Page 1 of 3
LastLast

on today's Opinion Court: "Social bondings and rivalries are the missing ingredient"

On the topic of endlessly giving your opinions as to what is the missing ingredient of the game.

IMO this is undoubtedly a lack of social bonding and rivalries platforms ON TOP of also the playerbase itself forgetting about the importance of this things.

If i asked you what were your greatest moments lived in this game would you reply with:
    "Oh it was doing ingame content X, Y, Z"

Chances are it wasn't the "content" itself that brought you to your best moments.
    Chances are there is other people involved in your best moments.

-----

I would also like to say, Streamers are an AWFUL example of this.
    Asmongold is not being himself and being a normal person.
    He is more like an animal at the Zoo, caged and with people taking photos and throwing him peanuts.
    What i mean by this is that is quite impossible for him to have a "normal playing session with friends or meet new unknown people organically"
    His "cage" are the dungeons he farms...he quite literally stays away from others.

-----

Oh and i know for a FACT the community in WoW has forgotten the importance of this things.
    Transmog competition? Anyone?
    Ive done it a lot of times and NO ONE ever talks.
    Is a "go in and get out" situation...and is supposed to be a SOCIAL platform to interact. Awful

The WoW community is not "talkative" at all.

The CRZ and Server Shards are not helping, true, but as it is right now...im not sure if removing this would magically bring the people back together again.

-----

Veredict?
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2020-11-14 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    -----

Opinions?
    Ever thought about making a myspace page?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Chances are it wasn't the "content" itself that brought you to your best moments.
    Chances are there is other people involved in your best moments.
    I'm not saying it's true or false, but...

Do you have any actual data on this? Or is this all just speculation about how social events leave more lasting impressions than non-social/social-agnostic ones?

Seems like a hypothesis without much to back it up. Are there any surveys to provide data for this? Studies? Polls? Something? ANYTHING?

In fact, what seems striking is how some of the examples you cite seem to support the opposite more than your position: that what's important to people is THEIR experience, irrespective of who it's with; that other players are more necessary ancillaries to getting what YOU want rather than an integral part of the experience itself.

I talk to people in my guild and ring-ins who get invited to the vent/TS/discord by guildies for an M+ or w/e. I might type some advice to a PuG if they're obviously doing something wrong or explain a boss strat (although I've not had to do that in a loooooong time since I only pug leveling content).
    This behavior has literally never changed and I've played wow on and off since vanilla.

People who play up how 'social' wow used to be are in denial.
    You maybe made friends with at max a couple of randoms since you started playing and more than likely anyone you spent any large amount of time playing with was someone you knew outside of the game or your guild.
    WoW isn't an anime, you weren't logging in and befriended a new rando every day, life doesn't work like that.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

1st post: Blog post accusation
    2nd post: Asking for a source
    3rd post: rose tinted glasses accusation

Ohhhh MMO-Champion....how you never change....

Yeah retail folk really hate hearing this argument. Basically what put the nail in the coffin is when they allowed for countless server mergers plus eventually having sharded areas. The chances of you running into the same person and remembering them is basically null. Also the fact that 90% of the content you do at end level is qued content or content you just fly to without ever stepping foot on the ground.

A mixture of these things is what made what we have today, and I don't think it will ever change unless basically everything I mentioned is removed.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno man it was pretty degenerate back in my day when I raided. I was friends with half of my guild, maybe 10-15 people I knew on the server at most and that was it. Over the years, some take breaks, some quit forever, some die in real life. It's been a long fucking time my dude. That's pretty typical of everyone and unless you were "server famous" and one of those people notorious on their server for a time, chances are that's how it was for you.

I still talk to randoms all the time in WoW when I play it. It's nice to do. Is it big and serious and life-changing? Not really but I talk to people when I'm not doing meaningful content because I either raidlog or I sit there bored talking. The prepatch event is 99% sitting around waiting for rares to spawn. It's like fucking Guild Wars 2 and you know what that game involves? Talking to randoms because it's fucking boring. I'm fine with it.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

and an OP who doesn't like it when people contradict him. how unusual

7+ Year Old Account
    Dude, what the fuck are you even trying to say? What do steamers have to do with people not wanting to talk? Why should people just start talking to random nobodies if they don't have to?

10+ Year Old Account
    You talk about the sense of community with your "holier than thou" attitude. The WoW community, as well as this community of WoW, is very talkative.

Here's a great example of being super talkative:

I refuse to be part of this community anymore.

I wish the non-toxic players to live a happy life Make friends. Be yourself. Live a happy life

For the rest of toxic cunts on MMO-C? Go fuck yourselves

Goodbye...bitches? Whatever i must say to get banned Bann me and never see me again over here.

I suppose it's worth noting that attitude is a major part of how you experience the game. Do you want to talk about your attitude?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2020-11-14 at 12:47 PM.

Many peoples (like me) are not too interested in maintaining or even initiating long-disstance "friendships" with someone I will never see. Maybe it is not a problem in Europe, but I live where even somebody from same country could be 10.000kms away. I prefer to be "talkative" with people with whom I can actually talk to IRL at least once a week.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    I dunno man it was pretty degenerate back in my day when I raided. I was friends with half of my guild, maybe 10-15 people I knew on the server at most and that was it. Over the years, some take breaks, some quit forever, some die in real life. It's been a long fucking time my dude. That's pretty typical of everyone and unless you were "server famous" and one of those people notorious on their server for a time, chances are that's how it was for you.

I still talk to randoms all the time in WoW when I play it. It's nice to do. Is it big and serious and life-changing? Not really but I talk to people when I'm not doing meaningful content because I either raidlog or I sit there bored talking. The prepatch event is 99% sitting around waiting for rares to spawn. It's like fucking Guild Wars 2 and you know what that game involves? Talking to randoms because it's fucking boring. I'm fine with it.
    I feel you
    I am also one of those reminiscent of the "golden years" of real life friends group.
    Those were the days...

But times change.
    We changed, the internet changed, the game and other people changed...so we need to adapt.
    I personally am a Discord group guy and love to start conversations.
    So i hop from guild to guild until i find the perfect group of people

As for GW2...i agree. The game feels amazing and alive with everyone talking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by KALAMITY View Post
    You talk about the sense of community with your "holier than thou" attitude. The WoW community, as well as this community of WoW, is very talkative.

I suppose it's worth noting that attitude is a major part of how you experience the game. Do you want to talk about your attitude?
    Good catch.

OP go start a blog.

10+ Year Old Account

Well this explains a fucking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Well I mean, you're saying that it's not "talkative" yet even in a prepatch as criticized as the current one, general chat in Icecrown is flooded with people discussing Shadowlands, or the rare spawns, or just talking to each other randomly.

Hell, while waiting for Bronjahm to spawn, I joined a ton of other players making a cloud serpent circle while making jokes about it. You present what you're saying as facts, yet my experience even in the last two days shows otherwise.

The real issues is whether or not you CHOOSE to get involved with these discussions or spark up discussions with people. There's plenty of socializing in the game, yet more often than not it's that people aren't choosing to and then try to argue "Well, that's the game's fault!" just because they chose the path of not socializing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Well this explains a fucking lot.
    Yes (^_^) it explains at the time i exploded with rage against the constant toxicity against me
    Just to be reminded..."yep, is still there" MMO-C is still the same.

I also said "wish the non-toxic players to live a happy life Make friends. Be yourself. Live a happy life"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well I mean, you're saying that it's not "talkative" yet even in a prepatch as criticized as the current one, general chat in Icecrown is flooded with people discussing Shadowlands, or the rare spawns, or just talking to each other randomly.

Hell, while waiting for Bronjahm to spawn, I joined a ton of other players making a cloud serpent circle while making jokes about it. You present what you're saying as facts, yet my experience even in the last two days shows otherwise.

The real issues is whether or not you CHOOSE to get involved with these discussions or spark up discussions with people. There's plenty of socializing in the game, yet more often than not it's that people aren't choosing to and then try to argue "Well, that's the game's fault!" just because they chose the path of not socializing.
    I sure hope it has gotten better since i left a couple months ago.
    Or maybe i was still in my antisocial phase and didnt realize there were people talking around me...cant remember for sure.
    Would like to experience now with new eyes if there is social adventures to be had in the open world randomly.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a great example of being super talkative
    Oh shit, no wonder people aren't being social with OP - look at that behaviour. Imagine someone being like that in-game. Geez.

Would like to experience now with new eyes if there is social adventures to be had in the open world randomly.
    There is, and always have been. You just don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    There is, and always have been. You just don't want them.
    That would need to be tested.
    I dont recall being totally antisocial and a completely different person a couple months back.
    But i remember not a single word spoken in every Transmog competition...at least on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I talk to people in my guild and ring-ins who get invited to the vent/TS/discord by guildies for an M+ or w/e. I might type some advice to a PuG if they're obviously doing something wrong or explain a boss strat (although I've not had to do that in a loooooong time since I only pug leveling content).
    This behavior has literally never changed and I've played wow on and off since vanilla.

People who play up how 'social' wow used to be are in denial.
    You maybe made friends with at max a couple of randoms since you started playing and more than likely anyone you spent any large amount of time playing with was someone you knew outside of the game or your guild.
    WoW isn't an anime, you weren't logging in and befriended a new rando every day, life doesn't work like that.
    It was more social, and it did work like that for a lot of people. Just because you aren't social doesn't mean others did not make friends, or have fun interactions with different people everyday