Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    So much for RDNA 2 only being 15% faster than a 2080TI like some AIB leakers were claiming.
    It was pretty clear they had a lower tier card from the beginning, we just thought it may be the Navi 20XT.. But then we saw the tease in the Zen 3 event and figured it was probably a Navi 20XL.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It was pretty clear they had a lower tier card from the beginning, we just thought it may be the Navi 20XT.. But then we saw the tease in the Zen 3 event and figured it was probably a Navi 20XL.
    Right, right. I'm just commenting on some of the posters here who think AIBs are the only source for leaks.

>no RT performance shown
    >no DLSS 2.0 alternative
    >"famous" AMD launch drivers

3080Ti it is for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    >no RT performance shown
    >no DLSS 2.0 alternative
    >"famous" AMD launch drivers

3080Ti it is for me
    Yeah, even if the 6900xt is going to be better bang for the buck than the 3090, until I believe they'll run as stable as Nvidia, I'm still sticking with team green.
    Also CUDA acceleration is a thing, so even if AMD was 100% stable, I'd prooooooobably still run Nvidia for the foreseeable future..

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to benchmarks from independent reviewers, even if i wont upgrade from my 5700xt, competition is always exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm still sticking with team green.
    Same here.
    Changed back from a ZEN2 => i9 10900k (solid OC with undervolting, so maybe rocket_lake upgrade, maybe not) and would like a 3080. But I am in no rush, waiting for a TUF at stock as long as it takes, got a 2070-S for shadowlands and only playing CPU heavy games, so its fine.

AMDs 1:1 performance without_DLSS, without vulcan_RTX and with just DX_RT is pretty underwhelming. The current comparison looks even worse as the 2070-S vs 5700 XT, that also nobody bought for serious gaming.
    -

The 6800XT looks promising for my setup. Definately will not be buying a RTX 3070 tomorrow. Now that the stage has been set my wish is that AMD will not have a paper launch disaster like the green camp did. This new beast of a card will arrive in time for Shadowlands and Cyberpunk. Cant freaking wait!

I'm wondering if Newegg will even sell 3070 cards right now. They removed all the ones previously listed and you can't really search for them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalrus2010 View Post
    I don't know. The fps chart they showed comparing to the 3080 was pretty whack. Just checking various fps benchmarks and quite a few of them weren't accurate on NVidia's side. Not that I'm shocked.

Granted the 6900xt is definitely a better deal than the 3090 no question. Anyone know if they have a DLSS alternative?
    Supposedly AMD's DLSS alternative will be patched in either in December or January.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Yeah, even if the 6900xt is going to be better bang for the buck than the 3090, until I believe they'll run as stable as Nvidia, I'm still sticking with team green.
    Also CUDA acceleration is a thing, so even if AMD was 100% stable, I'd prooooooobably still run Nvidia for the foreseeable future..
    Do you have a view on the value of their Overclocking gimmick with AMD CPU + AMD GPU? For someone who knows what they're doing with their cards I imagine it's exactly that, a gimmick, but if you're not confident with how to Overclock is it a good option?

Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Do you have a view on the value of their Overclocking gimmick with AMD CPU + AMD GPU? For someone who knows what they're doing with their cards I imagine it's exactly that, a gimmick, but if you're not confident with how to Overclock is it a good option?
    Rage mode is an overclock and only represents like 1%. Smart Access Memory is actually very impressive with the performance gains according to Gamers Nexus.

Really good cards from AMD but not enough to make me go with team red yet.

Some of the new features and the few extra % of rasterization performance for cheaper are nice but the lack of super sampling is a considerable downside for me. An AMD version of DLSS seems to be on the way but there's no date and no guarantee that it'll be good (look at DLSS 1.0).

I also have concerns about the drivers. While the RX5xxx now work flawlessly, it took AMD a whole year to provide functional drivers and until it is certain that they can provide stable drivers, at least on a monthly basis, I'm a little hesitant to make the jump.

So, definitely impressive cards, but AMD still has a lot of things to prove. If they can show us, during the next year, that these concerns have no more reason to be, then I'll definitely consider their GPUs for the next generation. At the moment and having tested DLSS 2.0, the extra 50$ is for me definitely worth losing a few % less in rasterization performance.

That said, yeah, the 3090 had terrible value in the first place and it's now even worse.

Anyway, great job AMD! This looks promising for the next generations. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Loeko; 2020-10-29 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    RIP the 3070, 3080 and 3090.

For context...

The 72 CU 6800 XT is tied with the 3080 and has 16 GB of Vram. It also scales better at 1440p than the 3080. It costs $649.

There's a 6800 that beats the crap out of the 3070 with 16 gb of VRAM.

There's an 80 CU unit. 6900 XT ties the 3090! It costs $1000.
    they showed nothing with raytracing performance and dont have an answer for DLSS released yet...so i wouldnt say RIP just yet...or at all really...AMD is notorious for having garbage drivers for over a decade now. So yea...I would say RIP our wallets because no we actually have choices. Glad to see Lisa Su do what shes done with AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD stuff looks good. Rage mode enabled on the top card chart is sneaky but within what I expect on a marketing slide. All shortcuts from both vendors disabled I expect them both to be competitive choices. Finally a battle on the top-end.

Ok, so apparently Rage Mode isn't auto OC like their slide said. Or at least in it's fullest sense. It increases the power slider of the card by some amount(not to max) and compensates with higher fan curve. And apparently it's a 1-2% performance increase(from higher game clock) only.

15+ Year Old Account
    These new AMD cards look great. I have a 2080Ti which I bought for €600.
    I'd probably get that money back if I sold it now.
    6800 looks nice for the price, but so does 6800XT. I'd have to pay some €300 extra for about 30% more performance.
    But the I'd be without a video card for a while.

DLSS is nice to have now. However I doubt its future. It's created to negate the huge Ray Tracing requirements. Once cards capable of RT that get neglible performance hit, DLSS will probably lose value.

Nvidia will have to retaliate. A company that was lagging behind big time for over 5 years just released better products.
    Both 3080 and 3090 got smacked. It was smart to wait on AMD. Now it's smart to wait and see Nvidia response.
    Their pride got hit, not just their cards.

Very glad to hear that the early rumors of 2080ti + 10-15% performance were not true. Will be getting the 6800xt.... probably with the 5600x, don't think I need a more expensive CPU for gaming.

About to attempt to order a 3070. This will be interesting lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baza View Post
    Very glad to hear that the early rumors of 2080ti + 10-15% performance were not true. Will be getting the 6800xt.... probably with the 5600x, don't think I need a more expensive CPU for gaming.
    Keep in mind that until real world, independent benchmarks come out, it is nothing more than corporate PR.

What is being left out of the discussions is that the main speed boost requires: 1) RX 6000 GPU, 2) Ryzen 5000 series CPU, 3) 500-series motherboard, and 4) software that supports it. That's right, for the Smart Memory Access to work, developers will have to support it. Which means if you build this in the next few months, you won't see any of that massive speed benefit at all. And, without reliable independent benchmarks, you might be putting together something rather slow, even considering the cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    6800XT looks like a nice upgrade from my Vega 56. The 6800 being somewhere in between a 3070 and a 3080 doesn't really seem worth the rather minor price drop from a 6800XT, ofc it highly depends on what the actual store pricing here in EU will be like. Even the cheapest and crappiest AIB 3080 models are at least $50 over MSRP here, and ofc none of them are available nor is the founder's edition. Probably won't be able to get one for several months.

As for DLSS... Whatever the "Super Sampling" is that Microsoft and AMD (+others) are working on will be the default upscaling technology going forward. Simply because it will be available for Xbox, almost certainly the PS, and AMD GPU's. It's what every game developer going for a multi-platform game will implement. Doesn't really matter if it'll be slightly worse than Nvidia DLSS at that point, because it will be broadly available where as DLSS is.... not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Keep in mind that until real world, independent benchmarks come out, it is nothing more than corporate PR.

What is being left out of the discussions is that the main speed boost requires: 1) RX 6000 GPU, 2) Ryzen 5000 series CPU, 3) 500-series motherboard, and 4) software that supports it. That's right, for the Smart Memory Access to work, developers will have to support it. Which means if you build this in the next few months, you won't see any of that massive speed benefit at all. And, without reliable independent benchmarks, you might be putting together something rather slow, even considering the cost.
    I think you misunderstood the Smart Memory Access a bit. It will work in anything just with a flip of a BIOS toggle (given that you have the required hardware), it might work more or less well depending on the application as can be seen from the presentation where it was, if I remember correctly, anywhere from 3% to 13% more performance depending on the game. None of those games are optimized in any way for Smart Memory.

Now, going forward games can be additionally designed/optimized to take advantage of Smart Memory Access for even more gains, but what kind of gains that means is ofc completely unknown at this point.