Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyfists View Post
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fanta...v-player-count - Final Fantasy's player count hit 20 million
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/22/f...llion-players/ - Multiple Sources for you

If these numbers are true then unless WoW has surpassed its prime of 12 million players back during Wrath of the Lich King then Its safe to say Final Fantasy could be seen as a threat to World of Warcraft as a whole.
    You gotta read more carefully and learn to interpret numbers:

Final Fantasy XIV player count has now hit 20 million registered users. That includes anyone who has played the free trial, but it’s impressive nonetheless.

For some context, 6 years ago WoW already had over 100million registered users.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2020-10-29 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Blizz cares about competing releases anymore with WoW. But it does suck for those of us who want to raid and also play Cyberpunk.

Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    I don't think Blizz cares about competing releases anymore with WoW. But it does suck for those of us who want to raid and also play Cyberpunk.
    I have a feeling its going to impact Cyberpunk more then its going to impact Shadowlands.

People who raid are gonna raid. Cyberpunk will have to wait(at least for me)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fanta...v-player-count - Final Fantasy's player count hit 20 million
    https://venturebeat.com/2020/07/22/f...llion-players/ - Multiple Sources for you

If these numbers are true then unless WoW has surpassed its prime of 12 million players back during Wrath of the Lich King then Its safe to say Final Fantasy could be seen as a threat to World of Warcraft as a whole. It might not be the WoW killer but it is the WoW competitor and it would make sense to tailor its release dates around FFXIV's schedule in order to retain player interest in the MMORPG genre.
    https://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/53...ounts-lifetime that's the only comparable metric we have to the 20 million registered players for FFXIV.
    “When I became a man I put away childish things,
    including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I have a feeling its going to impact Cyberpunk more then its going to impact Shadowlands.

People who raid are gonna raid. Cyberpunk will have to wait(at least for me)
    Well, unless you raid 16 hours a day for months you can do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Cyberpunk 2077 is the most anticipated game release in history. Several developers, even the ones of Path of Exile, not in direct genre-competition with CP2077, have altered their content schedule around Cyberpunk. Part of the Activision-Blizzard decision to release Shadowlands when they are is precisely that it preempts CP2077, and with good SL content over the months of December and January hopefully those players can be retained even in the face of Releasing the Kraken.
    Wait, what? What is this? Cyberpunk 2077 is anticipated, but the most anticipated game release in history? No, that is not even remotely close to being accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Well, unless you raid 16 hours a day for months you can do both.
    If i raided 16 hours a day i doubt i'd have a job :P

I have 2 kids and a fulltime job so my gametime outside weekends is pretty low. I had more time with work from home but sadly we arent doign that anymore

It might have impacted the launch, which might have been why they decided to release SL before december, but i don't see it as a direct competitor in the long run.

CDPR has become quite a player in the game-development market...
    (Albeit we all know it's gonna happen,) i hope they don't fall over like Bioware did.

If these numbers are true then unless WoW has surpassed its prime of 12 million players back during Wrath of the Lich King then Its safe to say Final Fantasy could be seen as a threat to World of Warcraft as a whole. It might not be the WoW killer but it is the WoW competitor and it would make sense to tailor its release dates around FFXIV's schedule in order to retain player interest in the MMORPG genre.
    Have you actually read those articles beyond the titles?
    Because if you did, and had any kind of insight into the MMO market combined with basic reading comprehension you wouldn't be writing that paragraph.
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2020-10-30 at 06:32 AM.

Boy this thread did not age well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I understand that you are a big fan of Cyberpunk.

Sometimes its better to stand back a little before letting the hype completely overcome you though.
    i'm not and i didn't preorder it even
    I prefer fantasy a lot more
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy XIV will release patch 5.4 in december no matter what

*Shadowlands launches November 23rd, a week before December*

Yes It might be a conspiracy but these dates are way too close to be coincidence.
    ROFL!

No they are NOT "too close to be coincidence". That's just ludicrous. They may well end up three weeks or more apart, and if FFXIV hadn't also delayed (as everyone is doing), it would have beaten WoW to the punch. And hell, even if FFXIV had released first, and WoW on, say, the 15th, you'd still be claiming it was a secret plan. It's just ludicrous. And the idea that "Patch 5.4" is so important it has to be blocked seems completely fantastical. If it was an expansion and Blizzard managed to land, say, two weeks before, sure. But a fucking content patch? Seriously? Looking at what's in it, this looks like a X.X.5-type content patch too, not even a big one.

And you think Blizzard are "out to get" FFXIV because they're releasing within a month of FFXIV? Basically that seems to be your logic.

Also correct me if im wrong, but I believe FFXIV is on PAR with WoW in terms of active subscribers at the moment so its 2 popular kids going after one another in order to gain more influence.
    You're being completely ridiculous.

AFAIK, you're dead wrong re: subscribers. I've heard this completely unsourced claim that FFXIV has "2 million" subscribers like, over, and over, and over from FFXIV fans, almost since it launched, and never once have they ever cited anything to support that. And Square sure as fuck haven't claimed it. The only source I can find is this:

https://mmo-population.com/r/ffxiv

That shows it as having 2.16m daily players but again suggests no source.

And the same site has WoW at 5.92m daily players (again unsourced).

https://mmo-population.com/r/wow/

So that's not even close. And those appear to be made-up figures anyway, probably extrapolated from some tiny data set. If you can provide me better figures, please do.

- - - Updated - - -

The 20m figure is REGISTERED players, not SUBSCRIBERS.

READ. YOUR. OWN. ARTICLES.

Jesus wept. This sort of "I read the headline but not the text" shit is what's wrong with the internet.

WoW passed 100m registered players in 2014. So WoW had 5x as many registered players 6 years ago as FFXIV does now, in 2020 (which is when they announced 20m registered players).

(Source: https://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/53...ounts-lifetime)
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-10-30 at 03:27 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Edit just incase I get accused : I am not a FFXIV apologist, I actually subscribe to both World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy and I see the strengths of both games. I love the Size and scale of WoW's raiding while I prefer the depth and world building of Final Fantasy's story. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses.

Edit 2 - I also have played end game content sadly I didn't get my Mythic kill of N'zoth before my raiding team took a break but 11 out of 12 mythic isn't bad. I have killed Savage Shiva and The Epic of Alexander in FFXIV as well. I have every class in FFXIV and WoW max level, geared, and can say safely I have traversed both worlds to completion to form my opinions.

Edit 3 - Also Final Fantasy may have a leg up on WoW in terms of subscribers as its playable on more than just a PC. Therefore you can have access to both the PC and Console market which gives it an edge over WoW.
    Holy shit, your entire post history is bringing up FFXIV in WoW threads, literal fucking shill.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli85 View Post
    Wait, what? What is this? Cyberpunk 2077 is anticipated, but the most anticipated game release in history? No, that is not even remotely close to being accurate.
    This is not possible for either of us to prove, but I'm curious as to what games you think were (or are) more anticipated. Half-Life 3 isn't actually a game - it's the possibility of a game. It's not in development. Super Mario Galaxy? The Sims 2? Dark Souls 2? Breath of the Wild? Halo 2? The Last of Us 2?

The game industry and playerbase has expanded greatly over the past few decades, so no old game can qualify due to lack of population and relatively casual attitude toward games in the past. So Ultima V is not a serious offer.

I'm going from the response I've seen online, and it's nothing I've ever seen before for a video game. Admittedly, I'm biased, since I'm a fan of the Witcher series, CD Projekt Red, and plan to buy Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm attempting to be fair in my assessment.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going from the response I've seen online, and it's nothing I've ever seen before for a video game. Admittedly, I'm biased, since I'm a fan of the Witcher series, CD Projekt Red, and plan to buy Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm attempting to be fair in my assessment.
    It is simply the most anticipated game in the last few years. Others have had a lot of hype before. Grand Theft Auto 5 was big. If GTA 6 was closer to release it would likely easily eclipse Cyberpunk.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is simply the most anticipated game in the last few years. Others have had a lot of hype before. Grand Theft Auto 5 was big. If GTA 6 was closer to release it would likely easily eclipse Cyberpunk.
    I agree that GTA 5 was big. GTA 4 was arguably more anticipated for its time, but social media exploded between 4 and 5 which made the anticipation for 5 much more prominent.

What takes away from the anticipation for GTA games is that gamers can already play the existing GTA games, which are merely somewhat less elaborate and technologically sophisticated versions of the same thing. There's nothing like Cyberpunk 2077 in existence - the closest thing is The Witcher 3 and that has extremely different aesthetics, themes, and much different gameplay. Many gamers have been wanting something like Cyberpunk 2077 since Blade Runner, with games like Shadowrun being poor versions compared to what is possible using modern technology.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing like Cyberpunk 2077 in existence - the closest thing is The Witcher 3 and that has extremely different aesthetics, themes, and much different gameplay. Many gamers have been wanting something like Cyberpunk 2077 since Blade Runner, with games like Shadowrun being poor versions compared to what is possible using modern technology.
    There have been big popular RPG's including ones in a sci-fi setting. Cyberpunk isn't originally for gaming. The hype is because it is being done by the creators of The Witcher 3 and not because it is some revolutionary never before been done thing.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Raiding starts on Cyberpunk's release date proving Cyberpunk was irrelevant to their decision making process.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Blizzard obviously doesn't agree with you. Cyberpunk was irrelevant to them.
    Raiding is an entirely different thing to expansion release. One is played by a tiny percentage of the player base. The other is played by the entire player base.

And who says Cyberpunk was irrelevant? What if Blizzard moved the new date forward to take the now free end of November slot versus the start of December which is now occupied by one of the most anticipated titles in years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Raiding is an entirely different thing to expansion release. One is played by a tiny percentage of the player base. The other is played by the entire player base. And who says Cyberpunk was irrelevant? What if Blizzard moved the new date forward to take the now free end of November slot versus the start of December which is now occupied by one of the most anticipated titles in years.
    Raiding, including the mythic race, is the biggest end game thing for WoW. It really isn't that different. Those who don't raid can take breaks to play Cyberpunk with out much worry. Because they are more casual. Raiders, at least at the start of an expansion, have a lot to do and prepare for in a short period of time. What new date is Blizzard supposed to move forward? The expansion is already release at the end of November.

I’m not a fan of open world rpgs, too many things to do, they become (for me) quickly overwhelming.

I recall that when it came out I bought and started at least 10 times in the next 2-3 years Morrowind, but every time I quickly gave up because there were too many things to do and I was lost.

I’m more the SWTOR/Dragon Age rpgs type.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    Raiding is an entirely different thing to expansion release. One is played by a tiny percentage of the player base. The other is played by the entire player base.

And who says Cyberpunk was irrelevant? What if Blizzard moved the new date forward to take the now free end of November slot versus the start of December which is now occupied by one of the most anticipated titles in years.
    Riading is still a very important part, especially Mythic World First race. IF they turly cared about Cyberpunk at all, the ywould have planned around it. The fact they have a significant start date at the same time tells me it was irrelevant.