Thread: Baldurs Gate 3

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >caring about 5e in any way, shape, for form
    Soulless regurgitations of previous, respected work, plagued on every inch by the insertion of modern day politics, need to be ignored and shamed at every opportunity.
    OK? What does that have to do with my post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Seems like he just wants to pour his political/social grievances here.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    5e lore doesn't count, so Drow are still kill on sight.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeee, it's not you who decide about that. It's not how it works.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2020-10-25 at 06:00 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoTC disagree, bruv.

But in your TT games you can do whatever, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Depends whether you need your fix now or can wait.

Overall, there is a good 30 hours of content for single full playthrough of the current BG3, which is basically most of Act 1 out of 3.

It is a very early EA - there is only half of the total classes available and many subclasses/specializations and/or spells are not in yet, as well as we're hard capped to level 4 only.

The questing experience and various paths you can take to accomplish your glorious or insidious goals are very numerous, in that regard it feels like Act 1 is complete, especially if you go good path. There are some bugs with some side quests, but the main quest is complete and you get to resolve a big Act 1 area story in a satisfactory fashion too. There are also plenty of side quests big and small alike unrelated or vaguely related to main path with multiple resolution options.

The evil path is more like the "dumb" path now, as in why would you do that unless you're a Russian roulette psycho. It has some perks and its own characters, but overall that one is super unfinished and will definitely be spiced up to make more sense and be more enticing.

The game looks good, character models design and how these models look in conversations is outstanding. Sometimes things make less sense that they should and Larian said they will touch some of it up, but you can mostly connect the dots fine.

I already clocked in more than 100 hours and you don't spend 100 hours+ in something that's genuinely bad.

So if you're like "omg I'm bored I need my crpg fix nao" - then yeah, go on. If you can wait half a year though - better do that, you'll get a more complete game by then with more classes, toys and hopefully level 5.

As it looks now game targets either super late 2021 or 2022, so there is a long time there yet.
    Thanks for the in depth reply. I think I'm gonna sit on it for the moment happy to enjoy the full intended experience when it releases.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    WoTC disagree, bruv.

But in your TT games you can do whatever, so there's that.
    Doesn't matter what they say about it, just like it doesn't matter what Blizz says about Warcraft, or what Disney says about Star Wars. Death of the author. Their word no longer carries weight. Too many objectively bad decisions.

Doesn't matter what they say about it, just like it doesn't matter what Blizz says about Warcraft, or what Disney says about Star Wars. Death of the author. Their word no longer carries weight. Too many objectively bad decisions.
    Death of the author is about interpretation of text, not the canonicity of any given piece of lore. On top of that it refers only to authorial intent and possible influences of their background on what they wrote. Also, even if you were correct on this, which you're not, then the same would apply to pre-5e materials.

On a side note, I can't help but laugh at your remark about "earlier respected work" when the reason why the "soulless" 5e was released so quickly after 4e is because 4e was pretty much hated. Weirdly enough 5e doesn't have that problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

drow are kill on sight in older editions,not in 5e.

If you wanna run 4e or 3.5e in your own games,then that's fine. Obviously BG3 can't just please everyone with their choice of edition to run,and they went for 5e. That means drows won't be kill on sight. It's fine to have issues with 5e (I prefer 3.5e myself),but you can't blame Larian for not following the source material,as what they did makes sense for the edition they're basing their game on

Death of the Author applies to said author's intent and interpretation, not the actual canonity of facts within the work, else I'd be able to say that Jedi actually never use Lightsabers and, well, can't say I'm wrong because Death of the Author guys.

You're free not to like it and make house rules in your campaign if you want. But that doesn't change the canon for everyone else.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I have only played for about 30 mins thus far but is was fucking furious you could not roll your stats. That is traditionally the first hour of any Baldurs Gate game imho!
    From a Twinfinite article back in February, they said they will allow for rolling of stats. In other words, planned feature not yet available in early access. Not sure it's something worth getting furious about.

Relevant Article: https://twinfinite.net/2020/02/baldu...e-3-interview/

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey at LEAST give em a chance to declare if free or not..rare yeah but might be a rare good drow

7+ Year Old Account

I only just found out that you can use the throw action on characters and creatures...and here I thought shoving people around was the best I was going to get

A treat for Larian Games lovers.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hate the damn getting stuck in vines shit when I’m just walking about, had gale burning a path for me across the world

>caring about 5e in any way, shape, for form
    Soulless regurgitations of previous, respected work, plagued on every inch by the insertion of modern day politics, need to be ignored and shamed at every opportunity.
    The game is based on 5e pretending the devs don't understand the source and not liking the source are different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Luckily for us your word holds 0 weight aswell, funny how that works.

I originally wanted to wait, but in the end I couldn't resist and gave it a shot. I have no issues with 5e what so ever, if anything I'm sad that many of my favorite spells haven't made it into the game (yet?). I take cantrips any day of the week over the annoying older systems. I could also never get into the THAC0 cult.

Overall the game is nice enough, but I dislike the start a bit. It's too action packed for my taste and with a new character I would have gladly taken a start like in BG1 which was a bit more chilled. That you have to click the jumping animations for every single character in your party if you want to skipp a puddle is also annoying. I'm also not sure that relying on dice rolls for everything is the best choice. Having a high charisma character and failing a low charisma check (or any check for that matter) because of dice rolls feels just shit. Not manner of dice luck for your rare cases where it pays off will ever be worth it in hindsight. I wish there would be a gameplay custimization option that would set hard levels of stats for some of these checks instead so that you can also play it safe, like many games have since adapted as their standard model.

I don't have many issues with the characters, the only one that annoys me is the yellow bat cunt so far, but that is intentional I guess. I also love how you can still find creative ways to enter places via misty step or jumping there. I really couldn't be arsed to do the selune disc puzzle and cheesed my way in via the hags lair, I love doing such things. The divinity approach is probably the closest thing you can get to real DnD feeling in that regard, so I'm all for utilizing the world as much as possible, even though alot of people seem to prefer the simple things of yesteryear.

I would not advice people to hop into the game right now though. I have had alot of crashes and many little annoying quest state registration issues. This is clearly an early access beta, not a marketing one with faux disclaimers just in case. I hope they have alot bug testers for the rest of the game, because if this version is anything to go by then they will need them. The character limit to level 4 also feels like too low for the content on offer. I could have easily reached 5 if not 6+ with all the EXP in the zone and some of later encounters feel a bit badly balanced.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I originally wanted to wait, but in the end I couldn't resist and gave it a shot. I have no issues with 5e what so ever, if anything I'm sad that many of my favorite spells haven't made it into the game (yet?). I take cantrips any day of the week over the annoying older systems. I could also never get into the THAC0 cult.

Overall the game is nice enough, but I dislike the start a bit. It's too action packed for my taste and with a new character I would have gladly taken a start like in BG1 which was a bit more chilled. That you have to click the jumping animations for every single character in your party if you want to skipp a puddle is also annoying. I'm also not sure that relying on dice rolls for everything is the best choice. Having a high charisma character and failing a low charisma check (or any check for that matter) because of dice rolls feels just shit. Not manner of dice luck for your rare cases where it pays off will ever be worth it in hindsight. I wish there would be a gameplay custimization option that would set hard levels of stats for some of these checks instead so that you can also play it safe, like many games have since adapted as their standard model.

I don't have many issues with the characters, the only one that annoys me is the yellow bat cunt so far, but that is intentional I guess. I also love how you can still find creative ways to enter places via misty step or jumping there. I really couldn't be arsed to do the selune disc puzzle and cheesed my way in via the hags lair, I love doing such things. The divinity approach is probably the closest thing you can get to real DnD feeling in that regard, so I'm all for utilizing the world as much as possible, even though alot of people seem to prefer the simple things of yesteryear.

I would not advice people to hop into the game right now though. I have had alot of crashes and many little annoying quest state registration issues. This is clearly an early access beta, not a marketing one with faux disclaimers just in case. I hope they have alot bug testers for the rest of the game, because if this version is anything to go by then they will need them. The character limit to level 4 also feels like too low for the content on offer. I could have easily reached 5 if not 6+ with all the EXP in the zone and some of later encounters feel a bit badly balanced.
    The CEO of Larian talked about RNG and possibly offering a non dice roll version of the game. Kind of interesting, since I agree right now RNG plays too large a role. Stream is here its near the beginning: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763351879. You can offer feedback about the RNG via the Larian Launcher as well if you want something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    The CEO of Larian talked about RNG and possibly offering a non dice roll version of the game. Kind of interesting, since I agree right now RNG plays too large a role. Stream is here its near the beginning: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/763351879. You can offer feedback about the RNG via the Larian Launcher as well if you want something like that.
    Ah cool, thanks. Something like a game-mode option would be ideally what I want, nice to see that they are open to such things.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.