Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Blizzard could solve this problem, but it'd cost more money so they won't.
    How could they solve it?

Holy shit, I'd really like to see a video of those people coming here really claiming they play on a "high pop" server and have no (server!) lag when 200+ people on every layer start attacking. You don't even have to be close to the rare, the entirety of the zone is lagging during the fight.

If that is an issue worth fixing is a different question, though. It would require them to have spare ressources that are unneeded 95% of the time, and in the case of the preevent where rares become active at the same time across all servers and layers you cannot even dynamically shift ressources from one layer to another.

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    How could they solve it?
    Have more shards with fewer players in each one.

And to those saying this problem is client side, you are so wrong and ignorant on this subject. The lagg is real, the servers/shards/whatever cannot handle there being x amount of players in one spot Ion has spoke about the issue, it exists, he agreed with the example preach gave in his video once about servers having to calculate too much stuff at once.

The fact of the matter is, blizzard's servers or whatever it is they are using now are worse than they used to be. It's the same with classic, Private servers don't lag no where near as much when 2 40 man raids came head to head, just go watch some classic 40 v 40 and see what I mean.

Blizzard know of this issue but probably just don't care enough to fix it or have too much on their plate already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Holy shit, I'd really like to see a video of those people coming here really claiming they play on a "high pop" server and have no (server!) lag when 200+ people on every layer start attacking. You don't even have to be close to the rare, the entirety of the zone is lagging during the fight.
    Agreed, I swear some people just flat out lie or are really ignorant. Nazjatar was a prime example of this, when a raid group or 2 joined for the world boss, the whole zone goes fucked. Or when people join for the battle for nazjatar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Easyclassictopkeklel View Post
    The problem are not the servers, it is the game itself.
    I want to agree with this but it's hard, I think it's the layering system they use because the same lagg occurs in classic in big fights too. Or when you change layer/shard you have a second where the game sort of stops as it switches.

5+ Year Old Account
    Fucking liars that don’t get lag.

I run at Max settings so the only lag I get is input lag when a shit load of people gather to kill the rares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    What does your processor, ram, and ssd have to do with server lag? Did you even read the title of the thread?

Not a liar. I have to admit, on different servers, you have different experiences, it's really weird.
    RP servers have no sharding, hence they laag insanely much, but even between two normal servers, there seems to be slight difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    "Real" MMORPG means not having the lionshare of your content be singleplayer. Pretty objective, no?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    Actually it depends on the time of day.
    Mentioning your PC specs isn't helping the situation at all, as PC specs don't affect game/server lag from hundreds of players suddenly activating abilities all at once.
    If it's during primetime (i.e. around 4pm to 8pm central US time) then there will be lag. Otherwise, the lag is hardly present. That timeframe is primetime for an obvious reason that I don't think I need to specify and I am sure OP just only gets to do it during that time.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post
    upgrade ypur ram and your graphic card. i have a 3 year old comp running on a nvidia geforce 1050 and have 16 gig of ram and have no problem running graph on ultra and no lag
    How the hell will getting new RAM and GFX card help on server lag? Please do tell
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Fucking liars that don’t get lag.

I run at Max settings so the only lag I get is input lag when a shit load of people gather to kill the rares.
    I'm wondering if maybe it's an add-on, like maybe Recount, Skada or details. I have a 3700x, with a 5700XT and 32GB of ram on a 400/20 connection. And the only time I get the insane lag is around 7-10PM EST when there are tons of people around. So if folks are claiming to get zero lag when there is a horde of folks around, maybe it's possible the problem is in between the System and the servers

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    How the hell will getting new RAM and GFX card help on server lag? Please do tell
    Well, the RAM helps.

If it is on a machine in the server cluster, though

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post
    upgrade ypur ram and your graphic card. i have a 3 year old comp running on a nvidia geforce 1050 and have 16 gig of ram and have no problem running graph on ultra and no lag
    It is beyond me how many people answer to this thread that do not even bother to read the first post. Holy smokes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

If that is an issue worth fixing is a different question, though. It would require them to have spare ressources that are unneeded 95% of the time, and in the case of the preevent where rares become active at the same time across all servers and layers you cannot even dynamically shift ressources from one layer to another.
    To be fair, the issue also arrises during other occasions, e.g. Korraks Revenge, Nazjatar PVP events or Drustvar in general (for apparently no reason), so IMO it's something that HAS to be looked into.

Before you account all of that to bad hardware again, try googling e.g. "Drustvar lag" and see for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Actually it depends on the time of day.
    Mentioning your PC specs isn't helping the situation at all, as PC specs don't affect game/server lag from hundreds of players suddenly activating abilities all at once.
    If it's during primetime (i.e. around 4pm to 8pm central US time) then there will be lag. Otherwise, the lag is hardly present. That timeframe is primetime for an obvious reason that I don't think I need to specify and I am sure OP just only gets to do it during that time.
    I already confirmed what you wrote in another post, but it's hard to keep track, so yes: when there are only like 10-20 people with me its not a problem (e.g. midnight during a working day), but e.g. between 17:00 and 22:00 local time it's impossible to do anything.

I was getting a lot of input lag / server lag until i disabled the option "Optimize Network for Speed" in advanced system options and it mostly went away (especially in Korrak's revenge).

Anybody who says there is no world lag hasn't seen 80man raid groups get ported out of major cities for fear of crashing servers

Happened twice a month to asmongold all bfa

Thrall-EU The server regularly melts at Icecrown rares, especially at Bronjahm and Skadi.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I was getting a lot of input lag / server lag until i disabled the option "Optimize Network for Speed" in advanced system options and it mostly went away (especially in Korrak's revenge).
    It's in "Network" not "Advanced" but thank you, I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

And the amount of people not being able to distinguish fps issues from lag is embarrassingly high here.

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Thrall-EU The server regularly melts at Icecrown rares, especially at Bronjahm and Skadi.

It's in "Network" not "Advanced" but thank you, I'll give it a try and see if it helps.

And the amount of people not being able to distinguish fps issues from lag is embarrassingly high here.
    oh i get 8 second input delays while at 144fps lul

This thread is proof of how illiterate some players are when it comes to computer and networking-knowledge.

Hopefully someone learned something new from reading through.

This does actually seem to help quite a bit, thank you.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    This is an ongoing issue for nearly the whole lifespan of the game now, but it feels like it got even worse in BfA.
    Look at the pre expansion event: Each time one of the rares spawn there are like 100 players around and it gets impossible to actually use abilities simply because of lag (lag, not fps issues, don't mix that up). Everyone is just running on place without actually moving, the rares teleport sometimes from place to place and bag and then they die without actually doing anything.

Like this just feels SO bad. Either fundamentally improve the structure of the game so that events like this can be handled or create those events in another way (Scenarios perhaps?)
    Its a bit unfair, because the game is really old, but during those events you really FEEL how old it is.
    I'm on a "FULL" server, and yeah it's nowhere near this bad. I've killed dozens of the rares (and have more stupid tokens than I could ever use). I often log out and then log in at the rare spawn point, even, 2-3 minutes before spawn (sometimes less), and out of all the dozens of ICC rares, the only one I didn't get credit on or anything was the second one I tried, and it was because it leaped behind me, and I couldn't see it under all that was on my screen, so wasn't actually attacking it.

I get that you want it to be lag, not FPS, but I'd really like to see the FPS counter on your screen when this is happening. And yeah, I know the difference - better than 99.9% of people here, actually, having played online games since before there were 3D cards, let alone consumer broadband.

I see people trying to pretend that others don't know the difference between lag and FPS, but sorry, I've been on the internet since the early '90s mate, and the number of people who claim "lag" when their issues are WAY bigger than that is gigantic.

This seems like a useful thing to try if troubleshooting the issue.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-11-15 at 09:19 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I see people trying to pretend that others don't know the difference between lag and FPS, but sorry, I've been on the internet since the early '90s mate, and the number of people who claim "lag" when their issues are WAY bigger than that is gigantic.
    I am lecturing people in this thread the whole about it myself. I'm an IT professional myself (not an expert for infrastructure tho) and believe me, I know what I am talking about when I talk about the difference between FPS issues and lag. Yes, of, if there are 100 people around and everyone spams abilities, I'm not playing at 120FPS, but 50-60 is normal even then.

Low FPS =/= Lag
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.