ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) & Ryzen 5000 & 3600MHz RAM

Hey all,

quick question about compatibility of motherboard & RAM & CPU. Will the following components work well together?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($369.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1098.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-05 14:18 EST-0500

There is also this warning:

"Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

Is it possible to flash the motherboard with a USB-Stick? This will be my first AMD CPU so I don't have an older CPU I could install to update the bios.

Quote Originally Posted by Todesbote View Post
    Hey all,

quick question about compatibility of motherboard & RAM & CPU. Will the following components work well together?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($549.00 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($369.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1098.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-05 14:18 EST-0500

There is also this warning:

"Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

Is it possible to flash the motherboard with a USB-Stick? This will be my first AMD CPU so I don't have an older CPU I could install to update the bios.
    That board doesnt have BIOS flashback functionality so you will need an older CPU that is supported out of the box. You have couple of options here:

- Write to AMD and request a boot kit. They will send you an older CPU to use.
    - Get an older AM4 CPU or flash your BIOS in the store. That obviously requires that you go there. Usually any store will either loan you a CPU or flash your BIOS for a small fee.
    - Buy an older AM4 CPU.

Goodluck. No clue why would you need 64 gigs of RAM though
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

That memory set is indeed decent for Zen 2 and 3(as zen 3 has the same memory controller). It's not the best in the world, but will get you to 3600 most likely with XMP or minimal tinkering with the DRAM calculator.

And yes you need an older CPU to update the BIOS as mentioned above. I'd just rather try to get a MB with a flashback utility(if you didn't order already).

I was looking at this setup this morning, actually. I'd like to confirm, there are no new motherboards releasing with 5000, and one will either need to buy a mobo with flashback or flash the bios with an older cpu, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I was looking at this setup this morning, actually. I'd like to confirm, there are no new motherboards releasing with 5000, and one will either need to buy a mobo with flashback or flash the bios with an older cpu, correct?
    There are new versions of both B450, B550 and X570 boards coming out. I know Gigabyte and ASUS are releasing some. Those will have native Ryzen 5000 support. It's unlikely that they're going to be in stock immediately though. Other than that BIOS flashback is your best bet. Most of Gigabyte B550 lineup has that functionality for example.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    There are new versions of both B450, B550 and X570 boards coming out. I know Gigabyte and ASUS are releasing some. Those will have native Ryzen 5000 support. It's unlikely that they're going to be in stock immediately though. Other than that BIOS flashback is your best bet. Most of Gigabyte B550 lineup has that functionality for example.
    Cool, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Cool, thanks!
    Btw, to avoid confusion: the B550 version of that board has a flashback button, the X570 version does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    That board doesnt have BIOS flashback functionality so you will need an older CPU that is supported out of the box. You have couple of options here:

- Write to AMD and request a boot kit. They will send you an older CPU to use.
    - Get an older AM4 CPU or flash your BIOS in the store. That obviously requires that you go there. Usually any store will either loan you a CPU or flash your BIOS for a small fee.
    - Buy an older AM4 CPU.

Goodluck. No clue why would you need 64 gigs of RAM though
    Thanks man.

I switched the board to Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro which should have BIOS flashback.

Yes I agree the RAM is overkill and unnecessary and makes no sense but I wanted to get 64GB. I know it's silly.