Thread: Ex-smokers

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ex-smokers

The question is, how did you managed to stop smoking?

Currently trying to reduce the amount of cigarretes per day, by having times where i can smoke, one cigarrete per hour, doing this for a couple hours so far and it isn't to difficult. The idea is to completly stop somoking in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post

Currently trying to reduce the amount of cigarretes per day, by having times where i can smoke, one cigarrete per hour, doing this for a couple hours so far and it isn't to difficult. The idea is to completly stop somoking in a couple of months.
    I stopped buying them. I never went inside gas stations, always paid at the pump. It's where I always bought them. Then I let my guilt about bumming them when I drank push me from only smoking when I drank to completely quitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I think your best bet is to go cold turkey, and convince yourself that cigarettes are absolutely vile and disgusting (which shouldn’t be too difficult to do).

Well I smoke weed but it does not seem to have the lasting negative effects that cigs or cigars have. I still smoke occasional cigars and weed every day, not sure if I will ever stop weed but definitely I have cut cigars out almost completely other than one here and there, I have stayed away from cigs because they are too smooth and I know I would never stop.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I started on the patch a few days ago and it has helped me drastically reduce the amount that I smoke. I've also tried eliminating triggers, like not smoking while I drive.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/champix-varenicline/

Theres 2 parts to smoking. The nicotene and the habit. The link above helps a lot if you have cravings. I suppose the habit breaking is about removing triggers or finding something else to do (even if its fiddling with a pen for example)

I found champix useful, its free in the UK but may cost in other places. Be warned, it can have serious side effects but I had zero.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenswood View Post
    I think your best bet is to go cold turkey, and convince yourself that cigarettes are absolutely vile and disgusting (which shouldn’t be too difficult to do).
    Plus a huge waste of money depending where you live, a pack of smokes here is around 15-20 bucks
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/champix-varenicline/

Theres 2 parts to smoking. The nicotene and the habit. The link above helps a lot if you have cravings. I suppose the habit breaking is about removing triggers or finding something else to do (even if its fiddling with a pen for example)

I found champix useful, its free in the UK but may cost in other places. Be warned, it can have serious side effects but I had zero.
    Unfortunately Chantax can't be used by people who are on anti-depressants, so that ruled it out for me.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Given that I've picked it back up again after many years I might not be the best person to ask but...

I stopped. I basically scared myself into stopping (was having some random chest pains) and forced myself to just stop altogether. It was miserable and awful for weeks before getting easier, but it took me over a few months for the cravings to really subside.

Everyone is different though, so you may have to explore options - cold turkey, reducing, setting limits (like you're kinda doing now), nicotine patch/gum, other medication etc. If you're serious about it, keep trying different approaches until you find one that works for you.

Good luck, dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    drank coffee instead

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds edgy, but cold turkey for me.

Was usually just socially smoking with friends but it got to the point that one day I lit up a Camel Wide and after the first pull I felt physically ill. Like completely nauseous.

From that moment on I was done smoking. I don't remember any withdrawals to be honest; I had been smoking for about 3 years up to that point. This was about 10 years ago and I've never looked back.

College and laziness mostly. Couldn't really afford to keep it up so I promised myself I would buy a case for Christmas and stop for now but after 2 months of not smoking, I didn't crave it any more so was like eh, I can just buy a new video card instead and did that. In hindsight, quitting cold turkey wasn't really that bad. But then again I knew what to expect as I had times where I couldn't smoke for a few days before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the answers so far.

7+ Year Old Account

Patches, I went one week on the strongest level patches, next week on the level down and the following week on the lowest, and then that was it, I just felt i was through the worst of it, enough that I could go on without them.

I had tried patches before and it didn't work, I think sometimes it just has to click for you as an individual, like you know its the time to do it. been smoke free for almost 5 years. Was a smoker 14 years.

For about a year after quitting, I would still automatically reach for my cigarettes after a meal etc, without thinking, then be disgusted with myself lol.

Now even the smell of someone else smoking near by makes me feel ill.

Good luck!!

The only people I've known that have quit smoking and stayed quit are the ones that did it cold turkey. Everyone else that tried to wean off slowly eventually started finding loopholes that ended up putting them right back where they were.

I got a selfhelp book for my birthday (Allen Carr - The Easy Way to Stop Smoking), read it in a couple days and thought about what it says for a couple months. Then I stopped smoking. Great book, it's been 20 years.

When I quit smoking I had to stop going to break with my friends at work who smoked. I think I was more mentally addicted than physically. I normally smoked a half pack a day unless I was in some kind of social gathering in which I would smoke a lot more. I quit cold turkey.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just stopped. No secret method. Wasn't even hard.
    Here is something to believe in!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cold Turkey. Just told myself I was done and didn't want anymore.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.