Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    I would then do what obama did not choose to do. Give a time frame I am asking the senate to start a confirmation process for this justice if they choose not do do so in the next 60 days I will take that as they have no objection or opinion and require my justice to be seated. Given the senate is going to be nearly 50/50 if you put up somebody who is not super lefty I am guessing if you get a vote you can pick off at least one or two senators to nominate his choice.
    Obama didn't do that because it's not possible. The Republicans have a great position by holding the Senate and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    <snip>
    It would be a massive change in the way elections are run, and to be honest, I don’t think either party wants to spread themselves over 50 states for a presidential election. Look at how exhausted the candidates are just doing what they did. Turning to popular vote would almost have to go hand in hand with finance reform just so the whole process is affordable.

For the record, I’m ok with going to a popular vote system, but not if it’s just FPTP. A massive overhaul to everything voting-wise in the US is long overdue. I don’t believe the dems have the energy to do it, and the republicans don’t have a need to bother with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Damn... I have not seen the movie and now I don’t have to...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Obama didn't do that because it's not possible. The Republicans have a great position by holding the Senate and they know it.
    You could force them to vote. Obama did not want to go to the wire on it figuring they wouldn't go that far. The constitution just says advise and consent. If the senate chooses to not bother giving advice that is still advice. If the senate does not vote against the nominee then they have consented.

Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1324850848221007872

For people wondering why House Democratic leaders would be launching an attack on the Squad out of the gate, consider the math and the new power balance:

Dems will have a much smaller majority in 2021, maybe 8 or 9 seats. Think about what that means:

Pelosi always loses one or two @JoshGottheimer types on every vote. That means that about seven (!) Dems have veto power over the caucus. And the Squad has been buttressed by @JamaalBowmanNY, @CoriBush, @MondaireJones & @Marie4Congress

That’s 8 right there

And that’s before you get to Progressive Caucus leaders like @RepJayapal, @MarkPocan or @RoKhanna

Dem leaders know progressives have real power in the caucus now, and are trying to shame them into not using it, is my read.
    Hopefully that means progressives actually exercise the new power they have in the House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    that judge order to Texas USPS I quoted five months...I mean, two days ago? The USPS claims it found 815 ballots.
    UPDATE: They found a few more.

"Another few hundred? Maybe a thousand?"

Forty fucking thousand.

The judge ordered them to find the ballots they lost, they found 800, the election is nearly over, suddenly the USPS says "oh you mean THESE missing ballots?"

Apparently there's 1,000 for Philly, 300 Pittsburgh, 500 in NC, again in theory shouldn't change much. But damn, that's at the minimum embarrassing for the USPS and at worst "you're under arrest for election fraud, Mr. DeJoy"

Forty fucking thousand.

The judge ordered them to find the ballots they lost, they found 800, the election is nearly over, suddenly the USPS says "oh you mean THESE missing ballots?"

Apparently there's 1,000 for Philly, 300 Pittsburgh, 500 in NC, again in theory shouldn't change much. But damn, that's at the minimum embarrassing for the USPS and at worst "you're under arrest for election fraud, Mr. DeJoy"
    I hope that judge really smacks dejoy in his smug face and really lowers the boom on him.

Forty fucking thousand.

Expect all the rats to scramble to cover their tracks now that they know the orange oompa loompa isn't going to be able to protect them.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    You could force them to vote. Obama did not want to go to the wire on it figuring they wouldn't go that far. The constitution just says advise and consent. If the senate chooses to not bother giving advice that is still advice. If the senate does not vote against the nominee then they have consented.
    I'm sure the Supreme Court would agree with that interpretation. Oh. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I'm sure the Supreme Court would agree with that interpretation. Oh. :P
    And how would they enforce kicking the justice off? Norms are all fun and games until they no longer exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No - I'm not sure he even hears anything that contradicts his point of view. Ivanka is counting her Renegotiated Prenuptial Agreement money at this point. She is fucking gone after this.
    Uh... UHHHHHH

where all the mad trumpsters at?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    For those old enough to remember, this is an almost repeat of the final days of Nicolae Ceaușescu.
    Only difference was that Ceausescu didn't have the same fanatical support I think. I mean after the revolution he got put against a wall quite quickly. I don't think Trump will suffer the same fate any time soon

Half of them are crawling back into their holes and will pretend they were against Trump this whole time.

The other half is currently stockpiling guns and ammo in anticipation of another civil war.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but this is the first time in history that someone wins both Florida and Ohio but loses the election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but this is the first time in history that someone wins both Florida and Ohio but loses the election.
    Everyone is "right every single time" until the first time they're wrong.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Anyone that wins Florida should lose the election.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    A few thoughts. Vote by mail should seriously be outlawed. We have an Election Day, Allowing people to vote before that day is completely retarded. Split Wisconsin's and Michigan's Electoral Votes between the candidates. When it's as close as it was winner-take-all is completely retarded.
    Even IF we made election day a national holiday I would still disagree with you. The US voter turnout is already completely trash and making it where everyone can only vote within like a 12 hour time frame is completely retarded and would just lower voter turnout. This is especially true for the working class who can't afford to take a day off to go vote.

Forty fucking thousand.

DeJoy should be shackled and given the walk of shame to reporters for the world to see as he is hauled off to jail. Trump and his Trumpster cultist bitching about fake voter fraud as they happily watch real election fraud.