15+ Year Old Account

Using Relics of the Past for gear

With the 9.0 release we got these wonderful Relics of the Past 1-5 that allows us to tweak the majority of crafted gear to have different level requirements so alts/new players can use any crafted gear from any expansion regardless of what expansion they are leveling up in. This has got to be one of the best additions to professions WoW has seen in a very long time. That being said, I thought I'd share some information with you guys in case you weren't already aware.

Legacy set bonuses are active on the majority of crafted starting gear sets from previous expansions. Remember that Netherweave set of gear that has a 2 set bonus of +int? The legacy set bonus is NOT inactive on it. Remember that Fel Iron plate set that gae a crit strike and strength set bonus? Its still active. Same goes for the Fel Iron Chain set with the crit strike and vers set bonus. Same goes for the Imperial Plate set from vanilla. Enchanted Adamtite set from BC. Same goes for many many other sets too. Basically anything that was restricted to a class to wear lost their set bonus while the things that allowed any class to wear it kept the set bonus.

The bulk of the rings and necklaces from JC can be crafted for any level using Relics. If you're wanting rings or necklaces with primary stats on them too not just stam with secondary stats, the bulk of the JC crafted rings can be made to fit the levels for the associated Relic. This includes rings & necks that have a primary stat AND a gem slot.

Inscription crafted trinkets with primary stat + secondary stats also can be made with relics. I know not everyone has heirloom trinkets and how some of the heirloom trinkets suck for some classes (looking at agi & strength classes mostly). Using a Relic, you can craft trinkets to your liking and use them instead of heirloom trinkets. Same thing goes for the Philosopher's Stone from vanilla that has stam, primary stat, and vers on it and the Alchemist Stone from BC that has primary stat, stam, and vers but is BOP (can always lear it and use it later).

Using a Relic will set the item level to the exact item level indicated by the Relic you use no matter what. That may sound obvious but prior to 9.0 some crafted items had a chance to proc a higher quality and higher item level than the recipe (mostly the Cata & MOP crafted stuff but BFA & Legion allowed the greens to proc a blue but now the Legion stuff starts at blues and from what I can tell of mass producing BFA greens to scrap for explusions it no longer will proc a blue). This means that regardless of what expansion you crafting from, the stats on that piece vs a piece of the same slot from another expansion will have all the same stats if you use the same Relic of the Past (assuming its not a piece that has a set stat list on it instead of a random modifier). So my suggestion is don't waste mats or time farming for older materials if you can just use what you've got on hand to craft something similar since it won't matter the item level or random modifier stats if you make those Uncanny Combatant's Plate Boots, Monel-Hardened Boots, Leystone Boots, or Truesteel boots. They all will have the same amount of stam, strength and added numbers for secondary stats on them

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    can be crafted for any level using Relics.
    So here is the thing: relics of the past can only be used with crafted gear from the past (not Shadowlands) and have an upper cap of required level 47 and ilvl 54.

So yeah, you can make probably make some nice stuff for leveling chars (or exp stop) but "any level" is not true.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    So here is the thing: relics of the past can only be used with crafted gear from the past (not Shadowlands) and have an upper cap of required level 47 and ilvl 54.

So yeah, you can make probably make some nice stuff for leveling chars (or exp stop) but "any level" is not true.
    I was referring to the current game not Shadowlands

It was a neat idea, then they added an unnecessary skill lvl limit and gold cost and there's no level 50 one.
    I'm a thread killer.