Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got myself a 5900X. Nice little upgrade from my 8700K.

Yes, especially now that I snagged a 5900x I'm thirsty for that 6800xt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Got myself a 5900X. Nice little upgrade from my 8700K.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Yes, especially now that I snagged a 5900x I'm thirsty for that 6800xt.
    I hear yall. Definitely thinking about building 5900x/6900xt, a big upgrade from my i7 4770k and rx 580 T-T

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I hear yall. Definitely thinking about building 5900x/6900xt, a big upgrade from my i7 4770k and rx 580 T-T
    Yea I'm doing a full overhaul from a 7700K and a 1080 FE.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone mad that I got an RTX 3080 on launch day and I got a 5900X on launch day with no problems at all?
    Should I put on lottery tickets?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Yea I'm doing a full overhaul from a 7700K and a 1080 FE.
    Was running a gtx 1080 myself before I got the RTX 3080. I may post some benchmarks of games later on from the 8700K to the 5900X. Mostly see benchmarks with 3070's or 2080Ti's. Haven't seen ones with a RTX 3080 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    But that means buying an intel CPU for more and an Nvidia GPU for more as well. If price is totally no problem though, yeah for sure.
    And what if someone already has a intel cpu?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    And what if someone already has a intel cpu?
    Then you choose your price to performance and what you're willing to shell out when it comes to GPUs I guess. We'll know for certain which company's GPUs are better in more real world situations as the month(s) goes on.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Sure, it's like 80 dollars more though.
    yeah and one will be sold out and one will be available so... 80 dollars more or twice the price from a reseller is a no brainer

Then you choose your price to performance and what you're willing to shell out when it comes to GPUs I guess. We'll know for certain which company's GPUs are better in more real world situations as the month(s) goes on.
    But WoW favored intel CPUs for quite a long time now, due to their better single core performance. And intel was the better product, maybe now not anymore but 1-3 years ago? No need to be on such a high horse, just because AMD is not selling dumpster CPUs anymore for a year now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    yeah and one will be sold out and one will be available so... 80 dollars more or twice the price from a reseller is a no brainer
    Judging by how AMD's CPUs sold out in minutes.. Neither will be available.

But WoW favored intel CPUs for quite a long time now, due to their better single core performance. And intel was the better product, maybe now not anymore but 1-3 years ago? No need to be on such a high horse, just because AMD is not selling dumpster CPUs anymore for a year now.
    AMD has been selling great multi-core CPUs for years now. And ever since the 2000 series competitive performance to price. And with the 4000 series on par if not a little ahead of what intel has, with sometimes slightly lower performance depending on the game. While still being way better at multi-core performance on top of that. It's not a high horse, intel is just lagging behind on consumer chips and they have to bring up the pace.

We'll see if they do that in the new lineup of CPUs - but I highly doubt it, especially in the multi-core part.

Seems like the initial launch was bad, think here we got like under 50 5950Xs, but apparently in 2 weeks we should be getting hundreds more if the delivery schedule keeps up. And the 5600X is still in supply. 5900X and 5800X is unknown status though.

But more to the point. AMD has warned that there will be a limited amount of 6800XTs at launch. Which would suggest there are much more 6800s. And would think the 6900XT is going to be a unicorn at start. Although with both 6800XT and 6900XT, I'd be more interested about the AIB cards anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding to this MLID is sticking to him claim that there will be over a million Zen 3 CPUs delivered by the end Q1 and speculates that it might happen before the end Q4, but corona might fuck things up.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Adding to this MLID is sticking to him claim that there will be over a million Zen 3 CPUs delivered by the end Q1 and speculates that it might happen before the end Q4, but corona might fuck things up.
    Corona WILL fuck things up. China is rolling restrictions for the countries with high infection rates as we speak.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Corona WILL fuck things up. China is rolling restrictions for the countries with high infection rates as we speak.
    Apparently these chips should already be on route to EU/NA or already here. Distribution is slow due to corona though. Sort of supports the claim of my order likely getting fulfilled this month and am really late in the queue due to bots.

AMD has been selling great multi-core CPUs for years now. And ever since the 2000 series competitive performance to price. And with the 4000 series on par if not a little ahead of what intel has, with sometimes slightly lower performance depending on the game. While still being way better at multi-core performance on top of that. It's not a high horse, intel is just lagging behind on consumer chips and they have to bring up the pace.

We'll see if they do that in the new lineup of CPUs - but I highly doubt it, especially in the multi-core part.
    But tell me, how many consumers need this multithread performance, isn't it far more likely you need single core performance for games?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Aside from a few Chinese companies, are most of the gpus or CPUs for that matter made in china, I'm not talking about chip fab, I'm talking about the finished product?

If its not from china, then that shouldn't impact things.

But tell me, how many consumers need this multithread performance, isn't it far more likely you need single core performance for games?
    It's slowly changing towards you needing both and increasingly multithreading with each new optimization.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriangun View Post
    Aside from a few Chinese companies, are most of the gpus or CPUs for that matter made in china, I'm not talking about chip fab, I'm talking about the finished product?

If its not from china, then that shouldn't impact things.
    Every single GPU that I can think of is made in China. The fabs are in either Taiwan or Korea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's slowly changing towards you needing both and increasingly multithreading with each new optimization.
    VERY slowly. We're not even at the point where 6 cores is optimal for most games yet.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Single core performance is incredibly important for more than just gaming, but yes primarily gaming. However now with the 4000 series you don't even have to compromise. With 2000 and 3000 series you did lose (Less so on the 3k) on single core performance in favor of multi-core. But now it seems AMD caught up to intel, so that's great. At least for now, we'll see with intel's release of CPUs.

Going forward though, games are going to start using more of your cores heavily, not just the first 2-4. It happened when everything started to use 2 cores, then 4, and now we're going into a time where everything has more cores. Especially since the new generation of consoles use 8 core CPUs, don't be surprised if intel starts to lag behind on multi-threaded optimization. This of course will take 2-3 years before it shows up in a few titles (Like RTX did), then 4-5 until more games develop with it, and then probably around 6-8 where most games will start to use it much more. Same thing is going to happen with more advanced raytracing support. That said, it will depend on the game and how it uses the CPU. I highly doubt simpler games or ones that don't have much going on at once will benefit much at all when it comes to higher core-count.

Yes, AMD CPUs benefit casual users quite a lot. In this day and age it's less noticeable because both intel and AMD CPUs are strong as fuck compared to what normal people use (Browsers, Word, Powerpoint, etc.) but it's beneficial no matter what. Especially if you use multiple monitors, want to stream, do editing, etc.. (Hobby users, of course).

TL;DR Intel and AMD are neck and neck for single core performance (For now), AMD vastly outperforms Intel on multicore on most fronts (Which benefits casual, hobbyists, and pros alike). Games will start to use multi-core this console generation (Ergo, PC as well). Pick which-ever you personally like, in the end both are valid choices.

TL;DR Intel and AMD are neck and neck for single core performance (For now), AMD vastly outperforms Intel on multicore on most fronts (Which benefits casual, hobbyists, and pros alike). Games will start to use multi-core this console generation (Ergo, PC as well). Pick which-ever you personally like, in the end both are valid choices.
    I'd put it to AMD is no longer weaker in single core performance and sometimes absolutely smashes Intel in it.