Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are so many races native to Azeroth?

And the Army of the Light is just a bunch of draenei? I thought the Burning Legion had conquered thousands of worlds, and all ofr the survivors joined the Army of the Light. What gives?

Simple answer, because the WoW universe revolves around Azeroth.

For the same reason we cleared Argus in a single patch. Blizzard is lazy.

"Why are so many races native to Azeroth?"
    in a game that is mostly hapening on azeroth? why indeed...

3+ Year Old Account
    It's the same answer as to why the Burning Legion has such diversity. They conscript, transform or eradicate all life they come across. The only other non-Azerothian race we know of to resist the Burning Legion besides the Eredar are the Aldrachi and they're extinct. Azeroth is essentially the last hope for life as we know it.

Iirc, There were individuals from other worlds, but they weren’t the focus of the story during the Argus campaign. We will likely see them down the road if we get the speculated light v void expansion

Because of Magic

Technically the only 'natural' race of Azeroth is the Trolls, part of who later evolved into the elves.
    Every other major race is a titan construct that became meaty from the Curse of Flesh.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Technically the only 'natural' race of Azeroth is the Trolls, part of who later evolved into the elves.
    Every other major race is a titan construct that became meaty from the Curse of Flesh.
    Thats not true, there are plenty of native races that live since a long time and arent decendant of trolls.

Taurens, goblins and dragons for example. Though there are plenty more.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2020-11-07 at 09:36 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Titan interference. They introduced so many races of their own creations directly, and many more indirectly. All the elves result from the Well of Eternity, and most of the rest likely go back to Wild Gods, introduced through the Emerald Dream.

Same reason Draenor is so diverse. If it wasn't for a curious Titan, everything would have been plants, much like Azeroth would have been trolls. But thanks to the 'ordering', not only did more creations directly spring up from Titan actions, but those same creatures split and evolved, and even more arose thanks to the vacuum left by the lack of one dominate race.

The Zandalari are the only true Azerothians.

All other sentient species are either mutations from Titan servants (humans, dwarves, gnomes), mutations from other species (trolls, night elves, tauren, quillboar, vulpera, etc, and pretty much every species that looks like it came from a wild animal), or simply aliens (orcs, ogres, draenei).

How is the title of the thread related to your question?...but yeah, Army of Light is Draenei only because Blizzard is lazy, adding more alien races would require actual world building beyond Golden's fanfic capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Thats not true, there are plenty of native races that live since a long time and arent decendant of trolls.

Taurens, goblins and dragons for example. Though there are plenty more.
    Pretty sure Taurens descend from the Yaungol who were created by Niuzao. Goblins were Mimiron experiments and dragons were escaped elementals from the elemental planes. So no they arnt native races.

There is only one race that's native to Azeroth.
    Trolls.
    Elves evolved from Trolls.
    Dwarves, gnomes, Vrykul were Titan creations.
    Most everything else migrated or are corrupted versions of simple life such as the Nerub/Silithid/Qiraj .

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoSul View Post
    Pretty sure Taurens descend from the Yaungol who were created by Niuzao. Goblins were Mimiron experiments and dragons were escaped elementals from the elemental planes. So no they arnt native races.
    The elements are the natives, the Titans later created the planes and imprisoned them all there. Every other race came after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    And the Army of the Light is just a bunch of draenei? I thought the Burning Legion had conquered thousands of worlds, and all ofr the survivors joined the Army of the Light. What gives?
    Lazy writing and retconing, I wished they flesh the Army of the light out but I'm guessing the devs were strapped for time and/or their bosses were breathing down their necks about getting the stuff out. I would've love to see other surviving races from other worlds among the AOTL. As for Azeroth having so many native races you can say that Azeroth is truly a special planet and possibly a anomaly among other worlds....no wonder it's become a focus point for the cosmics forces of their universe. Azeroth and it's beings represents unfathomable potential to the powers that be.

Goblins were gnomes + kaja'mite, Gnomes were a titanforged creation. Definitely not natural.

Dragons we don't quite know the whole story other than they possibly originate from the elemental planes, devolved into proto-drakes when they came to the prime material worlds, Eventually Galakrond happened and the Titans empowered the 5 aspects to help defeat him. Still, not at all natural.

Taurens were present pre-sundering, at least in the novels. The yaungol would the splinter tribe/race. The original Tauren mythology claims that the Earthmother created them from the soil as she was creating the world - But this is only in tauren spiritual texts and would contradict other creation mythos such as the Titans. Hard to say, but they may actually be a natural race of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Yeah thats not true, only Vrykul/Humans, Gnomes, and Dwarves came from Titan constructs, almost everything else evolved somewhat naturally or was a natrual race that later underwent some transformative process (like the Goblins)... I say somewhat because all "natural" mortal life on Azeroth, even the Trolls, evolved because of the Well of Eternity, which was rapidly accelerating the evolution of the surrounding landscapes. Before the Well of Eternity, there was no natural sentient life on Azeroth aside from Elementals.

Pretty sure Taurens descend from the Yaungol who were created by Niuzao.
    That is in universe speculation from Brann Bronzebeard, not confirmed in the slightest.

dragons were escaped elementals from the elemental planes. So no they arnt native races.
    Elementals are the most native to Azeroth one can get, they were on Azeroth before any others, before the Old Gods, before the Titans... If the Proto Dragons decended from them, then they are descended from the eldest of natives.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-11-07 at 11:50 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Well i figure that the army of the light kinda got decimated, or what we encountered was only local forces in a sense, what with draenei being native to Argus / semi-native to Draenor.

Also Azeroth is a focal point in the WoW universe, interplanetary travel is not that easy without the resources of extremely powerful entities (i.e. the void, the light, order, chaos) or Azerothian resources (the well of eternity and its spin-offs, salvaged naaru tech, kajamite, azerite, etc.).

So yeah, short answer: because most races of other worlds are helplessly stuck on their space rocks until one of the great powers finds them, for better or worse.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The Army of the Light is not exclusively draenei. It's possible the Xenedar was simply manned by draenei, but it's more likely that modeling new races is more work than their one patch of relevance would be worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawpurr View Post
    Goblins were gnomes + kaja'mite, Gnomes were a titanforged creation. Definitely not natural.
    Goblins are the result of Mimiron's experimentation on a primitive race found around Ulduar. They're definitely not gnomes.