Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    If/when Overwolf retracts API access and breaks WoWUp, I'll look into alternatives, but that alternative will never be Overwolf
    This lol

I use Ajour and if they break it I'll use something else but the 'something else' will never be Overwolf

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I get that Overwolf is a POS and so on, but what I don't get is, can't you just turn it on, update your addons, and turn it off again like Twitch?

I think I'll switch to WoWUp though, and if Overwolf cancels their access to stuff I'll just have to work it out, maybe cut down the number of addons I use or whatever.
    It would seem people aren't talking about what the curseoverwolf client can do but what they've experienced (or heard about) in the past. Although that being said people don't like that overwolf 'collects data to sell'
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Which data exactly? I've entered zero my data when I tried the app.
    https://www.overwolf.com/legal/privacy/

My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I don't get all the anti-OW fuss in this thread and some others on different forums. I've just installed their app to check what it is all about. Opened it and got pretty much same screen I had in Twitch or in old Curse app - I won't be surprised if they just retooled code that served Twitch tab. I've updated addons, I've closed app. THE END.

Yes, that's it. You don't need to run anything in background while playing. You don't even need to log in like YOU'VE HAD TO in Twitch. You don't need to agree to give elevated access like YOU'VE HAD TO in Twitch. You open. You update. You close and forget about OW until you want to update next time.

So, what exactly is the problem?
    There is no problem, I will do it exactly like this. People been jumping on hatewagon without having a clue what are they talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Which is going to be exactly zero since overwolf won't have that info anyways. Have you actually read that?

If no, let me explain it to you:

1. Operational information - since I would be using only curseforge/ow app once a month they will only have just that info.
    2. Analytical info - again zero info since OW won't be running when I play these games. Also you can opt this out.
    3. Diagnostic info - boo hoo they will know my computer specs, greedy bastards selling that national level security info to 3rd parties and make millions of it! Again, can opt-out.
    4. Optional account info - most people won't create account. I already have since Im addon author.
    5. Billing info - nope, most users wont.
    6. Website analitics - every website is using that.

So again, what secret info are they trying to sell? Have you actually considered that this info is useless except for targeted adds inside that program?

I downloaded it, seems fine... Ill have my wife post an update if I die anytime soon. I know my data being stolen by curseforge could very well end my life, and if I seen an ad? omg...... lol

Elvui and TSM both have their own apps. If Weak Auras isn't on Overwolf I definitely won't bother with them at all then. The handful of addons that I use beyond those can be manually updated.

Information we collect
    So, in short:
    1) When you install something in main appstore OW app, we remember it.
    2) We remember history of actions in our service.
    3) We remember your OS and get crash reports
    4) If you create OW account WE, WILL REMEMBER THAT! (No shit? Thanks Captain Obvious!)
    5) If you fill payment data, we will remember that. (You know, because if they throw them away they can't bill you)
    6) We have stuff like google ad tags.

Now DO you realize that everything listed is pretty much what each and every program/site that has account saves on their site? This very forum:
    2) Remembers your action, to present it to you in profile and to other users when you click something like "find last posts".
    3) Remembers your OS and browser in server logs. Since it is online there's no crash reports.
    4) MMOC too stores your account data. Because that's what accounts are for.
    6) MMOC too have stuff like google ad tags - I've just checked.
    The only difference MMOC does not remember billing and history of installs since it is no shop, so that's natural.

Once again, what exactly is the problem?
    Last edited by rowaasr13; 2020-11-10 at 10:54 AM.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

People who dont like Overwolfs practises will use alternatives, and people who like Overwolf as a company will use their app.

There really isnt anything to argue here, everyone has their own opinion on which is the best.
    Personally the best for me is the most lightweight cut the crap app that you just use to install addons and nothing else.
    Thats why apps like WowUp and Minion trumps Overwolf or Twitch-app for that matter, to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overwolf has a dubious history of collecting data and selling it to third parties (As far as collecting information from TS3 and other apps you used the overlay for without permission), now everyone has their own stance on this, i stand that it is basically malware with some functionality. Another has highlighted a page back that even if you simply open it and close it again your are subjecting yourself to a whole host of intrusions and data gatherers for the time it is open.
    Same as how people have their own stance on platforms like Facebook being allowed to sell your data and even images (not allowed in Europe) to third parties for advertisement purposes.

Now if that is bad or good you have to decide for yourself, that's why alternatives are purposed. Just as you don't find it a big deal others do find it a big deal and both are correct cause it is a personal matter. Because nobody is going to convince you based on a slippery slope argument that it is bad despite there being a precedent and the opposite also holds true.

Regardless i find this sort of scrutiny is good from a consumer stand point as it means a company is being monitored and held accountable to a point for their actions. I could be wrong and overwolf can build out a good platform where they fairly pay out the developers the 70% they claim they will, although i suspect there's a lot of fine print behind all that, because 70% of what revenue exactly

And even if you don't appreciate the entire discussion around this for whatever reason, it at least i hope made people aware of viable alternatives what again is good for the consumer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cathbadh View Post
    Elvui and TSM both have their own apps. If Weak Auras isn't on Overwolf I definitely won't bother with them at all then. The handful of addons that I use beyond those can be manually updated.
    That was an error made by the interviewer Weakaura's is still present on it.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I just want to play the game, not partake in crusades against corporations. Using WoWup now and it's fine. If it stops working, I'll jump to whatever addon manager is working after that. I have too many addons to check their versions and update them manually.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

I have always updated my Addons manually, since the dawn of time. It takes about 5 minutes with copy&paste. I update once every month unless there is a pressing bug present I have been fine with this procedure. I also don't use excessive amounts of addons. I have ElvUI and then ATT, Silver Dragon and Details, a niche addon here and there. That's about it. At maximum I am around 10 addons per expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    So again, what secret info are they trying to sell?
    I never said that, I only provided the information of why people may be against overwolf. I personally don't give a shit because I've already switched to Ajour

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, what exactly is the problem?
    Ask the people with the problem and not the messenger
    My Collection

10+ Year Old Account
    CurseForge Suspending Addon Updates During Shadowlands Launch Week.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=319169/...ds-launch-week

The WoW addon repository Curseforge, now owned by Overwolf, has posted an important update regarding site functionality, which will see all site support and project moderation suspended during the launch week of Shadowlands. While it appears that addons may still be downloaded during that time, it means addon authors will be unable to upload new or update existing addons from 11/24 until at least 11/30, though full site functionality is not expected to return until early December.

This timing could not be more wrong. Let us hope wow interface can provide to be a good alternative. Even if this was planned ahead of time this shows to how little overwolf is connected to the wow community and their addon needs.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Will this change anything for someone who uses CurseForge to download AddOns manually?

With the whole OverWolf taking over thing, that is.
    Last edited by Dalheim; 2020-11-17 at 08:19 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

The WoW addon repository Curseforge, now owned by Overwolf, has posted an important update regarding site functionality, which will see all site support and project moderation suspended during the launch week of Shadowlands. While it appears that addons may still be downloaded during that time, it means addon authors will be unable to upload new or update existing addons from 11/24 until at least 11/30, though full site functionality is not expected to return until early December.

This timing could not be more wrong. Let us hope wow interface can provide to be a good alternative. Even if this was planned ahead of time this shows to how little overwolf is connected to the wow community and their addon needs.
    What a great way of building a positive relationship with your customers. As if people didn't look at them with enough negativity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    Will this change anything for someone who uses CurseForge to download AddOns manually?

With the whole OverWolf taking over thing, that is.
    For now it won't but it might be made accessible only through the client also take note that CurseForge won't see new addon updates during launch week as before mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    What a great way of building a positive relationship with your customers. As if people didn't look at them with enough negativity.
    It remains a bit absurd to do this in the week of a new build and without an actual good time table as they only have an estimate when things will be working again appears to be a duration of 1 to 2 weeks.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    For now it won't but it might be made accessible only through the client also take note that CurseForge won't see new addon updates during launch week as before mentioned.
    Guess I'll just have to pray for some stuff to be on WoW Interface then. I aint getting no client.

Doing this during the busiest time when addons are often updated on a daily basis is just... wow.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

The amount of PR this thing needs tells me it's not worth using.

This lol

I use Ajour and if they break it I'll use something else but the 'something else' will never be Overwolf

- - - Updated - - -

It would seem people aren't talking about what the curseoverwolf client can do but what they've experienced (or heard about) in the past. Although that being said people don't like that overwolf 'collects data to sell'
    Problem with the " don't like collect data to sell." is that they are on a site which literally does it. So does basically every other Web site. Hell I bet most of the software that's on their computer does the same thing.

If you don't want your data sold. You should never go online.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Doing this during the busiest time when addons are often updated on a daily basis is just... wow.
    I mean, the game will be the same it is right now. There is no technical feature missing or not implemented. Most addon developers already working on their addons for months on beta, with the retail version being the same they use on Beta. If you update your addons right now, they will just keep working until December.