Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadowlands: Bastion from Above

Shadowlands: Bastion from Above
    Blizzard has released a video preview of Bastion, the paradisiacal realm inhabited by the steadfast Kyrian.

It this... Warcraft?

My least favourite zone of SL so far, aesthetically at least.

What an angelic place.. I just love the vibes. The grass and the sun slightly reminds me Destiny's 2, one of a Mercury's strike points.

I myself grew up in a sunny place so I fucking hate gloominess. I'm most certainly going to dislike maldraxxus for never to be returned there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Bleh. Fine if you're a paladin or priest I guess. I can't see my shaman or druid having any business there. :-P

On a more technical note...I'm a bit disappointed with the layouts and textures shown here. When I think of a holy-themed afterlife, I think of the Silver City from Diablo 3. Clean shapes, precise geometry, order imposed over everything but with an aesthetically appealing architecture.

What Blizz showed us in this video is....not that. It just looks like a blue and white palette swap for any of a million other zones we've seen. Grassy hills, check. Messy dirt walkways, check. Random structures placed wherever they can be shoved in to maximize quests-per-zone, check. The zone is a pastiche of a pastiche, a recolored imitation of what we've already experienced too many times before. It feels, in a word...lazy.
    Agree 100% with that assesment. It just doesn't look as pristine as I expected it when I first heard the theme of the zone.

That's a solid 30fps right there.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bleh. Fine if you're a paladin or priest I guess. I can't see my shaman or druid having any business there. :-P

On a more technical note...I'm a bit disappointed with the layouts and textures shown here. When I think of a holy-themed afterlife, I think of the Silver City from Diablo 3. Clean shapes, precise geometry, order imposed over everything but with an aesthetically appealing architecture.

What Blizz showed us in this video is....not that. It just looks like a blue and white palette swap for any of a million other zones we've seen. Grassy hills, check. Messy dirt walkways, check. Random structures placed wherever they can be shoved in to maximize quests-per-zone, check. The zone is a pastiche of a pastiche, a recolored imitation of what we've already experienced too many times before. It feels, in a word...lazy.
    If we were ever going to get any thing like the silver City it would be in a light based plane. The narru are pretty much already the diablo angles just light and sound just without the humanoid body’s and they got that whole crystal thing going for Them already.

Bastion is just our like what 3rd? Lame Valkyrie stand in?

It is more a Greek afterlife with somewhat Catholic influences I would say...

Was my take from the beta. Bastion is BORING. But it's the first zone everyone has to go through, so it's wide open, and very linear. It's going to be very, very crowded early on. It's Nagrand/Outlands with different architecture. I noticed right away - same critters, same pools, same lumpy hills, etc. There's nothing really "new" there. Just a different paintjob and theme music.

Maldraxxus is the worst. It's boring, everything takes place in cramped corners, and it's ugly.

Ardenweald looks like any druid zone they've ever made. If you played a druid in legion, and went in the class hall? You've seen Ardenweald. It's pretty, though. Frustrating to navigate. (All of Shadowlands is frustrating to navigate. You'll see. Right around your 10th transit from a zone to Oribos, or a zone - Oribos - zone, you'll be going "Fuck this!")

Revendreth is the shining star of the world building. Castle Nathria and the rest of the zones around it - top notch. Some of the best work they've ever done. Fun exploring.

That's your expansion. Have fun. Give it the old school try, Blizzard is counting on you to find ways to endure it, so they don't have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bastion looks beautiful, if there ever was a Holy City this is a good candidate(Metaphorically holy that is >.>).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I still can't take these blue people serious.

I look forward to looking at bastion from above, in like a year when flying is unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Dreamer View Post
    It this... Warcraft?
    Wait till you're actually there. I felt like my character model was out of place there but you can't really see it in videos or pictures.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLoque View Post
    That's a solid 30fps right there.
    I lold harder then I should, but I liked this.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    It this... Warcraft?
    No....
    THIS IS WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

Bastion is a beautiful zone. Love the calm atmosphere on the plains. Interesting questline too imo.

Oh, I can't wait to serve the noble Kyrian!

It this... Warcraft?
    No, this is Patrick.

Looks wonderfully outlandish and full of colour. Something WoW has been lacking in for some time now. Somewhat reminds me of Mac'Aree, another really nice, unique looking zone.

The Shadowlands Expansion..... IS NOT PREPARED!