Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Pre-patch questline and Calia Menethil

One of the first thing you hear during pre-patch questline is how Calia talks about what happened Arathi Highlands. I know that it has something to do with Sylvanas ambush, but only from out-game sources. Is it mentioned in the game at all?

Apart from a small cutscene with Lilian, Derek and Calia I don't remember anything being told about Calia in-game, and now she's suddenly the next major character?

I only played Horde side of war capagin, maybe most of the Calia stuff happens on Alliance side?

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    One of the first thing you hear during pre-patch questline is how Calia talks about what happened Arathi Highlands. I know that it has something to do with Sylvanas ambush, but only from out-game sources. Is it mentioned in the game at all?

Apart from a small cutscene with Lilian, Derek and Calia I don't remember anything being told about Calia in-game, and now she's suddenly the next major character?

I only played Horde side of war capagin, maybe most of the Calia stuff happens on Alliance side?
    It’s a huge part of the book that came out pre-BFA. it’s completely canon, and even if you didn’t want to read it, you can easily read a summary online. Not even single event that has to do with Warcraft/WoW has to happen in game.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It’s a huge part of the book that came out pre-BFA. it’s completely canon, and even if you didn’t want to read it, you can easily read a summary online. Not even single event that has to do with Warcraft/WoW has to happen in game.
    I'm pretty sure vast majority of players never read that book and most of them probably don't know it exists. Since Blizz is taking such a major step as replacing a character, which existed in the universe for 20 years, with the one no-one heard of before (in-game), I think it's very strange that none of this events are even mentioned.
    Last edited by Queendom; 2020-11-15 at 01:03 PM.

I'm pretty sure vast majority of players never read that book and most of them probably don't know it exists. Since Blizz is taking such a major step as replacing a character, which existed in the universe for 20 years, with the one no-one heard of before (in-game), I think it's very strange that none of this events are even mentioned.
    Cairne says hi.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Calia played a part in Legion, and was mentioned ages ago in Day of the Dragon - a book older than both Wc3 and WoW, and quite a few in-game books mention her. So she's not a new character at all.
    Neither is she replacing Sylvanas (a 17 year old character, not 20). And sure, most players probably haven't read the book, but that's on them because it was actually advertised via the Battle.net desktop app, as was Shadow's Rising, the most recent book. And if that wasn't enough, then they even released a few free chapters before releasing it via their website.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    More quests, mostly dialogue-heavy ones, do involve Calia on the Alliance side. Just like you wouldn't understand much about Talanji if you only played Alliance, you do now have to play both sides to get all of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Calia played a part in Legion, and was mentioned ages ago in Day of the Dragon - a book older than both Wc3 and WoW, and quite a few in-game books mention her. So she's not a new character at all.
    Neither is she replacing Sylvanas (a 17 year old character, not 20). And sure, most players probably haven't read the book, but that's on them because it was actually advertised via the Battle.net desktop app, as was Shadow's Rising, the most recent book. And if that wasn't enough, then they even released a few free chapters before releasing it via their website.
    I don't remember Calia in Legion, did it happen for Alliance?
    I understand that she's not a new character and she existed pretty much the whole time, but she was never a major character.
    Whad do you mean, she is not replacing Sylvanas? Isn't this is what happening right now? Don't tell me that Lilian is the real new Forsaken leader and not just a temporary figure.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember Calia in Legion, did it happen for Alliance?
    I understand that she's not a new character and she existed pretty much the whole time, but she was never a major character.
    Whad do you mean, she is not replacing Sylvanas? Isn't this is what happening right now? Don't tell me that Lilian is the real new Forsaken leader and not just a temporary figure.
    Priest order hall questline (thus also partly paladin). And no, Lillian is acting as the defacto leader of the Forsaken right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    this has been going on for years.
    nothing new here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

Calia also played a role in the Priest campaign in Legion.

She's still relatively new outside the books, though. As before Sylvanas left, she would have killed her on sight (again).

In the books she helped set up a meeting between Humans and Forsaken. Which ended in Sylvanas killing her and the Forsaken that had positive encounters. She got raised by the Naaru of the Priest Order Hall. And recently has been shadowing Lillian Voss in meetings to serve as advisor.

Ingame she's gone from priest in the Order Hall, to helping Derek Proudmoore and the Night Elf Dark Rangers find peace. To now being acknowledged as an advisor to the Horde Council.

So yeah, overall she's still pretty new. And her role hasn't been that big. She's an undead raised in a special way, that seeks to do good for the people of Lordaeron. She's not replaced Sylvanas. People make too big of a deal out of her, I feel.

Don't get me wrong. This is totally going to end with her and Lillian going for peace talks with the Alliance, only for the Scarlet Crusade to ambush them, with Lillian dying, making Calia her successor, and now, finally confronted with murderous rejection by humans, becoming firmly Horde. But Blizzard is clearly planning to build up the character's presence and have her take other roles first. They're building up to it to make the character become worthy of the leadership role first. I think that's fine. Especially as hatred between Horde and Alliance rising again, and the Alliance being to blame next time, is pretty inevitable, and this character just being another vessel to accomplish that, to me. I'm no fan of Horde vs Alliance. But many people are, so there you go.

1) Calia has been in the game since Legion. So you have no excuse. Before then, many people speculated that the NPC Calia Hastings in Theramore was actually Calia undercover. Her whereabouts were a source of constant speculation before her introduction in Legion.

2) Novels are 100% canon. If you choose to ignore them, that's on you, not Blizzard. Before the Storm was advertised massively. It's your fault if you didn't bother to check it out.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-15 at 01:39 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

The only thing you need to know about Calia is boobs. She is Sylvie's replacement eye candy. That is all.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Calia also played a role in the Priest campaign in Legion.

She's still relatively new outside the books, though. As before Sylvanas left, she would have killed her on sight (again).

In the books she helped set up a meeting between Humans and Forsaken. Which ended in Sylvanas killing her and the Forsaken that had positive encounters. She got raised by the Naaru of the Priest Order Hall. And recently has been shadowing Lillian Voss in meetings to serve as advisor.

Ingame she's gone from priest in the Order Hall, to helping Derek Proudmoore and the Night Elf Dark Rangers find peace. To now being acknowledged as an advisor to the Horde Council.

So yeah, overall she's still pretty new. And her role hasn't been that big. She's an undead raised in a special way, that seeks to do good for the people of Lordaeron. She's not replaced Sylvanas. People make too big of a deal out of her, I feel.

Don't get me wrong. This is totally going to end with her and Lillian going for peace talks with the Alliance, only for the Scarlet Crusade to ambush them, with Lillian dying, making Calia her successor, and now, finally confronted with murderous rejection by humans, becoming firmly Horde. But Blizzard is clearly planning to build up the character's presence and have her take other roles first. They're building up to it to make the character become worthy of the leadership role first. I think that's fine. Especially as hatred between Horde and Alliance rising again, and the Alliance being to blame next time, is pretty inevitable, and this character just being another vessel to accomplish that, to me. I'm no fan of Horde vs Alliance. But many people are, so there you go.
    What, all 3 of them?

Most people do, actually. Just because you didn’t know it existed it doesn’t mean nobody else does.

Ah... The age-old debate about if the story should be told exclusively in the game. We already have multiple threads about this focusing on really specific stuff.

I don't think it's fair to consider Calia a main character right now. She had almost no presence in the game and is only involved on the very end of the expansion with, let's say, wrapping up loose threads about undead Night Elves and Derek Proudmoore. In comparison, characters like Rexxar or Lillian had much more involvement in the story on the Horde side. As for the Priest Order Hall campaign, she wasn't any more involved that any side character in all the other classes campaigns either. I think that once the devs decide to make Calia more present in the story, they will include much more stuff about her in the game itself.

People seem to focus heavily on her character's story being told in the books but I think it's not fair. Huge parts of other characters were told that way too. I think of Varian with all of his backstory being told in comics (Valeera as well), or Malfurion and Xavius corruption of the Emerald Dream being explored in a book. Even a lot of Kalecgos or Rhonin stories are both in books and/or mangas. This is not a new trend at all !

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haiyken View Post
    Ah... The age-old debate about if the story should be told exclusively in the game. We already have multiple threads about this focusing on really specific stuff.

I don't think it's fair to consider Calia a main character right now. She had almost no presence in the game and is only involved on the very end of the expansion with, let's say, wrapping up loose threads about undead Night Elves and Derek Proudmoore. In comparison, characters like Rexxar or Lillian had much more involvement in the story on the Horde side. As for the Priest Order Hall campaign, she wasn't any more involved that any side character in all the other classes campaigns either. I think that once the devs decide to make Calia more present in the story, they will include much more stuff about her in the game itself.

People seem to focus heavily on her character's story being told in the books but I think it's not fair. Huge parts of other characters were told that way too. I think of Varian with all of his backstory being told in comics (Valeera as well), or Malfurion and Xavius corruption of the Emerald Dream being explored in a book. Even a lot of Kalecgos or Rhonin stories are both in books and/or mangas. This is not a new trend at all !
    Heck even Thrall was a book character before they released Warcraft 3. If you'd never read the book, but only played Warcraft 2 up to that point, chances are you'd be quite confused as to who this Thrall guy was and why he was warchief - I know I was back in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    1) Calia has been in the game since Legion. So you have no excuse. Before then, many people speculated that the NPC Calia Hastings in Theramore was actually Calia undercover. Her whereabouts were a source of constant speculation before her introduction in Legion.

2) Novels are 100% canon. If you choose to ignore them, that's on you, not Blizzard. Before the Storm was advertised massively. It's your fault if you didn't bother to check it out.
    1) as mentioned above, she has been in game only for a specific class(es), I have never encountered her at any point in Legion
    2) that's the same as saying "game is 100% canon"

I'm not saying that books are bad or that they should be replicated in-game, I'm perfectly fine with them eixting. I just think that an event of replacing a Horde faction leader with some Alliance character hardly known to anyone outside Alliance is questinable at best and should be at least hinted where this character comes from when it's introduced for those who didn't read books. Somethink like several paragraphs of dialogue where Lorthemar introduces you to Calia. How the hell she even turned up in Orgrimmar? Isn't she Aliance?
    Last edited by Queendom; 2020-11-15 at 02:57 PM.

1) as mentioned above, she has been in game only for a specific class(es), I have never encountered her at any point in Legion

I'm not saying that books are bad or that they should be replicated in-game, I'm perfectly fine with them eixting. I just think that an event of replacing a Horde faction leader with some Alliance character hardly known to anyone outside Alliance is questinable at best and should be at least hinted where this character comes from when it's introduced for those who didn't read books.
    1) And 90% of Sylvanas' story is in the game only for a specific faction. Therefore, does that mean that Sylvanas is a tertiary character with barely any story development? Following your logic, they shouldn't have made Sylvanas start Shadowlands, since she's an obscure character to Alliance players, as 90% of her presence in-game is on the Horde side.

Calia has been in the game since Legion. The game doesn't revolve around you. It was your decision to completely ignore the entire Priest storyline of Legion. You have no one to blame but yourself, as it is certainly not Blizzard's fault.

The game doesn't revolve around only ONE faction. You purposefully handicapped yourself by choosing to ignore everything that happens on the Alliance. That's your problem, not Blizzard's.

2) The game is 100% canon, just as the novels are, since they are both official products made and published by Blizzard itself.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Calia has been in the game since Legion. The game doesn't revolve around you. It was your decision to completely ignore the entire Priest storyline of Legion. You have no one to blame but yourself, as it is certainly not Blizzard's fault.
    I can't just randomly do the content in the game to find if I missed any plotlines, I'm saying that there should be some directions as to where this character comes from, if we're talking about such a major situation as this.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account

I'm not saying that books are bad or that they should be replicated in-game, I'm perfectly fine with them eixting. I just think that an event of replacing a Horde faction leader with some Alliance character hardly known to anyone outside Alliance is questinable at best and should be at least hinted where this character comes from when it's introduced for those who didn't read books. Somethink like several paragraphs of dialogue where Lorthemar introduces you to Calia. How the hell she even turned up in Orgrimmar? Isn't she Aliance?
    Litterally all of this is shown in-game - both through quests, cutscenes and lines of dialogue.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't just randomly do the content in the game to find if I missed any plotlines, I'm saying that there should be some directions as to where this character comes from, if we're talking about such a major situation as this.
    "Randomly"... Oh please. Every major questline from 8.2.5 and upward has involved her in some way. But since you can't even look her up on wowpedia; I'll help you https://wow.gamepedia.com/Calia_Mene...le_for_Azeroth