Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadowlands Preview: Forge Your Own Legendary Items

Shadowlands Preview: Forge Your Own Legendary Items
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    In the Shadowlands, you’ll need every advantage afforded to restore balance to the afterlives. Locked within the Tower of the Damned, you’ll discover the Runecarver—a powerful entity chained within Torghast’s unhallowed halls. Together, you’ll forge legendary items infused with otherworldly powers that will give you a fighting chance against the Jailer and his minions.

Forge Instruments of Death

Once you reach level 60 and pledge yourself to a Covenant, you’ll receive a quest, “Prison of the Forgotten,” and begin a chain of events that leads you inside Torghast to help the Runecarver restore his forgotten memories. Once unlocked, the Runecarver will help you forge potent legendary items that you’ll be able to infuse with otherworldly powers. To create and customize these legendary items, you’ll need to scour the Shadowlands for a range of components.

Resources Required

Legendary gear pieces are comprised of several components: a Shadowlands crafted legendary base item, two Missives, Soul Ash, and a Memory of the Runecarver. Your base item and Missives can be created with Professions, Soul Ash comes from clearing layers within Torghast; and Memory of the Runecarver recipes can be unlocked through a variety of content in Shadowlands.

Customize your legendary gear with a variety of powers drawn from the realms of Death.

For a legendary piece, you’ll need to start off with a specific base piece of armor or jewelry that can be empowered by the Runecarver. Characters with Tailoring, Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, or Jewelcrafting professions will be granted the recipe to create base pieces as part of the storyline with the Runecarver. These pieces can be crafted by players and can be traded or can be purchased from the Auction House. Each time a crafter creates a base piece, they will earn experience and over time they will be able to create those base pieces with higher item levels. There are four levels each recipe can reach, and creating higher level base pieces will require more resources to complete.

You’ll also need two Missives, which are used to empower the piece with two different secondary stats of your choosing. These Missives can be made by players with the Inscription profession and can be traded or sold on the Auction House.

Vanquishing Torghast's unhallowed halls will reward you with Soul Ash—a crafting material that tempers the base item into a masterpiece worthy of its legendary-quality rating. You can earn Soul Ash weekly by clearing layers within Torghast. Each week two wings are available to enter, so make sure to complete these trials—for the rewards are splendid!

Imbue your legendary with the powers of Death by collecting Memories of the Runecarver, known as Powers. These memories are obtainable by doing a variety of content, including raiding, Mythic Keystone dungeons, and player vs. player activities. You can view all Powers along with how to obtain them and which base items you can Runecarve them on by opening up your Adventure Guide (hotkey: Shift-J).

Echo of Eonar is a legendary Power that unleashes a spiritual familiar to your and three of your allies' sides, increasing their damage, healing, or reducing damage taken for a short duration.

Over time you may craft more than one legendary but, just as in past expansions, a character can only equip one of these items at a time so choose wisely!

Legendary items abilities and crafting requirements are still in development, so be sure to check back for periodic updates on worldofwarcraft.com as we approach the release of Shadowlands.

Anybody with Beta knowledge, do you think Missives will be a decent source of income for Inscription? Or will it sell a bit above (or slightly below) mats cost?

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post
    Anybody with Beta knowledge, do you think Missives will be a decent source of income for Inscription? Or will it sell a bit above (or slightly below) mats cost?
    They go into a lot of things, so i think demand will be kind of high honestly.

Equip still limited to ONE at a time, so near to totally useless feature for me (unless the object has slots a la necklace in BfA).

I have two questions.
    Will legendary items themself be soulbound? I guess yes so I still have to run torghast every week to get ash?

Will there be Tier sets that take important slots like, chest, helm etc. So would it be better to craft ring legendaries to not conflict with tier sets?

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Equip still limited to ONE at a time, so near to totally useless feature for me (unless the object has slots a la necklace in BfA).
    You can still have more than one on your character and as with legion it will likely be increased to 2 as the expansion goes on, hell maybe even 3 towards the end of SL.

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeEU View Post
    I have two questions.
    Will legendary items themself be soulbound? I guess yes so I still have to run torghast every week to get ash?
    Yes. You also upgrade them lots of times so you ALWAYS need soul ash. Every week. On every character. Forever.

Fun.

Will there be Tier sets that take important slots like, chest, helm etc. So would it be better to craft ring legendaries to not conflict with tier sets?
    We don't know yet. Probably not going to be a big concern, as tier sets - if they return - will be likely to have more items than needed for the full bonus (as they have in the past) so you have flexibility with slots.

Now I want tier sets.

I loved Legiondaries, also, so I might have an unpopular opinion, haha.

I'm actually not pro-legendary or pro-tier-set as much as I'm pro intermediate-term and pro long-term goal. Having something to build towards that is actually part of the game, and not just my perceived power level or average gear budget, makes me want to play the game a lot more.

Probably yes in the future - but there is always some flexibility there as you just need to equip 4 items to get the bonus and there are usually 5 or 6 tier pieces.
    Ideally you would choose the slot with a higher stat allocation to craft a legendary for as they can be upgraded to a ilvl higher than anything you can get from even the last 2 bosses of mythic castle nathria and you benefit more from the higher ilvl if its a piece that has higher stat allocation.

they should just embrace legendaries and have it be the new epics, and instead the old "legendary" should be a new tier,

10+ Year Old Account
    Question, is Soul Ash Soul Bind, or is tradeable?

Er, possibly dumb question here, but doesn't this massively inflate the importance of those 4 professions as compared to others? Will other professions be able to craft "must have" items to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Er, possibly dumb question here, but doesn't this massively inflate the importance of those 4 professions as compared to others? Will other professions be able to craft "must have" items to compensate?
    They've increased the amounts of enchants and consumables so Enchanting and Alchemy are still very important.

Engineering still has a bres... so I guess there is that, but engi has always been the red headed stepchild in a way.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have two questions.

We know they plan to bring class sets back but no word on if they'll have set bonuses.

They only have one "locked" slot currently, for Legendaries, so there's room to fool around with some set bonuses this time.

More systems layered on top of systems that is just borrowed power which will be rendered useless in two years. I personally don't enjoy this so will probably just avoid it. Hopefully it isn't too painful for raiders, since it seems it will be almost required to put out high end numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by paxen View Post

There's an NPC in beta that sells the missives for just 1 gold each. so don't know how much they'll cost in retail. It's a white quality item , I don't think it will cost much money.

Forge your own legendaries! If you're lucky, they won't be disabled completely a couple years from now!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So players will get their nuts in a twist over sourcing these recipes and mats? Seems like the Legion shitshow all over again but with extra steps.

I've crafted legendaries on beta - the amount of materials required is huge (and the vendor material costs very large). You also have to craft multiple (as in many many) base pieces of armor to unlock high ilvl legendaries - which is an enormous cost due to the vendor costs. Things on beta change a lot so everything is subject to change and legendary crafting has not had a lot of critical eyes pass over it.

The components (base armor) etc. except for soul ash are all bind on equip.

You can get soul ash from torghast (there is a weekly limit) and from mission table rewards (not sure how often these happen but their reward is only small compared to the amount got from torghast)

In terms of questions above (some of which may have been answered but havent seen)

1, Missives a decent source of income? - early on probably - but their crafting depends on a rare herb - thats where the profit will probably be from.
    2. Legendary items soulbound? Once you craft them yes.
    3. Slots and legendary items? There are a number of different 'memories of the runecrafter' items. These are the different legendary effects. They can be got from reputation, final dungeon bosses, the first raid and torghast - specific memories drop from a set place (different from legion). Each memory has a number of restricted slots it can be used on - usually including one of shoulder, legs, head or chest - but not always. These effects do not have an ilvl - its the base item that sets the ilvl (together with increased soul ash etc,). The effects (memories) are not hard to get based on my beta experience - not sure about the raid drop ones though. This is quite different from legion - you can target the effect you want.
    4. There is not a problem sourcing recipes for the base items. If you are an armor (or jewel) crafter when you go to the runeforger at lvl 60 and provided you have maxed your profession the runecrafter gives you an item to take back to your profession trainer which gives you all the recipes for that armor profession.
    Last edited by irdsyd; 2020-11-04 at 09:29 PM.