Page 89 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    The difference is good writing vs. bad writing.

You do these comparisons all the time, calling-out people for having the "wrong" opinion all the while missing the point entirely.
    Well that is Endus for you...well that is most Drekkies for you. All they do is attack...tell you how wrong you are while ignoring reality because they can't defend this trash so they have to try and destroy anything that stands in their way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    the problem in Discovery is Burnham, too much of her and like Endus said it didn't make any sense after she did her having so much "power" on the bridge

also her having Vulcan education doesn't show, she is just a whinny that is there to steal everyone performances around here

make the show following the other characters and also them resolving the problems instead of 99% of the problems being resolved by Burnham and will be alot better

if in S3 they make her captain i just wont watch it
    Have you seen the image and previews for the next season...she basically has a god complex after future guy pines over her starfleet badge and basically tells her she is the only hope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Well that is Endus for you...well that is most Drekkies for you. All they do is attack...tell you how wrong you are while ignoring reality because they can't defend this trash so they have to try and destroy anything that stands in their way.
    Literally what I'm doing is defending the show. It's a good show. Solid Trek. I'd put it somewhere above Voyager, after Season 2, though my ranking's subject to change over time as we get more episodes, of course. Maybe higher than Enterprise. Definitely lower than TNG or DS9, but if you made me put the first season up against either of their first seasons, that'd be a tough choice.

Meanwhile, all you've got is lazy personal attacks, like calling me a "Drekkie", as if that's a thing. You can't actually argue against my points, so you attack me as a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Discovery and Picard are miles ahead of the old Trek shows. Though that doesn't really require much, let's be honest. The production quality on the old shows are.. is there any? Not really.

Even the movies are more enjoyable.
    Hi

All that Discovery has going for it is production quality, yes. If we start to deconstruct all the stupid stuff happening in season 2 alone ("signals", time travel mumbo-jumbo even the writers don't seem to comprehend, having to 'escape to the future' even tho the threat was neutralized, etc.), we're going down to or below old original series meme episodes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I'm finally getting around to Discovery and episode 6, the time loop episode with Mudd, is when the show finally really clicked with me. Now I find I'm enjoying it pretty well, though I really dislike the Klingon design still.
    Yeah, that was a very fun episode, and their version of Mudd is great. The whole back half of the season is realy strong, tbh.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much sums up my opinion of where Trek has gone...

10+ Year Old Account
    A fascinating look at the true hero of the USS Discovery. I was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    A fascinating look at the true hero of the USS Discovery. I was shocked.
    You know what's also fascinating? That an alleged sonar-man would actually believe that the Earth was flat. I would've thought that the job would've taught you better. That's even more bizarre than creating a steam powered rocket that can barely that can barely reach a mile.

Actually, scratch that. Its fascinating that two flat earthers watch Star Trek. I guess one of you is gonna have to give it up. I choose you. Since...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It's all there in scripture.
    How did you come to believe that?
    https://answersingenesis.org/astrono...ch-earth-flat/
    "Clearly, the Bible does not teach that the earth is flat. It was Bible skeptics who introduced this false claim in the 19th century. It is a shame that professed Bible-believers recently have embraced this false argument and have gone on to promote the flat earth. When combined with its many scientific and observational problems, the flat-earth theory is disproven."

How is it your entire belief system was developed by a bunch of 19th Century atheists?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone;52668644
    How did you come to believe that?
    [url
    https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/does-bible-teach-earth-flat/[/url]
    "Clearly, the Bible does not teach that the earth is flat. It was Bible skeptics who introduced this false claim in the 19th century. It is a shame that professed Bible-believers recently have embraced this false argument and have gone on to promote the flat earth. When combined with its many scientific and observational problems, the flat-earth theory is disproven."

How is it your entire belief system was developed by a bunch of 19th Century atheists?
    It doesn't say "flat" but it does refer to Earth as something that is flat, has corners, and ends at the horizon. That doesn't make the Bible a scientific paper though
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It doesn't say "flat" but it does refer to Earth as something that is flat, has corners, and ends at the horizon. That doesn't make the Bible a scientific paper though
    Read the link. It goes into a lot of detail about how both metaphorical and literal interpretations of the Bible don't really suggest any form of flat Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The video is about Star Trek: Discovery and the Gen Rhys character, boys. Try to stay on topic.

This is for discussion of Star Trek: Discovery not flat earth or the bible. Stay on topic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    This is for discussion of Star Trek: Discovery not flat earth or the bible. Stay on topic.
    If you move at the speed of light, the Earth (and other spherical bodies) would appear flat.
    I'm not sure how is this missed in Star Trek Discovery. They move around at the speed of light (when not warping), but the Earth is not flat.

Lots of wasted potential in this show.

Watched the first two episodes and its nice to see some actual Star Trekkin' here!

Ok, production still has some Star Wars people in it. We actually visited a Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy! Complete with a Smuggler with a Heart of Gold and his giant, furry friend. Still HanchesterSoloBlack is a pretty cool guy and he's pretty good in a gun fight.

Ok, a proper Trek show would've had our Intrepid Starfleet Officer talk her way out of trouble but at least we get a thin glimmer of hope for a brighter future.

Episode two was also pretty cool. Jett has really mean to Stamets. Its what we all wanted. Stamets included.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know it's back, no hype at all and for a good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I didn't even know it's back, no hype at all and for a good reason.
    After 4 episodes its actually starting to feel like a real Star Trek show. Two episodes in a row where we get to see diplomacy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but that's a very slow pace considering it's a 3rd season not first. New character introduction should have been done in the first episode not go on for 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Yes but that's a very slow pace considering it's a 3rd season not first. New character introduction should have been done in the first episode not go on for 4.
    Its four episodes that all feel like Star Trek episodes. That's more than we got in the entire first season. They're not entirely stepping back from a sci-fi action adventure but at least they're properly weaving in the ideals of science, exploration and diplomacy now. Each episode is also telling a distinct story with a back drop for a greater story.

Book you pretty much got to know exactly who he was in his first episode. That's not slow. Adira Tal we find out who she was in her second appearance. Her first appearance was mostly just a small supporting part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its four episodes that all feel like Star Trek episodes. That's more than we got in the entire first season. They're not entirely stepping back from a sci-fi action adventure but at least they're properly weaving in the ideals of science, exploration and diplomacy now. Each episode is also telling a distinct story with a back drop for a greater story.
    there is NOTHING that feels like star trek about discovery.
    just one example how bad disco is: we are in season 3 and have captain nr 5 of the disco made captain by someone who betrayed star fleet .....
    they should finally rename it to "the bournham show"....