Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blizzard rushing out content before Q4 2020

Nov 23 - Shadowlands
    Dec 3 - Naxx
    Dec 8 - Shadowlands raid and season 1

Why is Blizzard rushing everything out so soon?

1. We are in the midst of the big holiday season: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. This will hamstring their ability to support the game but also impact on engagement with the content. Why would they jeopardise the release of the content like that?

2. We are also in the midst of a once in a century pandemic. As Blizzard has acknowledged this has reduced their working capacity. Why would they then decide to rush all this content out during the holidays when extensive post-release support is required? How are they going to manage this? For both versions of WoW.

3. They are also releasing the content on the eve of the most anticipated game in many years (Cyberpunk). Despite the contrary, there is crossover between WoW and Cyberpunk and there is also crossover between Classic and Retail. This will also result in almost no media exposure for WoW. Mixing the three together, plus whatever else is being released, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

What is going on at Blizz HQ right now? Why are they so hellbent on getting this all out by Q4 2020? Is the Activision Blizzard situation that dire? Or are they banking on Cyberpunk getting delayed once again?

10+ Year Old Account
    They’re aware that the USA will likely be in an all out civil war by January, so they wanna give us some nice goodies to enjoy before we get yeeted by pink haired zoomers

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Nov 23 - Shadowlands
    Dec 3 - Naxx

1. We are in the midst of the big holiday season: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. This will hamstring their ability to support the game but also impact on engagement with the content. Why would they jeopardise the release of the content like that?

2. We are also in the midst of a once in a century pandemic. As Blizzard has acknowledged this has reduced their working capacity. Why would they then decide to rush all this content out during the holidays when extensive post-release support is required? How are they going to manage this? For both versions of WoW.

3. They are also releasing the content on the eve of the most anticipated game in many years (Cyberpunk). Despite the contrary, there is crossover between WoW and Cyberpunk and there is also crossover between Classic and Retail. This will also result in almost no media exposure for WoW. Mixing the three together, plus whatever else is being released, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

What is going on at Blizz HQ right now? Why are they so hellbent on getting this all out by Q4 2020? Is the Activision Blizzard situation that dire? Or are they banking on Cyberpunk getting delayed once again?
    The only crossover between Cyberpunk and WoW is that they’re both video games with an RPG element. That’s literally it.

5+ Year Old Account
    They don't want a repeat of what just happened this week. Their Q3 earnings report fell short of expectations and their share prices tanked as a result. Glad I sold my shares ages ago, won't be touching ATVI for awhile.
    Kupo.

It had a release date by end of Dec. It would be hard to support the release over the holidays, so further back is out. Seems perfectly logical time for SL.

I don't know or care about classic because I don't want to tarnish my original 15 year old memories.

Quote Originally Posted by SNES-1990 View Post
    They don't want a repeat of what just happened this week. Their Q3 earnings report fell short of expectations and their share prices tanked as a result. Glad I sold my shares ages ago, won't be touching ATVI for awhile.
    Pretty dumb thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    They’re aware that the USA will likely be in an all out civil war by January, so they wanna give us some nice goodies to enjoy before we get yeeted by pink haired zoomers
    I'm a moderate and no matter who wins, it will be chaos. Hell is moderate even a term for I hate democrats and republicans?

Maybe the asteroid will hit on election day.

On topic, most of them are probably working from home. Gaming for the most part can be done from home with adjustment. Of course Shelly(fake name) doesn't have what she needs at home, but they can adjust like many have during this event. They don't adjust for any other religious holiday so why Christmas? And I'm the epitome of telling people stop being anti christian but my god it's ok to have gaming things going on in the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SNES-1990 View Post
    I'm semi glad my bank I bought shares through forced me to sell them because I didn't have the new minimum they set for brokerage accounts. I bought the shares at like 15-20 per and sold them forcibly for 60 or 70 each. Not bad and hasn't gone up too much.

you're right releasing it after the holiday season when people have less cash they are willing to part with will certainly result in more sales.
    Cyberpunk and wow have very minimal overlap besides being video games int he rpg genre. The release schedules between classic and retail dont really matter, both generate subs.
    Maybe they feel the extra month they gave themselves was more than satisfactory to put out the expac. There will still be problems, some people will whine about systems, some systems will legit need to be changed but thats EVERY expac. I'd way rather have the release this year cause I'm bored AF with BFA.

Nov 23 - Shadowlands
    Dec 3 - Naxx

I'm guessing nothing will make you happy. First it's horrible they delayed and now it's horrible they are pushing out new content...

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowlands they basically admitted they felt that getting the raid out this year was too important, they weren't going to delay it a month out from launch. I disagree, but it's at least a valid argument.

I'm more curious why the heck the Naxx date. It's not in line with the usual WoW Classic cadence. We probably weren't expecting Naxx until January/February. Only thing I can think of is they have a date already for BC Classic and want to stick to it, or they have numbers showing the dropoff in Classic is starting to become steep.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

But companies work with fiscal years, which end in... was ir march? Not to mention that the majority tries to release their stuff around the same time aswell and there is no real "overlap" with a singleplayer RPG that is Cyberpunk , as people can put it aside for leveling and raiding and continue afterwards

10+ Year Old Account
    Nov 23 - Shadowlands
    Dec 3 - Naxx

Folks flip their shit if Blizzard isn't putting things out,
    Folks flip their shit when Blizzard does put things out,

Sometimes they are even the same folks...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

"rushing" They legit delayed Shadowlands by a fucking month. Also, Naxx testing's been going on for quite a bit. Stop. lol

My only concern is the simultaneous release of Naxxramas and Shadowlands, where a large pool of players had interest in both.

But hey, lots to play this December (Naxx, Shadowlands, Cyberpunk 2077, PS5, etc), so i can't complain .

Q4 2020 = October -> December 2020.

So what is this content they are rushing out by a month ago ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Folks flip their shit if Blizzard isn't putting things out,
    Folks flip their shit when Blizzard does put things out,

Sometimes they are even the same folks...
    Blizzard could make a video that says "Hello, how are you?" and people would flip their shit.

And like you said a lot of times it is the usual crowd. Sometimes same people flipping their shit when Blizzard Does A and they want B. Then when B happens they flip their shit because they "always" didn't want B either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Pretty dumb thing to do.

well he DID say he sold his shares years ago, implying at least 2. looking at the graph you provided, it's likely he missed out on some growth, but otherwise sold at the right time. heck, selling in 2018 and rebuying in mid 2019 would've been the best move he could make. so if anything, you're pretty dumb for not being able to read financial reports and making blanket, idiotic statements.

edit:

here is an edited image that shows where the stock currently sits and a black line showing the cut off for profits and losses over the time period. maybe you'll see what i mean if i make it obvious for you. heck, the line is even a little below the mid point of the ending dot so i gave you a handicap as well.
    Last edited by aceperson; 2020-10-31 at 05:08 AM.

Why are you all bothering to reply to a bait post? The only actual facts in the troll post are the dates. Dude can't even help but bring up cyberpunk... again, even though it has nearly nothing to do with Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    well he DID say he sold his shares years ago, implying at least 2. looking at the graph you provided, it's likely he missed out on some growth, but otherwise sold at the right time. heck, selling in 2018 and rebuying in mid 2019 would've been the best move he could make. so if anything, you're pretty dumb for not being able to read financial reports and making blanket, idiotic statements.
    Ah yes, because any take that isn't "Blizzard sucks, Activision sucks, everything they do sucks and you suck if you support them" is idiotic.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's only one thing left to do - kill ourselves.