Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Why is N'Zoth even a boss if melee exist in the game?

They are simply out of range a lot of the time while the ranged are not. Method had the same criticism.

Welcome to world of warcraft where raids have literally shat on melee since Burning Crusade?
    Crap in Wrath they gave rogues Killing Spree and there were a few bosses where us using it LITERALLY KILLED US.

To add salt to injury it's worth pointing out that there are more melee dps specs than ranged dps! Outrageous!!!

Check out the newest SL(pre-patch) sims: melee DPS don't even exist at the TOP.

I know that's just pre-patch, but the differenced are really high. ...
    Last edited by Eazy; 2020-11-10 at 10:23 AM.

Its easy guys just reroll BM-huntard and your lives will be so simple.

Joking aside, melees has always gotten the shorter straw when it comes to raids for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post

Joking aside, melees has always gotten the shorter straw when it comes to raids for some reason.
    Meanwhile they still stay popular despite devs attempts otherwise.

I was raiding only in TBC but I remember that melees always were a 'special task force', usually 5 melees per raid to handle the specific boss mechanic. I always liked playing melee DPS more than ranged because there was a lot going on compared to ranged where you just spam your rotation and move from time to time. But my memories may be distorted by nostalgia and the fact that it was like 10 years ago or something

Quote Originally Posted by Yavimawa View Post
    I was raiding only in TBC but I remember that melees always were a 'special task force', usually 5 melees per raid to handle the specific boss mechanic. I always liked playing melee DPS more than ranged because there was a lot going on compared to ranged where you just spam your rotation and move from time to time. But my memories may be distorted by nostalgia and the fact that it was like 10 years ago or something
    I never played in TBC but according to your info the tables seem to have turned to completely opposite of what it used to be.

Lets heap insult on top of misery.

Melee Specs added to the game since Vanilla: 5 (Frost DK, Unholy DK, WW Monk, Havoc DH, SV Hunter)

Ranged Specs added to the game since Vanilla: Minus 1 (RIP SV Hunter, never to be seen in raids again).

Blizzard: "We're going to keep adding them until you fucking play them!"

I just treat them ONLY as off specs for doing quests in the world at this point literally in case the main is a tank or healer.
    I have almost reached the conclusion that the melee role itself is broken in the entire game design.
    Sure a rogue may be the ultimate melee with 3 specs and good moves but even that is often OoR.

BfA was super melee unfriendly. and that's an issue. At the same time, this thread is very dramatic about the whole thing.

And so many people want to play melee. Blizzard only releases new melee classes. Deathknight, Demonhunter, Monk... not a single new ranged spec.
    This addon again I've told my raiders 'Please pick ranged specs' and still we ended up with a higher melee ratio. It's a miserable state of affairs.

Raids have always tended to be ranged friendly. Even the "melee friendly" fights are only such because you needed ranged to handle the actual mechanics.

M+, however, has been a different story.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post
    This addon again I've told my raiders 'Please pick ranged specs' and still we ended up with a higher melee ratio. It's a miserable state of affairs.
    What is actually miserable is having to repeatedly root yourself for ~2 seconds (at least before secondary stats go nuts) in order to do your basic rotation. Playing melee is far more fluid - and on top of that, it has been clearly superior (sorry Rets and FDKs) in M+ since its introduction. If raids didn't favour ranged specs so heavily, almost no one would remain playing them, other than maybe BM hunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Welcome to world of warcraft where raids have literally shat on melee since Burning Crusade?
    Crap in Wrath they gave rogues Killing Spree and there were a few bosses where us using it LITERALLY KILLED US.
    The funny thing is that when Blizzard realized melee classes were dominating M+ then they do something about it. They made the AOE cap and the new storming affix. But they have no issue with Ranged classes dominating raiding for a decade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    M+, however, has been a different story.
    Yes and Blizzard have changed a lot of things now to make M+ more ranged friend (or rather melee unfriendly with the new storming affix). So why are they not doing the same thing with raiding? Apparently they are okay with Ranged dominating raiding but they are not okay with melee dominating M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Yes and Blizzard have changed a lot of things now to make M+ more ranged friend (or rather melee unfriendly with the new storming affix). So why are they not doing the same thing with raiding? Apparently they are okay with Ranged dominating raiding but they are not okay with melee dominating M+.
    Do you want every fight to be Baleroc from Firelands? Because this is how you make every raid encounter Baleroc from Firelands.

Seriously, other than Rogue and cannot see a practically reason in terms of performance for why anybody would pick a melee over a BM hunter. The BM hunter can do the exact same thing as a melee but with a 40 yards range. As I see it, people who pick a melee over a BM hunter deliberately crippling themselves. But I guess that's also why we see BM being by far the most played spec in the game.

Seriously, other than Rogue and cannot see a practically reason in terms of performance for why anybody would pick a melee over a BM hunter. The BM hunter can do the exact same thing as a melee but with a 40 yards range. As I see it, people who pick a melee over a BM hunter deliberately crippling themselves. But I guess that's also why we see BM being by far the most played spec in the game.
    Good thing you're main swapping to BM Hunter in SLands, right?

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Do you want every fight to be Baleroc from Firelands? Because this is how you make every raid encounter Baleroc from Firelands.
    Yes, yes... I want every single raid encounter to be like Baleroc... bla... bla... that's exactly what I said... so dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Good thing you're main swapping to BM Hunter in SLands, right?
    No there are other ranged classes which are actually fun. Plus Rogue is still OP even if it a melee.

Yes, yes... I want every single raid encounter to be like Baleroc... bla... bla... that's exactly what I said... so dumb.
    You're lamenting the prevalence of melee in M+ but not in raiding, as if the two types of content are even remotely comparable. They're not, but if they were, it stands to reason you'd want melee-friendly, ranged unfriendly encounters. Wanna guess what kind of encounter Baleroc from Firelands is?

No there are other ranged classes which are actually fun. Plus Rogue is still OP even if it a melee.
    Ah yes -- the 'fun' paradigm. Good thing you've been able to define fun for the entirety of WoW's playerbase. BM Hunter bad... Shadow Priest good question mark? Stonks?