Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It's more of a social outing than just watching a movie. That and the big screen with a cranked up bass is hard to beat at home.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I stopped going many years ago when it just got to darn expensive. But I want them to be open, or there will be more focus on stopping free online streaming.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    I stopped going many years ago when it just got to darn expensive. But I want them to be open, or there will be more focus on stopping free online streaming.
    Yeah good point, if theaters died and everything was instantly available through the internet then there would probably be a huge spike in free streaming and pirating. My guess is the industry would lose maybe 20% of their currently paying customers over a few years and then it would level out. It's just one of those things that can't totally be avoided. If the majority of consumers don't pay for it then there would be less good movies.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-11-11 at 07:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiljaedan View Post
    Can we all agree movie theaters have come to an end and the day of movies going straight to VOD is where it’s now at.

Covid has brought many changes and movie theaters becoming a thing of the past is one of them. As some movies start going straight to vod. I think people and companies are realizing they are better off going this route both financially since they keep more of the profits.

Pretty much no real movies have been released this year and more movies on vod have been released and found to be successful. In my opinion is a much needed change. I’m so over the days of people talking, having to hold it in to use the rest room and paying for over priced popcorn and drinks. Or worse yet someone’s phone going off or shining next to me cause they have to txt.

Now we can sit at home pause a movie, order take out from a place we want to eat, rewind something we didn’t hear cause someone said something or laughed.

P.s. before anyone complains about missing out on surround sound. Speakers for this are pretty cheap now a days and very easy to install. So if you really want that just go to Best Buy or Amazon purchase it and boom there you go.
    I ain't mad. Though I really enjoy watching movies on a large screen with amazing audio, the price has gotten way out of hand. Especially with the dine-in movie theaters. Spend around $15 per ticket, then spend $30 each on food. Going to the movies at one of these places with just 1 other person can approach $100 if you eat there as well. Yeah, you can spend just the ticket price and not eat or drink anything, but that is still $30 to see a 1.5 hour movie.

Too much for me these days. There is greater value in streaming services.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean it's kind of like saying we won't need concerts anymore because we can stream music.
    As a musician myself, I disagree with this comparison. Maybe if you say there is no point in a concern due to being able to watch a live performance on youtube. But that is obviously not the same thing still as quality of the videos are hit or miss. Either you end up with an edited high quality recording of the concert, or you end up with some ass hats cell phone recording. Either way, the experience is still different than seeing it live.

With movies vs home viewing, the video quality is as good as your TV and home theater. It doesn't back on how well it was recorded as the you get the same product in the theater and at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It's more of a social outing than just watching a movie. That and the big screen with a cranked up bass is hard to beat at home.
    A 65" TV, comfy couch, and a quality subwoofer/satellite speakers can give you a comparable experience. Obviously not the same, but still a good experience.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    As a musician myself, I disagree with this comparison. Maybe if you say there is no point in a concern due to being able to watch a live performance on youtube. But that is obviously not the same thing still as quality of the videos are hit or miss. Either you end up with an edited high quality recording of the concert, or you end up with some ass hats cell phone recording. Either way, the experience is still different than seeing it live.

With movies vs home viewing, the video quality is as good as your TV and home theater. It doesn't back on how well it was recorded as the you get the same product in the theater and at home.
    What I'm saying is being able to stream music didn't end music concerts, and home streaming won't end theaters.

Theater attendance will probably go down, but you know it's already down massively from the days before VCRs - and even more from the days before home TV. As alternatives have come up it has become more niche but it won't disappear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What I'm saying is being able to stream music didn't end music concerts, and home streaming won't end theaters.

Theater attendance will probably go down, but you know it's already down massively from the days before VCRs - and even more from the days before home TV. As alternatives have come up it has become more niche but it won't disappear.
    I have a feeling now that people have had this time away from their usual consumerism, previous indulgements may be reviewed to see if they are worth it. As theater's saw a steady but slow decline in attendees, this year may move that exodus forward a bit more. It is quite likely people will return, but the thing I wonder is if it will be enough to sustain the establishments.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I have a feeling now that people have had this time away from their usual consumerism, previous indulgements may be reviewed to see if they are worth it. As theater's saw a steady but slow decline in attendees, this year may move that exodus forward a bit more. It is quite likely people will return, but the thing I wonder is if it will be enough to sustain the establishments.
    Well the US probably has an even worse year ahead of it with Coronavirus in 2021. So domestic theater-going will likely continue to slump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

there are different situations, but overall it's terrible

Movie theaters will still be wanted. You can't replace the immersion of a big screen and surround sound at your house unless you live in like one of those mansions that has a movie room, and even then people still like having their outtings.

Although to be honest I was only really going to the movie theaters for huge releases, so like 4 times per year. And even then it's annoying to be around other people who could ruin the experience by making noise or moving around.

Anyway, I actually miss Broadway wayyyy more than I miss movie theaters. It's an entirely different experience. I'm not planning on going to a theater (or any other indoor activity) until mid-2021 at least or until it's safe, but I'm definitely prioritizing Broadway over a regular movie.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiljaedan View Post
    Can we all agree movie theaters have come to an end and the day of movies going straight to VOD is where it’s now at.

Covid has brought many changes and movie theaters becoming a thing of the past is one of them. As some movies start going straight to vod. I think people and companies are realizing they are better off going this route both financially since they keep more of the profits.

Pretty much no real movies have been released this year and more movies on vod have been released and found to be successful. In my opinion is a much needed change. I’m so over the days of people talking, having to hold it in to use the rest room and paying for over priced popcorn and drinks. Or worse yet someone’s phone going off or shining next to me cause they have to txt.

Now we can sit at home pause a movie, order take out from a place we want to eat, rewind something we didn’t hear cause someone said something or laughed.

P.s. before anyone complains about missing out on surround sound. Speakers for this are pretty cheap now a days and very easy to install. So if you really want that just go to Best Buy or Amazon purchase it and boom there you go.
    Not at all - and this is even with the top two movie theater companies filing for bankruptcy. The market will recover and going out to the movies will resurface. If you think about the movie theater infrastructure currently in place in the United States - almost cathedral like big-box-store size buildings dedicated to showing movies, and very little industry that could repurpose them.

At some point when COVID-19 subsides and we're back to a relatively "normal" market and social outings, people will be back to the movies.

So even if Regal and AMC don't survive, something else will come along, and buy out those properties or re-up the leases (or whatever) and they'll be back in business.

Wonder Woman sequel is coming out in a month, I think.
    Gonna be all over that..
    ...err...I mean..yeah..that's what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    RIP theatres.

Wonder Woman 1984, will simultaneously be released in theaters and on HBO Max on December 25th.
    A press release from Warner Bros. confirms the film will be available for one month, and premiere in theaters in international markets on December 16th. After the one month period is over, the film will play exclusively in theaters.

Hoping this pressures Dune to a streaming release sometime before next year.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss it. Matinees on a hot day. Overly iced sodas. Popcorn loaded with so much butter it's almost too gross to eat. Knuckleheads laughing at lame jokes. Someone failing to silence a fart. Parents trying to explain to their children what pegging is -- thanks, Deadpool! People walking out of the theater and spoiling the movie you're about to see.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

I miss going to the movie theater...