awesome - 4 chord song? Don't know how to mask links with text like you did with the song link so not sure how to link that here.
    Yes and no, Axis of Awesome is more about showing how most pop songs use same chord progressions but it also works thanks to common 4/4 time signature.

What I was talking about was feel of the music as time signatures play huge role in that, it is hard to explain without actually showing. To me 4/4 is even as if you were walking while 3/4 feels like riding a wave with a slower rise and fast crash.

For example a rap song in 3/4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALtP...ature=emb_logo
    If you count the beats, the guitar marks the 1 while the snare drum falls on 3. Don't be fooled by the double time shuffle on hats in the background though, the tempo is slow. It would be possible to dance a waltz to this song.

EDIT: You hide link behind a text with an icon that looks like a planet behind two chain links

10+ Year Old Account
    Rap and Country Western should cease to exist.
    Putin khuliyo

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    K-pop is shite.
    Me not that kind of Orc!