Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Has anyone beaten the game yet? I have heard from a few places that it is actually longer than Odyssey was and still filled with the same levels of bloat and bussywork in the middle parts of the game. If so, that's depressing. A solid 30-40 hour focused AC game would be awesome, a 60+ hour game that meanders far less so.
    Such a weird comment to make, wanting less out of a game. Especially a game where 90% of it is optional side stuff that is not required to do.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Such a weird comment to make, wanting less out of a game. Especially a game where 90% of it is optional side stuff that is not required to do.
    Because that was my biggest problem with Odyssey. The middle part of the game just felt like 30 hours of going from place to place, clearing out very similar camps over and over, not really advancing the story at all, and I got bored and never finished the game. I am not the only one to feel this way, many others also said the same thing. So much so that Ubisoft specifically said Valhalla would be a shorter more focused game but now I have read that isn't the case and it suffers from the same problem with loads of repetitive nonsense. I am just asking if anyone who has beaten the game can confirm if this is the case cause if so, I won't be buying the game.

Because that was my biggest problem with Odyssey. The middle part of the game just felt like 30 hours of going from place to place, clearing out very similar camps over and over, not really advancing the story at all, and I got bored and never finished the game. I am not the only one to feel this way, many others also said the same thing. So much so that Ubisoft specifically said Valhalla would be a shorter more focused game but now I have read that isn't the case and it suffers from the same problem with loads of repetitive nonsense. I am just asking if anyone who has beaten the game can confirm if this is the case cause if so, I won't be buying the game.
    I would assume it is, because this is an assassins creed game and that's what they are. If you aren't about going to some random place to kill some dudes and steal a thing for some arbitrary reasons then this ain't the series for you.

Its the same formula as lots of other games like horizon and tomb raider. Just more or less on rails.

What's up with the weird eyelid glow on characters? Thought it was screen spaced reflections acting up but that's not it. Anyone know if there is a graphics setting that can reduce/remove it?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I would assume it is, because this is an assassins creed game and that's what they are. If you aren't about going to some random place to kill some dudes and steal a thing for some arbitrary reasons then this ain't the series for you.

Its the same formula as lots of other games like horizon and tomb raider. Just more or less on rails.
    The issue is in between going to some random place to kill some random dues and steal a thing for some arbitrary reason 20 times, or 60 times. People might put up with the former and make it through so see the rest of the story, while they will quit before reaching the end of the latter and just drop the game.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The issue is in between going to some random place to kill some random dues and steal a thing for some arbitrary reason 20 times, or 60 times. People might put up with the former and make it through so see the rest of the story, while they will quit before reaching the end of the latter and just drop the game.
    Yeah, this. Previous AC games had some repetitive busy work stuff, but it reached absurd levels in Odyssey, so much so that the devs said they were going to pull back on that with Valhalla. Now I have been hearing that isn't the case and it is just as long and bloated as Odyssey was. Granted, part of the problem with Odyssey was the level system and a big part of the grind was just leveling up and that at least is gone in Valhalla.

Thing is whether you do it 20 times or 60 times is entirely up to you though.

I learned that lesson the hard way playing origins, where I tried to do EVERYTHING in every area and I burned myself out and stopped playing. When I came back to the game I just stuck to the main story and the occasional side quest and I had a much better time and it was nowhere near as much repetitive stuff.

I'm actually playing odyssey now and I'm kinda doing the opposite for now and doing a bit of everything because I'm quite enjoying how they improved the combat. But whenever I don't feel like going to a random question mark I just skip it. Its not required, its just there if I want to do it.

Yeah, this. Previous AC games had some repetitive busy work stuff, but it reached absurd levels in Odyssey, so much so that the devs said they were going to pull back on that with Valhalla. Now I have been hearing that isn't the case and it is just as long and bloated as Odyssey was. Granted, part of the problem with Odyssey was the level system and a big part of the grind was just leveling up and that at least is gone in Valhalla.
    Without spoilers how in what way is odyssey bloated in a different way from previous games? Especially in ways that I'm assuming are mandatory. I'm playing it now and it doesn't seem really any different from say, origins before it.

15+ Year Old Account
    But all games are like that if you boil it down to the base activities. The Witcher 3, for example, was just go to some random place, kill some random dudes, rinse repeat.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Spent 19 hours so far and have 14% completition. The game is phenomenal. The environments are great, and building your little village brings the AC3 vibes. It's just so heartwarming seeing your encampment grow and people enjoying their life there.

I feel like the game is lacking the "red skull over NPC's healthbar" if they are more powerful (the difference between your power and theirs).

Storywise though... I'm not that far yet tbh, but it just feels... wierd? I don't know anything about the times when Norway invaded England, but it feels like the Vikings there are widely accepted? They might be hated or feared, but still accepted in a way? I don't know, you'd think that in a farway land you should feel dangerous, but I really don't. Also I never knew at those times the Roman influence was still so huge (as I said, I'm bad at history).

Regarding the character (I picked male), there's a thing that also seems weird to me, but on the other hand I really enjoy it somehow. The PC is... soft? Emotional? Both in his/her/theirs behaviour and VA. Not how I imagined a viking berserker. I kind of enjoy it though, it's a lot easier to immerse myself into the character, but still... It feels like Ubisoft wanted to show the vikings as the good guys and England as the baddies? At least that's the impression I got (besides raiding lol).

I dislike the raven though. I hardly find any use in it, the target-finding that was there in Origins and Oddysey is gone, and the "sound difference" is hardly noticeable. It's a downgrade overall. Also I can't help it but to hear Semen when the PC says Simin in his soft, sexy voice lmao.

I also feel like some abilities (both from the books and from the points) are bugged? I can't use them / use them properly more often than not. Especially the axe throw after assassination.

Still, can't wait to see how the story unfolds, especially:

How will Eivor betray Sigird? In this case I had this veeeery bad feeling that would happen during the celebration after you kill Kjotve and thats why you leave Norway, but it turned out otherwise. But now I have a strong feeling he'll join the Order of the Ancients somehow

and

How did Eivor's remains ended up in North America?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I'd say it's closer to dark souls with positioning and special/regular attack having thier own place depending on the situation.
    When you say "Similar to Dark Soul" do you mean in terms of playstyle, or also in terms of difficulty? I've heard this one has much smaller player health bars (at least to start) so you're more likely to get utterly steamrolled if you fight too many people, or someone that's too strong. Even as a supposedly "Tanky" character.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Has anyone beaten the game yet? I have heard from a few places that it is actually longer than Odyssey was and still filled with the same levels of bloat and bussywork in the middle parts of the game. If so, that's depressing. A solid 30-40 hour focused AC game would be awesome, a 60+ hour game that meanders far less so.
    Can't quite get my head around people complaining about how long a game is like we have a week to play it before it self destructs. Majority of the "bloat" is side shit you don't have to do and if you're one of these folk that likes to buy games to complete in 20 hours and complain about it being too short then I'm sure you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoto View Post
    Can't quite get my head around people complaining about how long a game is like we have a week to play it before it self destructs. Majority of the "bloat" is side shit you don't have to do and if you're one of these folk that likes to buy games to complete in 20 hours and complain about it being too short then I'm sure you can.
    I like to play games that feel like they are moving forward. I got 30-40 hours into Odyssey and the story just felt like it was treading water. I play games for the combination of narrative and gameplay and when the narrative falls apart, I get bored and stop playing.

Y'all act like I am crazy. It was a major complaint about Odyssey and one Ubisoft even said earlier this year would be addressed in Valhalla. You can do a google search for both of these and find many, many articles on it. BTW, said tweet about it being shorter was from someone at Ubisoft Middle East and was later deleted.

And again, I am not complaining. I was asking for personal experience from anyone who has played both to inform my own purchasing decision. If you are into 60+ hour long Ubisoft games, enjoy! They are just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    Spent 19 hours so far and have 14% completition. The game is phenomenal. The environments are great, and building your little village brings the AC3 vibes. It's just so heartwarming seeing your encampment grow and people enjoying their life there.

I feel like the game is lacking the "red skull over NPC's healthbar" if they are more powerful (the difference between your power and theirs).

Storywise though... I'm not that far yet tbh, but it just feels... wierd? I don't know anything about the times when Norway invaded England, but it feels like the Vikings there are widely accepted? They might be hated or feared, but still accepted in a way? I don't know, you'd think that in a farway land you should feel dangerous, but I really don't. Also I never knew at those times the Roman influence was still so huge (as I said, I'm bad at history).

Regarding the character (I picked male), there's a thing that also seems weird to me, but on the other hand I really enjoy it somehow. The PC is... soft? Emotional? Both in his/her/theirs behaviour and VA. Not how I imagined a viking berserker. I kind of enjoy it though, it's a lot easier to immerse myself into the character, but still... It feels like Ubisoft wanted to show the vikings as the good guys and England as the baddies? At least that's the impression I got (besides raiding lol).

I dislike the raven though. I hardly find any use in it, the target-finding that was there in Origins and Oddysey is gone, and the "sound difference" is hardly noticeable. It's a downgrade overall. Also I can't help it but to hear Semen when the PC says Simin in his soft, sexy voice lmao.

I also feel like some abilities (both from the books and from the points) are bugged? I can't use them / use them properly more often than not. Especially the axe throw after assassination.

Still, can't wait to see how the story unfolds, especially:

How will Eivor betray Sigird? In this case I had this veeeery bad feeling that would happen during the celebration after you kill Kjotve and thats why you leave Norway, but it turned out otherwise. But now I have a strong feeling he'll join the Order of the Ancients somehow

and

How did Eivor's remains ended up in North America?!
    I have a lot of the same concerns as you do with the raven. I liked being able to use raven scout out a fort or whatever then systematically taking out enemies one by one with assassination or going guns a blazing. now it's basically completely just guns a blazing almost every time, the stealthy aspect of this game i'm not enjoying. Raven's only purpose is to locate where a key to a door is or an where to go to find the place to go underground, and that's about it. And the "suspicion" places feel like an ode to the past games, which is pretty cool but the implementation is pretty awkward.

as for historical accuracy, a lot of times when i play the AC games I like to have on my second monitor wikipedia open to check the actual events of the historical figures that are portrayed and actually learn and find some surprisingly accurate stuff. Obviously they take a lot of liberty with the whole isu and other conspiracy nonsense, and also locations of places, (origins was like wtf with some of their location placements) but a lot of things played out pretty similarly. For example at this period, the Vikings had a lot of influence in Mercia, much was absorbed into the Danelaw. I haven't gotten out of Mercia yet, so we'll see how that is, which should feel much more hostile and like you say dangerous, specifically wessex. Also learned Bears and Wolves did actually exist in England during this time only to become extinct soon after. I'm no history buff either, but love learning about it.

I have the same problems with abilities sometimes not working either, especially rage of helheim which I think i've gotten to work like 3 times, but dive of the valkyries which works everytime. most of the rest are hit or miss. I feel like the games needs to be patched several times before it's in a pretty good spot. Also need to fix the bug on the map legend to remove the freaking community photo's. like idgaf about some rando's picture they took in the game. Wouldn't even be a problem if I could play offline, but then I can't get any opals so that's a no.

I feel like once they fix the abilities being bugged it might have the best combat of the series yet. It's the good of origins where you feel the impact of every hit but not the bad where there wasn't much variety, and the best of odyssey where you have a lot of variety, but not the bad in which all enemies were damage sponges.

Also something I hope they add is a preview of tattoo's that you can buy at shops, like they're not exactly cheap, and you have no idea what your buying, same with decorations and other cosmetic features that you can purchase.

Overall though I am so happy with my purchase, and once we get a few QoL implementations and bug fixes it'll only get better.

edit - also want to say optimization in this game on PC is much better than last few. I struggled could never get to 60 was always 45-55fps on last two games no matter what I did with the settings. This game, avg is much higher and everything maxed out.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2020-11-14 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    im enjoying the game a lot but im not enjoying the plethora of bugs that has come with it. several times the game has rolled back progress i've made which is annoying as fuck to spend 30 minutes doing something just to do it all over again. the raiders constantly not showing up for raids or not leaving the boat to raid, the game coming to a complete halt and freezing for 10-15 seconds randomly, the classic bugs with climbing stuff and being stuck mid animation forever, audio issues. i could go on and on about all the bugs i've encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    When you say "Similar to Dark Soul" do you mean in terms of playstyle, or also in terms of difficulty? I've heard this one has much smaller player health bars (at least to start) so you're more likely to get utterly steamrolled if you fight too many people, or someone that's too strong. Even as a supposedly "Tanky" character.
    Nah not in terms of difficulty but you are correct in that you can't take on too many at once because dodge uses stamina and you need to do basic attacks or let it naturally regen over time. When I say similar to dark souls I mean it feels like they copied parts of those games kinda like how bloodborne brought in special attacks with the weapon type. And basic attack/charged attack. Then positioning being important with how you mix in attacks with defense. When you start upgrading your gear i normally 2 shot people with the 2hander axe so you get pretty strong. I'm on the 2nd hardest difficulty. Could probably do the highest but getting one shot by bosses is eh

This game looks terrible.... This is 4k with everything maxed other than shadows and clouds.

Something is very wrong with the textures in this game. Everything looks muddy.

I'm having a blast with the game so far. 20 hours in and I keep getting immersed by just exploring and listening to the music and ambience. It's not quite like Skyrim in terms on music and immersion but I could easily see myself spend at least a few 100 hours in this game

As far as bugs are concerned I've encountered a few. The worst was when my longship was summoned and it got stuck on land for some reason. I had to my main hub to resummon it and travel there again. Again nothing really game breaking like I've seen others mention in this thread though. I must've been lucky

Without spoilers how in what way is odyssey bloated in a different way from previous games? Especially in ways that I'm assuming are mandatory. I'm playing it now and it doesn't seem really any different from say, origins before it.
    I'd say the most grating thing in Odyssey is how little variety there is to side content. Origins had cave exploration, just random chests, camps, tombs and so on. It only dipped down in Kirenaika, that last zone in the north-west of the map where you were mostly going between forts. Odyssey is like if all the map is Kirenaika, almost every single thing you come across has you loot some chests, kill captain and free the prisoners. Terrible mercenary system that only prolongs every single fight doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    The skulls are still in the game. While travelling to a new town for the main quest, I came across a raid that was a bit off the path, I went in there and noticed the red skulls. I hadn’t seen that this was a power lvl 250+ zone (something like that), while my power level was around 25.

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    The skulls are still in the game. While travelling to a new town for the main quest, I came across a raid that was a bit off the path, I went in there and noticed the red skulls. I hadn’t seen that this was a power lvl 250+ zone (something like that), while my power level was around 25.
    They show when you're in combat, but they don't if you're not. Meaning you might engage enemy who's too powerful for you.