Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Problem with the Pfizer vaccine, has to be transported at below 70° degrees. What we currently don't have a transport system for yet.

That is assuming it gets through it's final testing phase.
    I think people are jumping the gun too early on it, we haven't seen the data and it has not been peer reviewed as of yet. It looks promising but more information is needed.

Problem with the Pfizer vaccine, has to be transported at below 70° degrees. What we currently don't have a transport system for yet.

? I've gone into tons of pharmacies around my area (US) and every one of them has a fridge/freezer for storing different types of medications, they also have these things called refrigerated/freezer trucks used for transporting frozen or never frozen products...I don't get the worry about it needing to be below 70 degrees or the idea that transport systems like that don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    ? I've gone into tons of pharmacies around my area (US) and every one of them has a fridge/freezer for storing different types of medications, they also have these things called refrigerated/freezer trucks used for transporting frozen or never frozen products...I don't get the worry about it needing to be below 70 degrees or the idea that transport systems like that don't exist.
    It's -70 degrees, not +70, close to the temperature of dry ice. A standard freezer is about 0 degrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said above speaking of minus 70 Celcius not farenheit. Which poses a new challenge as news is reporting we don't really posses such transportation on mass scale ������

- - - Updated - - -

As said above speaking of minus 70 Celcius not farenheit. Which poses a new challenge as news is reporting we don't really posses such transportation on mass scale
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Roughly the same temp as dry ice.
    Got plenty of that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Roughly the same temp as dry ice.
    Got plenty of that here.
    what are you doing with that much dry ice? creepy?

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    It's -70 degrees, not +70, close to the temperature of dry ice. A standard freezer is about 0 degrees.
    -70C is insane

You won't be getting this particular vaccine at your local Walgreens...or clinic. Likely hospitals only for a while assuming it gets approved.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    -70C is insane

You won't be getting this particular vaccine at your local Walgreens...or clinic. Likely hospitals only for a while assuming it gets approved.
    they most likely would set up mobile vaccine centers funded by taxpayers for the distribution and storage while Walgreens gets to administer and collect the fees.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You're joking right? You do know we invented refrigerated trucks a loooong time ago right?

*edit

I see you meant below -70 not below 70. Huge difference there lol
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    -70C is insane

In Germany we plan to build special centers to administer BNT162, afaik.

Technically hospitals and pharmacies should also have the cooling abilities though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You're joking right? You do know we invented refrigerated trucks a loooong time ago right?

*edit

I see you meant below -70 not below 70. Huge difference there lol
    Yeah forgot in the initial post that not everyone uses Celcius as a standard measure for temperature. Transport economists on the news here mentioned that it would require developing something new to do this. Regardless it's a vaccine and we have to be brutally honest us western regions are going to get it long before anywhere else so we'll find a transport solution, African nations are going to be less fortunate.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    what are you doing with that much dry ice? creepy?

You know you're jealous!
    No no...two big suppliers hereabouts...although I have to concede that there's no way they can provide as much as I believe may be needed for the area alone.
    Dry ice is roughly 100 below zero Fahrenheit. Can't put that in any standard freezer since it'll shut down.

Small legal note; I believe most employers can mandate getting this vaccine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh snap... I thought it was strange when saying 70 degrees would be a problem...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    In Donetsk, when in late spring masks were mandated, maybe over half population obeyed, and since we had 3rd best case rate in Europe after Finland and Latvia, the percentage was dwindling over time. By early September, only exceptions had masks even on their chin, the rest wore them in their pockets. Now cases are climbing and perception changed from "scary fairytale" to "a person I know got sick", more than half are wearing masks again, even though we're still doing comparatively well. Governmental enforcement didn't change much, people are doing it on their own. From what I gather, similar process didn't happen in USA at all, people wear masks by their party allegiance? Can someone non-radical share their first hand experience?

On a separate topic, my friend's acquaintance who ended up across the front in Ukraine, died last week from "two-sided pneumonia". A man over 50, didn't know his name but I saw him several times before the war in the street / yard. This is the closest to me Covid death so far, my own family came out unscathed.
    I'm radical, but I'll share my experience anyways.

I have not been out much, so I don't have much first hand experience at all. But here is what I can say.

April or May: went out to do a jog on a bike path. It was near a set of baseball diamonds. The fans that I could see from a distance were not social distanced at all and no masks were worn at all. One older couple was seated behind the right field fences wearing masks.

June or so: DMV for license stuff: about 50-50 on people wearing masks. The DMV did an awesome job (had to have an appointment to be there) of setting up a situation where social distancing was easy.

Went back again in around September, and it was more like 90-10 wearing masks.

My children go to my grandson's football games on Thursday and Friday nights. No social distancing, and next to no mask wearing.

Those are my observations, as well as a second hand report.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You know you're jealous!
    No no...two big suppliers hereabouts...although I have to concede that there's no way they can provide as much as I believe may be needed for the area alone.
    Dry ice is roughly 100 below zero Fahrenheit. Can't put that in any standard freezer since it'll shut down.

Small legal note; I believe most employers can mandate getting this vaccine.
    -70 celsius is -94 fahrenheit. So this would be close to the temperature of dry ice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone on a cruise ship is sick with COVID19.

No, this isn't from January of this year.

WHY THE FUCK IS ANYONE ON A CRUISE SHIP RIGHT NOW?
    Putin khuliyo

Here's a little more info on storing the Pfizer vaccine, it may not be that bad: "Once the Pfizer coolers reach their destinations, hospitals or pharmacies will have a few choices of how to store the vaccine. The easiest option is using ultracold freezers, but not many sites have them. Otherwise, the facilities can stash the trays in conventional freezers for up to five days. Or they can keep the vials in the cooler for up to 15 days, so long as they replenish the dry ice and don’t open it more than twice a day."

The cooler they're referring to is a special one made to ship the vials from the facilities making the vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/12/b...ronavirus.html
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-11-12 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a little more info on storing the Pfizer vaccine, it may not be that bad: "Once the Pfizer coolers reach their destinations, hospitals or pharmacies will have a few choices of how to store the vaccine. The easiest option is using ultracold freezers, but not many sites have them. Otherwise, the facilities can stash the trays in conventional freezers for up to five days. Or they can keep the vials in the cooler for up to 15 days, so long as they replenish the dry ice and don’t open it more than twice a day."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/12/b...ronavirus.html
    You think they'd throw out vials of liquid money just because they weren't kept cold? The same hospitals that prioritize money over patients?
    *laughs in capitalism*
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You think they'd throw out vials of liquid money just because they weren't kept cold? The same hospitals that prioritize money over patients?
    *laughs in capitalism*
    Hospitals prefer not to be sued, so yeah, they'll throw out the $100 vial and use a new one.

You know how humans tend to overreact? Can't wait for a permanent health theater in a post-COVID world instead of recommending actual common sense infection management and prevention tips. Just like the TSA still groping people.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Someone on a cruise ship is sick with COVID19.

No, this isn't from January of this year.

WHY THE FUCK IS ANYONE ON A CRUISE SHIP RIGHT NOW?
    cause corporate profits > lives

- - - Updated - - -

Hospitals prefer not to be sued, so yeah, they'll throw out the $100 vial and use a new one.
    yup even if they win they case they spend way more than 100 on the lawyers they have to hire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    *laughs in capitalism*
    the vials are going to be paid for by the us govt.
    They throw one out it won't cost them a dime.

They are going to be paid for the administration of the vaccine. Won't effect them if they lose a batch.
    Sure the govt won't be happy with them, but what are they going to do?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!