Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well, just like the 3080, the 3070 sold out instantly. The only card I managed to add to my cart was the FE, but Best Buy crashed in checkout and I lost it. Thought retailers said were going to do something to prevent scalpers?

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Keep in mind that until real world, independent benchmarks come out, it is nothing more than corporate PR.

What is being left out of the discussions is that the main speed boost requires: 1) RX 6000 GPU, 2) Ryzen 5000 series CPU, 3) 500-series motherboard, and 4) software that supports it. That's right, for the Smart Memory Access to work, developers will have to support it. Which means if you build this in the next few months, you won't see any of that massive speed benefit at all. And, without reliable independent benchmarks, you might be putting together something rather slow, even considering the cost.
    So you're saying in order to get the benefit of the RX 6000 series you need to have one? There's no corporate PR with the benchmarks - they are accurate, sometimes the games are cherry picked to favor the company, but AMD has no problems to show games where they are losing. And the 6800XT benchmarks were shown without the rage mode overclocking (1-2% gain with 1 click overclock for all systems) and without the smart memory access (where you need the new 5000 series CPU and 500 series motherboard). The 6900XT benchmarks were shown with both of these features enabled. So even without the smart memory access 6800XT seems like a very good card. Also, from what I understand, the smart memory access performance increase isn't supported by game developers at all for now, and all the performance gains that were shown were just a native feature of the system, and with developer support it will be even better, but maybe I didn't understand it correctly. Anyway, I will be buying a new PC - I don't build by myself, so I got the new CPU/motherboard part covered. And rather slow it won't be, considering I have a 1070 and 6700k now. But obviously I'll wait for benchmarks and I won't buy the reference GPU, I'll get a Gigabyte one probably. Also I was looking to get a 1440p 1ms 34' ultrawide monitor, like the AOC or the Xiaomi one, they are not available where I live and with an online order I'd pay a huge amount of tax, but I just saw that Gigabyte have the same monitor now, and I can get it in my country for cheap, good times!

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally, I go can AMD again for a new GPU after 5 years.

I'll be replacing my 1080ti with a 6800XT.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi Senshi View Post

That was my thinking earlier, but I think I'll have to wait for independent reviews. The one thing I noticed about AMD's announcement is that they didn't specify their GPU's performance with raytracing enabled. A big selling point with Nvidia is their performance with DLSS and raytracing enabled. Sure, with raytracing off, the 6800 xt and 3080 perform similarly at 1440p and 4k, but would that still be the same case if raytracing were enabled?

I'm still considering both, but if the independent reviews end up exposing AMD's performance with raytracing and it's not pretty, I might just wait until I can get my hands on a 3080.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, and that is a fair and responsible way to act as a consumer before committing to such a purchase.

I am pretty gung-ho though and only care about the rasterization performance upgrade for 1440/144hz to which the 6800Xt should deliver quite nicely.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi Senshi View Post

Nice. I'm getting the same AMD card, upgrading from a GTX1080. Though I don't expect a big boost in fps performance since the single thread speed of the CPU is the more defining factor. Im looking at the 5800x to replace the non-overclocked 8700K which is still a decent CPU. The Smart Access Memory feature gave the final nudge to change to the AMD eco system.

PS for everyone considering a new build with one of the new Ryzen CPU's, 4000Mhz Memory seems to be the new sweetspot.

My biggest discrepancy with AMD has been their awful driver support/stability compared to nVidia. I'd really like to snag a 6800XT for my next build but, I don't know if I care to deal with that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tim- View Post
    My biggest discrepancy with AMD has been their awful driver support/stability compared to nVidia. I'd really like to snag a 6800XT for my next build but, I don't know if I care to deal with that nonsense.
    So wait for reviews and benchmarks. It will be very easy to see if drivers are garbage or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    So wait for reviews and benchmarks. It will be very easy to see if drivers are garbage or not.
    But what if we get a 5700xt thing again, where the drivers are.. Fine.. For launch, and the a month or two down the line they fuck something up?

Drivers aren't just a one-and-done thing like the rest of the card, they need to be continually improved

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But what if we get a 5700xt thing again, where the drivers are.. Fine.. For launch, and the a month or two down the line they fuck something up?

Drivers aren't just a one-and-done thing like the rest of the card, they need to be continually improved
    The 5700 XT had hardware level issues they had to work through. The drivers themselves were ok within a month or so. If you're really afraid wait longer, its not like anyone is going to be able to buy any Nvidia cards until February.

but why ?

no game ask for 16gb actually, 8 gb is just fine and even 3070, 3080 is too much for actual game and even games to come for the next 2-3 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    The 5700 XT had hardware level issues they had to work through. The drivers themselves were ok within a month or so. If you're really afraid wait longer, its not like anyone is going to be able to buy any Nvidia cards until February.
    They're coming back in stock around here this month or early next month. Which, granted, is way late, but still.

And even if they weren't, well.. I still don't trust AMD's drivers enough, and need CUDA too much personally to get an AMD GPU

In 2 pages, i read so many assumptions and fanboyism it is crazy, but since it is atm again NV vs AMD, heres my thoughts.

Does AMD outperform nvidia's cards atm? Yes they do, some with rage mode or Smart Memory Acces on and some off ( see slides ).

Will the numbers AMD shown be different from Youtubers? Yes, but most likely not much, why? Because in this day and age, you cannot hide behind it anymore like you used to, social media ftw.

Will AMD have less Ray tracing performance? We dont know yet but I am sure it will have less, does it matter to me? No it does not, Ray tracing is only just begon, and for the record, Nvidia didnt magically create it, Ray Tracing has been in this world since the very early Animated movies, it is just that GPU's became more powerful that it now can use it too, limited though. But also keep in mind, Consoles, are full AMD, with raytracing, and the gains there from what the developers learn with those RDNA2 gpu's will go over to the PC versions.

NVidia has DLSS 2.0, why go AMD? AMD will have a version of it too, just a matter of time, and why would it matter so much now? DLSS is mostly so that raytracing is bearable, that is the only reason why it came to life. And the games that support it now is still very limited, and it will only be for the tripple A titles, which in turn will also support the version AMD Is gonna use, its just basic logic.

Nvidia's drivers are better then AMD! Uhm if you look in EVERY driver release, you will see plenty of issues with NVidia's drivers just as much as AMD's, if you think otherwise? Google, and stop being ignorant. That said, the last Drivers of AMD was not good, but that was months ago, and they have fixed almost if not all issues from it. That shows dedication and as Lisa Su said, the team will become bigger for the upcoming 6000 series to offer even better support. And when it comes to shove, AMD's drivers and software package is a lot more up to date then Nvidias, that still looks like it is made in the early 2000.

Price/Performance will always win, as will availability, the paper launch of Nvidia tells me they wanted to come out first without being ready for it, because they knew what was coming. I am sure though the 6000 series will be sold out instantly too. But, will that be because they shipped only 30 to one major store in the US or 300 and still sold out, that will mean a lot more to me personally.

What will I do ? Well, I am having a Gsync monitor, that means my option is mostly towards Nvidia. However, Gsync vs Freesync difference is marginal at best, i saw someone wrote that Gsync is FARRR better, again living in the past, things improve over time and isn't the same when it first released.
    I also have a 570x, 3900x, I want to sell my 3900x and go for a 5800x or 5900x(gotta love it beating Intel on ST now too, and when rocket lake comes, AM5 comes to beat that butt too), always been my plan, but then with the new tech AMD showed, that gave a small boost pairing a 5xxx with a 6xxx you start to think. And I am sure that boost with pairing could become bigger over time with fine tuning.

Fun times for PC enthousiasts, bad time for fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Nvidia's drivers are better then AMD! Uhm if you look in EVERY driver release, you will see plenty of issues with NVidia's drivers just as much as AMD's, if you think otherwise? Google, and stop being ignorant. That said, the last Drivers of AMD was not good, but that was months ago, and they have fixed almost if not all issues from it. That shows dedication and as Lisa Su said, the team will become bigger for the upcoming 6000 series to offer even better support. And when it comes to shove, AMD's drivers and software package is a lot more up to date then Nvidias, that still looks like it is made in the early 2000.

Price/Performance will always win, as will availability, the paper launch of Nvidia tells me they wanted to come out first without being ready for it, because they knew what was coming. I am sure though the 6000 series will be sold out instantly too. But, will that be because they shipped only 30 to one major store in the US or 300 and still sold out, that will mean a lot more to me personally.
    In RTX 2000 vs RX 5000 Nvidia still crushed AMD even though AMD had more performance per dollar. Why? Drivers.

Availability is going to be bad for both, and it's not their fault.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Is Freesync just as good as Gsync, and supported by Gsync monitors?
    My ASUS PG279q was bought specifically with Gsync in mind.

That is my only concern going from Nvidia cards to AMD, apart from possible Driver issues this early on.
    going from a Gsync Predator Z35 to a Samsung lc49hg90 with freesync, i dont see any difference outside of screensize, no tearing no ghosting, it works fine.
    I think freesync supports both Nvidia aswell as AMD, whilest Gsync is a Nvidia only thing.

Onto the GPU topic, the paper launch of the RTX30** series left a bad taste, combine this with their super debacle the previous gen,
    the fact they left their AIB partners under NDA, so they could double their own exposure on their FE cards over the backs of their AIB's is dirty. Also their disgusting price hike the previous generation due to Crypto bollocks over the back of gamers they claim to hold in such high regard.
    first time in a decade i am seriously considering going for an AMD card, price vs performance is just THAT much better.
    Last edited by Reinaerd; 2020-11-01 at 09:51 AM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    but why ?

no game ask for 16gb actually, 8 gb is just fine and even 3070, 3080 is too much for actual game and even games to come for the next 2-3 years
    No it's not. There are still games where even the 3080 can't get 144FPS yet in 1440p and with RT on it tanks the FPS even more. So for 1440p@144FPS the 3080 is not even there yet in some games and i don't think it will be able to do 1440p@144FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 at highest settings
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    In RTX 2000 vs RX 5000 Nvidia still crushed AMD even though AMD had more performance per dollar. Why? Drivers.

Availability is going to be bad for both, and it's not their fault.
    Mate, that driver issue was at the start, things have changed.. if you retest everything now, things will be a lot closer and AMD will be even better price per dollar/performance, as most likely will be the 6000 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Hmm. Do you mean crushed by selling more. Then yeah Nvidia is gonna crush the 6000 series too. Nvidia has always sold more than AMD or even ATI. No matter how fast or slow their cards were comparing to the competition. People just won't entertain the fact that they have competition or the competition is in any way viable.

In a perfect world we'd have no fanboyism, but it's not gonna happen, so even if AMD is somehow sandbagging their performance atm, Nvidia will still likely sell more.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    going from a Gsync Predator Z35 to a Samsung lc49hg90 with freesync, i dont see any difference outside of screensize, no tearing no ghosting, it works fine.
    I think freesync supports both Nvidia aswell as AMD, whilest Gsync is a Nvidia only thing.

Onto the GPU topic, the paper launch of the RTX30** series left a bad taste, combine this with their super debacle the previous gen,
    the fact they left their AIB partners under NDA, so they could double their own exposure on their FE cards over the backs of their AIB's is dirty. Also their disgusting price hike the previous generation due to Crypto bollocks over the back of gamers they claim to hold in such high regard.
    first time in a decade i am seriously considering going for an AMD card, price vs performance is just THAT much better.
    Nope. FreeSync is AMD only and Gsync is Nvidia only. But today you can get almost all Freesync screens to also be Gsync compatible. Before you had to have a screen with the Gsync modul, to be able to run Gsync. Today you can run Gsync via software, so it works on almost all screens.

Gsync with a Gsync modul still works better, but you also pay a premium price for it.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

At the end of the day, the 3090 is still the fastest card there is right now. No one is beaten.
    But we all can agree AMD's deal is pretty good.