Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Edge or Chrome are the best at this point in time, unless you want to go into some real bizarre niche browsers.
    What do you mean "or". They're the same thing, just with a different skin.

And Firefox isn't bizarre or niche

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What do you mean "or". They're the same thing, just with a different skin.
    I mean Edge has way less crap on top than Chrome - so they aren't exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    And Firefox isn't bizarre or niche
    Firefox is junk, I was referring to some niche and bizarre browsers that are possibly better than Chrome/Edge.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Firefox.

I use mostly Firefox, due to the ability of having a lot of tabs open at the same time. Aslo since the chromium switch, I've been using Edge for things I cant access with noscript and ublock on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chrome has been a bloated piece of crap for a while. A lot of the back end is useless for most people and not as optimized as Google would tell you. Also very easy to give Google more control over your data than you may have knowingly consented to (you consented but didn't really understand what you were consenting to). That's not to say Chrome is 100% trash because it gets the job done for the most part. Its just a pain in the ass when it comes to resource management and privacy.

There's a ton of Chromium-based browsers that give you the Chrome experience without all the Google bloat. Edge (a bit ironic when talking about privacy), Brave, Epic, Vivaldi. They can run most of your favorite Chrome apps and a lot of your settings carry over.

I use Firefox but actually wouldn't recommend it to most people unless you're willing to put in the time to make some of the quirks work. Mozilla is far more privacy-oriented than Google. This leads to Firefox and its derivatives not always playing nicely with some sites and killing some convenient features that Chrome has but great for people who like more control over their browser. Mozilla as a company is forward/interesting in promoting users to become more informed about the technology they use.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    So here's my hot take, both from person perspective and technician one.

I use Chrome. It works perfectly for me (I dont ever run into 'bloat' issues, but maybe I just have a computer to support it.

New Edge seems decent, but offers me nothing to want to change. If it's simply "Chrome but not actually Chrome" isn't a very good convincing factor.

Just the same, Brave and Opera don't offer me anything I really like, and if anything have notably worse compatibility with things. So they're just "Chrome but worse"

Safari is trash. Always has been. Probably always will be. Poor compatibility, slow, and doesn't work with a lot of government websites.

Firefox -seems- nice, but I could never switch over to it. 90% of 'web browser issues' I have with customers is firefox related, either crashing, or loading improperly, needing reinstalls. My Fiance struggles with it, but refuses to switch to chrome because reasons. If I have 5 "Firefox" problems a week, and 0 "Chrome" problems a week, that to me says that Firefox is too much of a hassle.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

From what I understand almost every browser these days is pretty much a chrome based product? Minus of course whatever Apple is pushing and probably a few other obscure ones. I know one is some "ice dragon" browser that isn't chrome.

I mean you are pretty much stuck with it because it has become the standard. At least for a while until the next "standard" comes along. If you DL another browser and it feels better/faster it's probably because you just have your other browser slam fucked with tons of apps/extensions/themes that have turned it into a slug more than the actual browser being a chump.

Am I wrong here?

I have been using Lynx since the early 1990's, it's fast and works well for what I need. It can be a bit of a faf to install though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    I personally like Brave. It's chrome but with script and ad-blocker built in.
    Is it actually blocking the rampant embedded twitch ads that are plaguing everyone these days?

I use Opera GX. I like the twitch and messenger integration combined with ram and CPU saving features that you can enable. Also it looks neat!

15+ Year Old Account
    I use firefox on the pc and chrome on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I've been using Firefox (with various assortments of privacy/ad blocking/script blocking addons) for something like 10-15 years and have had very few problems with it. I don't really have anything against Chrome, but I'm happy enough with Firefox that I've never had to consider switching.
    Same situation here, although I do have an issue using Google products in general. Firefox + Ublock/Noscript with DDG as the default search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I use mostly Firefox, due to the ability of having a lot of tabs open at the same time. Aslo since the chromium switch, I've been using Edge for things I cant access with noscript and ublock on.
    I find myself doing this as well. Edge is pretty good for those once in a while use-cases where you can't be bothered configuring noscript.

Good old firefox .. tried chrome at some point and it was bad at ram management so I never tried it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    90% of 'web browser issues' I have with customers is firefox related, either crashing, or loading improperly, needing reinstalls. My Fiance struggles with it, but refuses to switch to chrome because reasons. If I have 5 "Firefox" problems a week, and 0 "Chrome" problems a week, that to me says that Firefox is too much of a hassle.
    That because the less computer savvy you are the more problems you have overall. In this thread more people seem to prefer Firefox over Chrome and mysteriously have no problems with it. If you want everything to "just work" forever by all means use Chrome or better still migrate to Apple.

I use Chromium in both Linux and Windows but I started using Chromium Edge since the beta preview made its way to Linux. Liking what I see for now, and will probably switch to it once its fully featured in Linux too. It also feels faster to load than any other Chromium based browsers like Brave, Opera or Vivaldi

To me there is no difference between regular Chrome and Edge. You either give your data to Google or you give it to Microsoft so I don't really get the hate for Edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to use Firefox for years, but in my opinion it got progressively worse/outdated as time went on.

I'm pretty satisfied with Chrome, but all my machines are decked with I7 of last generation or -1 of that and very minimum of 16GB RAM. So there are simply no issues there.

I would consider new Edge, as I keep hearing good things about it, but then it's basically Chrome, really, so what's the point. Maybe more efficient, but I don't hurt for resources anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to use Chrome until i did some testing.

Turns out Firefox uses like 1/3 less ressources with the exact same Tabs opened. (no addblock mods active on both)

I opened the exact same 100 tabs on both and while Firefox was slow, it didnt crash like Chrome did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    That because the less computer savvy you are the more problems you have overall. In this thread more people seem to prefer Firefox over Chrome and mysteriously have no problems with it. If you want everything to "just work" forever by all means use Chrome or better still migrate to Apple.
    So you're saying chrome just works, and firefox requires some level of computer aptitude to function properly?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    The new Edge is surprisingly good and accepts firefox and chrome extensions. It also has a mobile version that syncs with desktop and has built in adblocking.