Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    "Do it and you become just like me!" Is the most pathetic bullshit trope that exists.
    Yeah, no. It hapens very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Biden will never be my president. He'd only be president of those who allowed the most corrupt media in history to choose their president.
    Conspiracy theories aren’t allowed here. Why can’t you guys follow the rule of law?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    dont get too excited. electoral college can still change things.
    For the electoral college to “change anything,” the electors the democrats appointed in the states Biden won would have to decide to vote for trump instead. And not like one or two of them; like 30 of them.

I am not remotely worried about that happening. I’m of full confidence that every democrat elector they appointed will happily vote for Biden.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

As much as I hate the EC, it wont. There are now 20 more votes than the 270 needed. In the span of every presidential election, only 24 electors have cast a deviant vote for the other candidate barring the death of their original nominee. Now, I would be right there with you if, say, he was exactly at 270. But they are doing a recount in Georgia and that should go to Biden also. With him being so far ahead, there is no way the EC will change things. If they did this time around, there would be a huge backlash since that would be Well over 30 EC ignoring the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Biden will never be my president. He'd only be president of those who allowed the most corrupt media in history to choose their president.
    its ok, you can move to russia and be with your true president

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    74 million people chose him, not the media.
    Your point is spot on but with only 77% of california and 84% of NY having reported, my guess it'll be closer to 76 maybe 77 million by the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    The most alarming thing is that Trump got so many votes in the first place to challenge Biden, a sad day for the USA for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    So the VP gavels in the session, then cedes the floor to a Senator (typically the majority leader) to run the show.

I'd really like to see Harris just not recognize McConnell when opening the session.
    In practice practice that what happens but the VP isn't not obligated to hand off the gavel and can take it back whenever they want.

The VP sets the agenda, is the decider of points of order, and interprets Senate rules.

The Senate can override the presiding officer through vote, which is where the majority leaders implied power comes from as the acting leader of their party within the Senate. So the presiding officer could set an agenda but the majority leader who gets to sit on committees can kill stuff there OR depending on how strong party lines are can overrule the presiding officer by vote.

Example someone makes a point of order. - the majority leader for instance . The VP can deny that point of order. The majority leader can issue a rebuttal by having their party mates back the majority leader with a simple majority, thus overriding the presiding officer. So you can see how the VP might get tired playing parliamentary procedures and spend them time and effort with the executive branch.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

@Skroe, @GennGreymane, and so many others that are no longer with us.... thank you for your shitposting. I hope that you can see this now, and wherever you are, smile that the orange bastard is out.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The next four years of calling people out on their "Biden Derangement Syndrome" are gonna be fun :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Not at this point it can't. This isn't like 2000 where a few hundred votes in a single state decided things.

Trump would need to find thousands (or tens of thousands) of votes in multiple states.

And his team is so incompetent that they're booking press conferences in junkyard parking lots instead of hotels by mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    As much as I hate the EC, it wont. There are now 20 more votes than the 270 needed. In the span of every presidential election, only 24 electors have cast a deviant vote for the other candidate barring the death of their original nominee. Now, I would be right there with you if, say, he was exactly at 270. But they are doing a recount in Georgia and that should go to Biden also. With him being so far ahead, there is no way the EC will change things. If they did this time around, there would be a huge backlash since that would be Well over 30 EC ignoring the people.
    People also aren’t aware that states don’t just have a pool of electors that they tap every election to hopefully vote for the person that won the state.

Each party appoints their own electors. meaning the EC vote for each state is then cast by members of the party of whichever candidate won.

Which means a large number of democrat-appointed electors would just have to arbitrarily decide to vote for Trump.

Which is not going to happen.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Actually it does. It starts with the guy on top and not with the people.
    I believe you're confusing dictatorship with democracy.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    The most alarming thing is that Trump got so many votes in the first place to challenge Biden, a sad day for the USA for sure.
    a sad day? okay.

While I doubt it happens it would be nice to see Trump have his sylvanas moment where he shits all over the republican party and his supporters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly. The states in red are where faithless electors are illegal and SCOTUS says those states are allowed to punish their faithless voters in accordance to the state's laws.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by passingthrew View Post
    While I doubt it happens it would be nice to see Trump have his sylvanas moment where he shits all over the republican party and his supporters.
    He’s kind of been doing this. He’s been Attacking Fox News for a few weeks now.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    a sad day? okay.
    I get their sentiment. This should have been a much larger blowout to prove America is better than Trump. Instead Trump got a larger number of people to vote for him than he did in 2016 and it took several days for it to be called instead of just several hours.

I'm beyond ecstatic that Biden has won (despite the "legal" fuckery that's going to be happening in the next week or so) and we should be celebrating that, but we shouldn't forget that this election was also proof that there is a LOT of fucking work to do to both clean up his mess and try to ensure it never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I get their sentiment. This should have been a much larger blowout to prove America is better than Trump. Instead Trump got a larger number of people to vote for him than he did in 2016 and it took several days for it to be called instead of just several hours.

I'm beyond ecstatic that Biden has won (despite the "legal" fuckery that's going to be happening in the next week or so) and we should be celebrating that, but we shouldn't forget that this election was also proof that there is a LOT of fucking work to do to both clean up his mess and try to ensure it never happens again.
    I don't get the sentiment at all. 4 years ago, was a sad day. we've had a lot of cleaning up for 200+ years. Today is the opposite of sad day,.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a joyous moment, but I can't help but think of all the suffering and death we had to endure just to get to this point. So I can think of no more appropriate track to celebrate the Orange Man melting into a puddle of rage.

You Can (Not) Be President.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.