Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

So... has Deathlord been written out of the story completely?

I've just stumbled upon some new dialogue between Koltira and Thassarian posted on Wowhead. They seem to be serving Bolvar now and act like Deathlord never existed. Here are the lines I find worrying:

Thassarian: The Helm of Domination has been shattered. A strange thought. For so long it has been a symbol of our curse and our duty.
    Koltira: And now we wield our blades on behalf of the one who wore it.
    Thassarian: Bolvar Fordragon is no longer the Lich King. If we are to take orders from anyone, I could think of far worse leaders to issue them.
    Koltira: Like Genn Greymane, for instance?
    Thassarian: Or Sylvanas Windrunner.
    Koltira: Point taken.

Can anyone who has beta access please confirm or refute that Deathlord is no longer a thing?

It was from a past expansion, so, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the 'we' refers to the whole Ebon Blade, Deathlord included. The Deathlord was working for the Lich King in Legion, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Inoculate View Post
    It was from a past expansion, so, yes.
    Sad but true, lol

While I haven't checked in on the Beta, the Knights of the Ebon Blade kind of always followed Bolvar, the Deathlord was mainly in charge while Bolvar was a frozen popsicle
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Can anyone who has beta access please confirm or refute that Deathlord is no longer a thing?
    From what I understand the Death Knight order hall wasn't like some of the others were you were the "leader" but just say the Vice Preisdent. Bolvar always remained the President. Warriors would be the same way since Odin is still the top guy. After the legion threat the orders might have changed structure, leaders, members etc but the player character would always be "Special".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Think of Deathlord like a warchief. He’s part of the Ebon Blade but when shit goes down he gets to make the calls.

My memory may be hazy on this, but I think Knights of the Ebon Blade had a partnership with Bolvar rather than being under his command. They and Bolvar's Scourge were separate entities independent from each other. I remember Bolvar telling Deathlord in one of the Order Hall quests that if Deathlord failed, Bolvar would take control over the Ebon Blade by force.

From a story perspective, our player characters basically abandoned our orders to go join the Alliance/Horde in their war. We turned in our 2 week notice and now someone else has the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Factcheck View Post
    From a story perspective, our player characters basically abandoned our orders to go join the Alliance/Horde in their war. We turned in our 2 week notice and now someone else has the job.
    You know, I could accept that if it was reflected in the game or any other lore source like books, short stories, comics, etc. But it isn't.
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2020-11-06 at 02:04 AM.

Pretty sure your authority as Deathlord came entirely from Bolvar anyway.

So You are still the Dealthlord, its just after you escape the maw you become the "maw walker"

Unfortunately, any position you had as a player didn't really happen. Or we would all be major lore characters.

I mean, just think:
    Death Knights should technically be personally leading the Ebon Blade, as you mentioned.
    Mages become the leading member of the Tirisgarde, an elite mage-guard of Dalaran called upon in the absence of the Guardian.
    Rogues are leaders of an Illuminati club that likes to kill problematic leaders....should have spent BFA trying to assasinate Sylvanas.
    Paladins would essentially be the new Uther, having refounded his paladin Order...would be excessively hostile to Sylvanas use of resurrection.
    Druids...actually aren't leaders, but as one of the archdruids that reports directly to Malfurion....Horde druids just shouldn't exist in BFA.
    Monks are the new grandmaster of the entire fucking dojo that trained them. Would be in Pandaria helping train initiates, definitely not in a dumb war.
    Shaman literally new leader of the neutral Earthen Ring, most likely watching the Maelstrom or caring a whole lot about Magni and nowhere near any faction BS.

The only classes whose participation in the BFA war make any sense are:
    Hunter - became a member of a special hunting lodge, nothing stopping them from going back to faction love.
    Warlock - Leader of the Shadow Council, but otherwise probably doesn't give a shit...good excuse to collect more souls though.
    Demon Hunter - with the Legion gone, gunna need something to occupy their time. And there was already hints of faction division.
    Priest - not too familiar with this one, but it looks like you just worked under Velen for awhile. Also Shadow Priests may have gone a little crazy from hanging out with Xal'atath.
    Warriors - warriors be warriors bro. Odyn thinks you're a cool dude. Go find more glory!

(Edit: Mistakingly called mages the Guardian of Tirisfal instead of the leading member of the Tirisgarde. You use a lot of the Council of Tirisfal's old resources and members, so I got confused.)
    Last edited by Nynax; 2020-11-06 at 10:38 AM.

The writers kind of forgot or didn't bother to write out our characters position from the class order halls. Or we would still be giving orders from all the followers we collected in Legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've just stumbled upon some new dialogue between Koltira and Thassarian posted on Wowhead. They seem to be serving Bolvar now and act like Deathlord never existed. Here are the lines I find worrying:

Thassarian: The Helm of Domination has been shattered. A strange thought. For so long it has been a symbol of our curse and our duty.
    Koltira: And now we wield our blades on behalf of the one who wore it.
    Thassarian: Bolvar Fordragon is no longer the Lich King. If we are to take orders from anyone, I could think of far worse leaders to issue them.
    Koltira: Like Genn Greymane, for instance?
    Thassarian: Or Sylvanas Windrunner.
    Koltira: Point taken.

And the Deathlord directly answered to Bolvar. What is your point?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post
    So You are still the Dealthlord, its just after you escape the maw you become the "maw walker"

Interesting, this makes it even weirder that the existence of the Deathlord is outright ignored in other parts of the story. Thanks for bringing this up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Unfortunately, any position you had as a player didn't really happen. Or we would all be major lore characters.
    But who were the actual Order Hall leaders then? I mean, the story involving the Order Halls still happened so there should've been someone filling those roles. The game still implies that you are the one though since Nathanos refers to you specifically by your title at the beginning of BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    And the Deathlord directly answered to Bolvar. What is your point?
    I already covered this in my other post.

Interesting, this makes it even weirder that the existence of the Deathlord is outright ignored in other parts of the story. Thanks for bringing this up though.
    Not a problem. But yea it is weird the sudden change. I wish they kept at least calling you "Deathlord" (by members of the Ebonblade and/or Bolvar). Just to keep the illusion of the lore continuity.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    But who were the actual Order Hall leaders then? I mean, the story involving the Order Halls still happened so there should've been someone filling those roles. The game still implies that you are the one though since Nathanos refers to you specifically by your title at the beginning of BfA.
    It's incredibly likely that the order hall leaders lorewise are the npc's we saw when cleansing the sword and we just take there places and shunt them into secondary rolls when playing though when playing the corresponding class but the adventures aren't actually the leaders at any point.

so in the dk's case Darion would be the real death lord but of course when your playing a dk you take his place.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how that writes out the Deathlord at all? The Deathlord was a tool of Bolvar, the Deathlord worked with the Ebon Blade since his dark rebirth, and took command in Legion under the sway of Bolvar..once a tool completes its purpose its usually put away right?

You still hold the title and the legacy it holds, but you're no longer in command because you never truly were...I think that follows the Legion Death Knight campaign pretty well actually, because they eluded to the fact a number of times

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It's incredibly likely that the order hall leaders lorewise are the npc's we saw when cleansing the sword and we just take there places and shunt them into secondary rolls when playing though when playing the corresponding class but the adventures aren't actually the leaders at any point.

so in the dk's case Darion would be the real death lord but of course when your playing a dk you take his place.
    It would be nice to have an official confirmation of this, maybe someone could ask the devs on Twitter or something? However, I personally wouldn't be fond of this since it would greatly devalue our contribution to the story. I mean, why engage with the story through our character's eyes if nothing we do is considered canon in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    The Deathlord was a tool of Bolvar
    Not a tool, a partner. I already covered this in my second post in this thread. It is clearly stated at the beginning of the DK campaign. Besides, why would Bolvar threaten the Deathlord to take Acherus for himself if he had already been its rightful owner?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It would be nice to have an official confirmation of this, maybe someone could ask the devs on Twitter or something? However, I personally wouldn't be fond of this since it would greatly devalue our contribution to the story. I mean, why engage with the story through our character's eyes if nothing we do is considered canon in the end?
    well likely have to wait for a chronicles for legion or some other kind of media for confirmation. its been like this since tbc/wrath when they started making comics, for example if you got the ahsbringer in classic and did the scarlet crusade event turns out that was Darion the whole time not the Pc and there are a billion other small examples in the lore.