The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It’s be the perfect end to this year if the electoral college decides to up and vote trump in regardless of what the population voted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    It’s be the perfect end to this year if the electoral college decides to up and vote trump in regardless of what the population voted.
    Good thing thats illegal in most of the Union. I'm not going to cross-reference now but I'm Biden would okay even if all the electoral allowed to ignore state polls voted for Trump.

2020 would be like that though. Would explain Trump's confidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's not a binary situation, I'm not sure why you're trying to claim that. The Defund the Police slogan hurt candidates and the DNC. Arizona did ok and kept their blue seats blue, but other blue seats in other states were flipped, in some cases because of the Defund the Police campaign.
    I'm trying hard to leave this subject alone but this statement doesn't make sense to me. You say its not a binary situation...then go on to "because of the Defund the Police campaign". Well you just presented a binary argument based on much of nothing. Which, if any, other reasons might have contributed to the seats being lost?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Sorry to pop in, but I haven't been paying attention to the election outside of hearing that Biden won. Can anyone give some quick highlights as to what's happened during this election, and after?
    Biden more or less one. Technically it's not legal yet but that doesn't really matter because nothing will change after Dec 10th. Trump refuses to concede, which is not surprising and not illegal. He is legally in office until January and technically doesn't have a successor yet. He isn't making the transition of power easy on the country though, something we could be starting now knowing what's going to up in a month an two months from now - might as well get a head start. He received the same treatment. He is exploiting a flaw that should have been fixed decades ago, no real big deal except for him being difficult.

He still has 2 months of power where its his right to fill positions but people will slow walk most of what he says/does due to the holidays approaching and knowing him/they may not be in a government position in a couple of weeks.

Basically a bunch of graduating seniors already got their college accpetance letters but their principal is still trying to nail them for skipping class even though there's only 2 weeks left of school.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm trying hard to leave this subject alone but this statement doesn't make sense to me. You say its not a binary situation...then go on to "because of the Defund the Police campaign". Well you just presented a binary argument based on much of nothing. Which, if any, other reasons might have contributed to the seats being lost?
    Let me try to explain it... You have 5 cups, each consecutively having 20% more water than the previous. You drain 50% of the cup’s whole from each cup. What should the two empty cups have done, to keep from being empty, like the remaining three cups?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    It wouldn’t happen this year... Don’t worry about it... remember that reality TV shows are designed to intensify the drama, but nothing happens in the end.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-11-15 at 12:44 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Trump was ahead on election day by a pretty hefty margin from in person voting. Then the states that decided the election started counting the mail in ballots that they were not allowed to actually count til the polls closed on Election Day. It took about 4 days to count all the votes, and eventually, Wisconsin, Michigan, Arizona, Pennsylvania all flipped blue from the mail in votes. Trump had like a 600k vote lead in Pennsylvania alone before the mail ins were counted, and now Biden is up over 55k I believe at the moment.

Now, since all of the states were called for their candidates, Biden has a 306 to like 232 lead. And since the votes were started counting on election day, there has been about somewhere in the range of 25 or so lawsuits alleging fraud or other bullshit. Trump won 2 of them. One to move his people 6 feet closer to the counting in Nevada or Arizona, not sure which one, and to have the votes that weren't counted but were received after November 3rd. The rest of the lawsuits have been laughably thrown out of court.

A lot of Trump supporters have been claiming that the votes that were counted after November 3rd are illegal, but they were cast by mail or received before November 3rd, so that makes them legal. They are claiming that some 700,000 ballots weren't witnessed in Pennsylvania, even though there was someone there to witness them. They are claiming that some software glitch by Dominion software that counts votes, allegedly gave more votes to Biden, even though there is no evidence of that.

So basically Trump and his supporters are going through the several stages of grief and are stuck on denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Trump lost in an Electoral College result that he called a "landslide" when it fell in his favor in 2016, refuses to concede, claims that counting ballots is fraud (not literally, but that's what his tantrum amounts to). Right-wing pundits conveniently forget that media outlets call every election before the results are official, and use their lapse in memory as further evidence that there's a nationwide mainstream-media-driven conspiracy to delegitimize the election.
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Biden more or less one. Technically it's not legal yet but that doesn't really matter because nothing will change after Dec 10th. Trump refuses to concede, which is not surprising and not illegal. He is legally in office until January and technically doesn't have a successor yet. He isn't making the transition of power easy on the country though, something we could be starting now knowing what's going to up in a month an two months from now - might as well get a head start. He received the same treatment. He is exploiting a flaw that should have been fixed decades ago, no real big deal except for him being difficult.

He still has 2 months of power where its his right to fill positions but people will slow walk most of what he says/does due to the holidays approaching and knowing him/they may not be in a government position in a couple of weeks.

Basically a bunch of graduating seniors already got their college accpetance letters but their principal is still trying to nail them for skipping class even though there's only 2 weeks left of school.
    Sounds like a whole lotta fun. Looking forward to the day when Biden gets sworn in. I kinda hope Trump will still be in the white house so I can watch him get dragged out

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump finally conceded that he lost today. He still claims he was cheated, but he acknowledged that Biden is the winner.
    When did he concede this?
    Was it some random tweet?

Obviously. Hold on, I’ll link it and the text.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...56491056279552

Pretty sure that’s the first time he has said Biden won publicly.
    Thanks, I had just found it.

I really hate the "disputed" tag. It really needs to be "This is false." While it may also be true that we dispute them, we dispute them because they are objectively not true. We need to stop letting people pretend facts are subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    GOP beat him down... Their GA messaging was pretty tough, when Trump supporters think he won, while GOP is pushing the dire consequences of liberals controlling federal government.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Trump lost in an Electoral College result that he called a "landslide" when it fell in his favor in 2016, refuses to concede, claims that counting ballots is fraud (not literally, but that's what his tantrum amounts to). Right-wing pundits conveniently forget that media outlets call every election before the results are official, and use their lapse in memory as further evidence that there's a nationwide mainstream-media-driven conspiracy to delegitimize the election.
    Also he's mounted a pile of obviously spurious legal challenges and the daily news is him having case after case thrown out of court.

Meanwhile his campaign is begging for more money from his supporters, but the fine print reads that he can actually pocket it so this is pretty much a straight up scam. Moreso than usual, that is.

Oh and the scary part is that 70% of Republicans seem to buy into this nonsense and believe the election was illegitimate somehow. So while liberals are patting themselves on the back and firmly believing that The System Will Work... they're dramatically underestimating the real peril American democracy is in.

Even if the US makes it through the transition, right wing terrorism and lawlessness will only increase. Serious changes need to be made, and Biden will likely face an extremely inimical Senate - even if he wins both races in GA, he'll probably lose seats in the next midterm as most incumbents do. Possibly the House too. So we're looking at four years of paralysed government unable to deliver on its promises heading into a very ugly 2024.

Oh and meanwhile Coronavirus is completely out of control and exponentiating wildly. America is in uncharted waters, no country this size has so comprehensively failed to control their outbreaks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I really hate the "disputed" tag. It really needs to be "This is false." While it may also be true that we dispute them, we dispute them because they are objectively not true. We need to stop letting people pretend facts are subjective.
    We're relying on cynical corporations whose only motive is profit to control the flow of poisonous fascist propaganda designed to overthrow our democracy.

I've been reading up on the history of fascism. If there's one group in society who you absolutely, positively cannot count on to protect you from it, it's corporations.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean we're really clutching at straws if this is what we're counting as a concession. He's still claiming the election was rigged.

I mean it was, he rigged it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    They have to say disputed. If they claim the whole tweet is false, people will jump on the "Ah so Biden didn't win!!1!" train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean we're really clutching at straws if this is what we're counting as a concession. He's still claiming the election was rigged.

I mean it was, he rigged it...
    It's the closest we're ever going to get to a concession from him. He'll never be honest about it. He doesn't believe that he can lose.

He just got triggered after watching the news about him 'conceding' and recanted. He legit sounds like Garrosh from the War Crimes novel. So I'm assuming either Bush or Obama will cheat in a Mak'Gora using super powers and kill him in 2024. He'll then turn up in the 2036 elections when the 2032 candidate rips a hole above the Arctic and gives the Electoral College access to the Shadowlands. Damn you, Blizz. So much spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm sure the resident Trumpsters are outraged that the white supremacists were marching in the streets, and blocking traffic.
    Think of the property damage! We should start driving cars into crowds of them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    He legit sounds like Garrosh from the War Crimes novel.
    Yet somehow even worse written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

He walked it back already, saying he isn't conceding

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    It's becoming more and more apparent that those sorts don't want their viewpoints challenged with facts or opposing viewpoints and instead just want an echo chamber.
    The good news there, I suppose, is that it seems like it's mainly the more far-right, conspiracy-minded Republicans, which means the party base will become fragmented. While their ideology may become more dangerous as they become more insular and paranoid, it also somewhat leaves them stranded and minimizes their influence elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    At one point this will end and the Republican party is somewhat showing a rift. How likely is it that this might lead to another party being created? Because let's face it a narcissist doesn't just give up.

This is going to do quite a bit of damage in the faith of the government regardless. Are the democrats that poorly organized and disconnected from their base? Not sure how much i can go on Bill Maher's opinion that he finds the whole "PC-movement" makes people hesitant if not downright discourage of voting for them.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    'I didn't say it! I didn't concede! I won! I always won!'

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Why would he concede? The election was CLEARLY rigged. I mean, they have a guy who says he heard from a woman who says she heard from her best friend's dog groomer's third cousin twice removed's barber that a voter in PA only marked the oval for Biden 90% of the way full and it still got counted for Biden. The fix was in for sure.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    At one point this will end and the Republican party is somewhat showing a rift. How likely is it that this might lead to another party being created? Because let's face it a narcissist doesn't just give up.
    It's hard to tell how much of this is just political theater, but any fragmenting of the party base should ultimately hurt them, I would think. Especially considering that so many of Trump's supporters seem to be more interested in the theatrical aspects than the political aspects.

Faced with the decision to lean further right to court his supporters or stay the course and go for the middle, I think we will see some fracturing but not enough to split into multiple parties. Unless Trump himself thinks that's the solution.

I suppose it will depend on what happens with Trump after he leaves office. I think without Trump they don't really have a way to keep his supporters coming out to elections. It's very clear where they're interests lie right now, and that's engaging in wild conspiracy and mass delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    Why would he concede? The election was CLEARLY rigged. I mean, they have a guy who says he heard from a woman who says she heard from her best friend's dog groomer's third cousin twice removed's barber that a voter in PA only marked the oval for Biden 90% of the way full and it still got counted for Biden. The fix was in for sure.
    ....aaaaaannnnnddddd that's how you make the frogs gay!!!!