The idea of a divided government appeals to tech. They get to keep the tax cut and less chance of government antitrust measures.

Apple up 300B over night.

Google up 10% since its insane quarterly report at the end of October.

Facebook up 8% yesterday.

Amazon up.

Microsoft up.

Zoom and Docusign way up.

Uber and Lyft are up to with the passage of Prop 22.

Qualcomm and Nvidia up.

Tesla up.

Note: I should invest in Tesla stock. Not for the EV, but for the battery sector. It has several large battery projects in California and Australia right now.

Seven new unicorns in the Bay Area in October.

All in all if you are heavily invested in tech, you are happy.

How good is tech? Well, unlike other states, CA revenue is based on income tax, corporate tax and sales tax. Right now, despite high unemployment, CA income tax and corporate tax withholdings are crushing it. The two graphs below tell the story about CA income tax withholding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    The idea of a divided government appeals to tech. They get to keep the tax cut and less chance of government antitrust measures.

Apple up 300B over night.

Google up 10% since its insane quarterly report at the end of October.

Facebook up 8% yesterday.

Amazon up.

Microsoft up.

Zoom and Docusign way up.

Uber and Lyft are up to with the passage of Prop 22.

Qualcomm and Nvidia up.

Tesla up.

Note: I should invest in Tesla stock. Not for the EV, but for the battery sector. It has several large battery projects in California and Australia right now.

Seven new unicorns in the Bay Area in October.

All in all if you are heavily invested in tech, you are happy.

How good is tech? Well, unlike other states, CA revenue is based on income tax, corporate tax and sales tax. Right now, despite high unemployment, CA income tax and corporate tax withholdings are crushing it. The two graphs below tell the story about CA income tax withholding.
    i freaking put an order in for a health insurance stock, it did not get executed because i was off by 50 cents.
    20%+ in 3 days....sigh....

at least banks are starting to see a little bump back.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    i freaking put an order in for a health insurance stock, it did not get executed because i was off by 50 cents.
    20%+ in 3 days....sigh....

at least banks are starting to see a little bump back.
    United Health Care? Take a deep breath. Go outside and watch the sky. There is always the next one.

United Health Care? Take a deep breath. Go outside and watch the sky. There is always the next one.
    CI-CIGNA

Damn orange fire in the sky, why the hell would i go outside and risk death from the burning sky.

Basically deadlocked senate, biden president = $$$ for insurance and no public option
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

CI-CIGNA

Damn orange fire in the sky, why the hell would i go outside and risk death from the burning sky.

Basically deadlocked senate, biden president = $$$ for insurance and no public option
    It is actually interesting to see which sectors benefited the most from the Nov 3 election results. Health care because drug companies and health insurers have less to fear. Communication has Alphabet and FaceBook, IT has Microsoft and Apple, and Consumer Discretionary has Amazon. The likelihood of a divided central government enacting anti-trust measures against these companies is pretty much zero for the next two to four years. They got to keep Trump's tax break for the next several years also. The rest of the sectors just plain suck.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Trump presidency has been very good for blue states economy and business development. In 2020, blue states (plus Washington, D.C.) pulled in $70.1 billion in venture capital funding. Red states, meanwhile, drew just $5.68 billion. If we look closer, however, the Democrat-leaning advantage is even more pronounced. That’s because among Republican-leaning states that do receive venture capital, the vast majority goes to Democrat-leaning metropolitan areas.

Take Texas. Voters there have consistently favored Republican presidential candidates for four decades. But Austin, the metro area that commonly brings in a majority of the state’s venture funding, is known for its liberal-leaning politics. North Carolina, a bit of a swing state that tilted Red in 2020, shows a similar pattern. The hub for startup and venture capital activity is the Research Triangle region, which leans left. Utah is more mixed. Provo and Utah counties, both rich in funded startups and tech talent, are both right-leaning. The Salt Lake City metro area, meanwhile, leans slightly left.

You can also look at the S&P 500 company list. In the top 10, there is only one in red state - Walmart. In the top 30, two. Add Exxon. The divide has never been this stark.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-11-06 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the DOW is predicted to do...basically nothing.

Looks like they already factored in "Biden wins" in the strong week we just had.

10+ Year Old Account
    While people watch what happens on wallstreet... who to credit... who to blame... Just enjoy the hopium... savor the moment... then take down the corporate overlords...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    While people watch what happens on wallstreet... who to credit... who to blame... Just enjoy the hopium... savor the moment... then take down the corporate overlords...
    We are far away from being able to even chip away at their power.

The election result was about as pro-corporate power as is possible. And with 70 million people voting to put full power in global corporations, and with McConnell winning his election by such a huge margin, I don't see much chance of this changing for quite a while.

So it's lie low for now, since doing anything else now will mostly backfire, try to prepare a bit for the future, and hope that events make things a little better at a later date.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    There is no bloody vaccine for the next 6 months.
    What you have are trials and even if a vaccine looks "100% promising" that won't be just announced for this year.
    Yes, but, the stock market is a predictive force.

Also, funny story, what if the reason this year doesn't fit the thread's title, is because Biden was elected?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And the DOW is predicted to do...basically nothing.

Looks like they already factored in "Biden wins" in the strong week we just had.
    good thing you don't work as a analyst

i know vaccine...i kid i kid....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

good thing you don't work as a analyst

i know vaccine...i kid i kid....
    I'm with Breccia. I make predictions about the market and it does something that is as close to opposite from what I predict as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I'm with Breccia. I make predictions about the market and it does something that is as close to opposite from what I predict as possible.
    Please I give my brother and his friends stocks to invest in all the time and he performs about 98% better than the stocks I invest in for myself.

its like i am a witch and the power of 3 says i can't benefit myself from my powers or bad things will happen!!!

Though my bank stocks finally rocketed
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Has Trump tweeted yet? I'd love to see him try to claim this was his doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Has Trump tweeted yet? I'd love to see him try to claim this was his doing.
    No, retweeted the vaccine news, then been spamming Fox News and conspiracy theories.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Good analysis. With the potential for a vaccine by DEC, we will see this impact the market more than who is president, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No, retweeted the vaccine news, then been spamming Fox News and conspiracy theories.
    It looks like Tucker Carlson is bailing on Trump.

Looks like the rotation out of tech stocks might be starting.
    Some beaten down sectors doing really well.

A lot of people are making huge bet on these stocks down 40-60%+.
    They are long term bets since we know the winter is going to be really bad, but its a good play if you got the time.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Looks like the rotation out of tech stocks might be starting.
    Some beaten down sectors doing really well.

A lot of people are making huge bet on these stocks down 40-60%+.
    They are long term bets since we know the winter is going to be really bad, but its a good play if you got the time.
    Tech already rebounded. Pretty much all tech stocks went up today.

Yep. Every single US airline stocks went down. Cruise stocks down. Hotel, gaming and resort stocks down. Boeing and every other defense contractor stocks down. Oil and gas stocks down.

Long live our tech overlords.

Pfizer is down also. Lulz.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2020-11-11 at 07:41 PM.

Tech already rebounded. Pretty much all tech stocks went up today.

Yep. Every single US airline stocks went down. Cruise stocks down. Hotel, gaming and resort stocks down. Boeing and every other defense contractor stocks down. Oil and gas stocks down.

Long live our tech overlords.

Pfizer is down also. Lulz.
    Most of them are still up more than tech in the last 5 days. Gas/oil, banks, financials, consumer staples, etc.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Most of them are still up more than tech in the last 5 days. Gas/oil, banks, financials, consumer staples, etc.
    I think once the euphoria ended, and people realize that the vaccine requires two doses and the challenge of mass distribution of a vaccine that will require constant -80C during transport, reality will come crashing down.

I think once the euphoria ended, and people realize that the vaccine requires two doses and the challenge of mass distribution of a vaccine that will require constant -80C during transport, reality will come crashing down.
    ya but it will still get done, the impending rebound of those stocks would realistically just be slower but inevitable.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!