Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    When was the last time you were at university? STEM is basically all they offer anymore. There is for sure less focus on scientific endeavors that dont provide assured or quick returns on investment.

Existed before the cuts but was really put into practice by reagan and continued lovingly ever since. though Reagan liked nasa and gave it the only bump in its budget since the moon landing.

I would be inclined to believe you and say that was the sole reason if government agencies that arent involved with war and law enforcement werent also falling to bits.
    But war and law enforcement have not changed what has is that you have more information about how things are run.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    This year astronauts have become all the rage in pop culture.
    And you started a thread wondering at why "The Expanse" failed to gain a large audience...
    Has Elon Musk and SpaceX ignited a renewed interest in space?
    In these dark times should people dare to dream of an interstellar future?
    And then you started this thread a few weeks ago;
    What is up with this explosion of astronaut themed shows
    ---
    At this point I wonder wtf is wrong with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Next 2-3 decades will be very exciting for sure.

Sure we won't be going full Star Trek anyday soon, but Moon Settlement and maybe even Mars settlement in next 30-50 years or so seems on the books with people to push it.
    I think we will never go full Star Trek. Why? It's not efficient to send Humans to deep space when you can send robots Maybe eventually where corporations and wealthy individuals will plan out exploration ships for the "thrill".
    -K

Flint still doesnt have clean water, public infrastructure is falling apart all across the country.

Not sure what me having more information about war and law enforcement has to do with the fact other government agencies are crumbling and infrastructure is falling apart. I think I forgot a comma.
    So you don't understand how local government works? I can only assume so because you are talking about Flint which is due to failures of local government. This is a more complex and nuanced topic that you don't seem to grasp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    I think we will never go full Star Trek. Why? It's not efficient to send Humans to deep space when you can send robots Maybe eventually where corporations and wealthy individuals will plan out exploration ships for the "thrill".
    Who knows what will happen.

I won't live to know, but I'm sure humanity will eventually figure out the optimal path to whatever destination we might map.

Things like colony ships to distant planets within Solar System several hundreds or several thousands of years down the road don't seem too far fetched to me. Even if the journey itself will take many years just within Solar System scope for something like a colony ship.

I'm also pretty sure that humanity will be able to stay confined to Earth only for so long. It's not limitless resources here, how much more can it be sustained at this rate 300 years, 500 years, 1000 years?

But hey it's all outside the scope of this thread for sure. Certainly not a concern for anyone here, I'd be glad to live long enough for humanity to have actual viable settlement on Moon that's not just a scientific outpost with ~5 blokes in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Who knows what will happen.

I won't live to know, but I'm sure humanity will eventually figure out the optimal path to whatever destination we might map.

I'm also pretty sure that humanity will be able to stay confined to Earth only for so long. It's not limitless resources here, how much more can it be sustained at this rate 300 years, 500 years, 1000 years?
    I think once we start capturing asteroids around Jupiter > Mars we will bring a ton of resources and the space economy will boom. Who knows, both Elon and Bezos have good mentality. Bezos preserving and solidifying Earth/Moon and Musk really going deep into exploration, we need both mentalities.
    -K

This is crazy. We haven't seen anything like this since the 60s. Back in 2013 and 2014 there was nothing on TV with space travel in it.
    Cherry picking 2 years doesn't go a long way to prove your point...especially when there were shows on TV with Space Travel during those 2 years. The only reason there aren't more space shows is because they typically have a higher production cost than your average Police Procedural does.

There's nothing "crazy" about there being space shows on now.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We are in an economic depression, so I suspect this will die with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

One tragic accident...that's all it takes.

It's more likely that since some asian countries have started to aim for some prestige projects in space, other countries might fear that they could be left behind. Well maybe, I personally think this is more down to publicity. It's not like the US, Europe, Asia ever stopped being interested in space, they just shifted focus to projects that were A.) Feasible and B.) Less showy. For the US budget was a big concern, which is why they stopped their shuttle programm and relied on hitching rides from others iirc. The ISS has been the primary focus for a while now, but that is grunt-work research, not fancy TeD talks and investor bullshitting which Musk engages in. If anything, the major players involved in space exploration have continously improved upon the foundations in the last decades to make most of the stuff today even possible.

Normally countries would never engage in pipe dreams like Mars colonization in any real commited capacity with unrealistic time frames like "next decade", mostly because sending people to their certain timely death is bad for publicity and unbecomming of most civilized nations, certainly if you have nothing to show for it. The reality is that colonizing Mars is at best a project that may lead to benefits way down the line. It's not like there are vast supplies of scarce resources just lying around on Mars that you could capitalize on. Anything of worth needs to be extracted first and then brought back into orbit first, that is true for both directions, which makes getting resources insanely economically non-viable. Other than bragging rights and some entries for the history books like "the x people settled this planet before we rebelled and became our own independed nation 100 years later" there isn't much to gain. We are at least decades away from anything that could be called terraforming, probably hundrets if we are honest. To do anything on Mars we need to supply them constantly, which in turn involves massively wasting resources here on earth. The conditions on mars are far from ideal for us and anyone who thinks it's better to fuck about another planet instead of trying to save the one with ideal living contions is just delusional.

Musk's achievments - the actual ones, not just his pot induced day-dreaming about "cheap" rocket travel in 10 minute intervalls for everyone at the price of a plane ticket - have yet to show if they are even viable. Even if he can land a rocket on a dime with absolute certainty, the very nature of rockets makes it hightly questionable if any of these parts can ever be savely reused. In the end his biggest achievment might be less junk at the bottom of the sea - laudable, but not much closer to actually making space flight orders of magnitude cheaper. At the end of the day space flight, like most cutting edge technologies, are fighting against the physical limitations of nature. Getting something from one energy level to another requires the gap to be filled with the missing energy, I personally doubt it will ever be cheap to send things into orbit and beyond. Casually zipping around the solar system to harvest some rocks from the asteroid belt might simply never be profitable, at least during any of our lifetimes. I absolutely think we should try to increase our understanding and advance, but I wouldn't advise to dream about us becoming a space faring civilization any time soon, that jump will most likely only occur if we are forced to do it while with our backs the wall, as there is no reason to do it otherwise. In the same vein the new space age will only last as long as flashy results can be produced and people aren't tired yet hearing about minute improvements (while pretending nothing else happened at all in the meantime).

Given the stark reminder that we can be brought low as a society by some run-away genetic code that didn't even manage to make the jump to life form and the socio-economic consequences of that, yeah I'm not optimistic that the interest will last all that long.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Why dont I understand how local government works? Is Michigan's local government free from neoliberalism?

It's really not a failure of just local government, the rich have pillaged America and at the bottom things are falling apart. Do you think the rich werent living in decadence as empires crumbled around them?

I dont know why you're so resistant in acknowledging that neoliberalism has played a huge role in why America is falling apart? Sure there is more nuance but it doesnt make me wrong, you just dont seem to have understood my point and just kneejerked to defend neoliberalism.

Basically you have 2 parties both embrace neoliberalism and free markets to a degree. You have no parties willing socialize shit, no parties willing to improve public interests unless it is in their own interest. Societal ills are left to the free market to solve, and wow is it bad at solving problems if you dont have money, which oddly enough has been trickling up while wages stagnate and fall behind inflation.
    Because the problems in the US cannot be pointed to just one word it is an idiotic explanation for the simple minded. There are a lot of factors involved you can feel free to blame one thing if it makes you feel better.

That's not what I was doing at all... that's literally just how you've chosen to attack me. I've said multiple times that it's obviously more complicated than that. But the fact you've chosen this hill to plant a flag on, means that criticizing neoliberalism has struck a nerve.

It's a pretty big factor one that shouldn't be ignored and is very relevant to what is happening here.

You dont have anything to say except to say I dont understand things, do you have an actual point to make or are you just mindlessly defending neoliberalism?
    It's not a big factor not as much as you make it out to be, I don't care for Neo liberalism or republican lite for democrats as I refer to it but it's not as big of a factor as money in politics or flaws in the constitution or the problems with the establishment. Again feel free to scream neo liberalism until the cows come home as a "big" factor, you seem to have a bone to pick with it so whatever makes you feel better.

Wow look how far you've come, we started with you asserting that i didn't know what it was, but now you agree it's a factor. Heck yeah that's some progress.

If you put a little effort in you can see how those things aren't necessarily unrelated too ;D

I think this conversation has been more about you feeling better, im mostly just defending myself.
    Nah it's been a mildly amusing conversation if I need to feel better there's books and running, I just baffled by people who mistake a tree for the forrest.

Every CmdrShep thread is exactly the same.

So in order to amuse yourself, you make up what you think absurd claims about other people as person so that you can be baffled by people who mistake a tree for a forest?

Meanwhile you slowly backpedal your argument to something that's definitely not related to what you started out arguing.

Ay at least you learned something
    ROFLMAO okay if you want to be serious there is a basic flaw in your premise it assumes that politicians are driven by some sort of principle they aren't. The only driving force for most politicians in the US is their need to stay in power aka office change the rules of that which is money and the ideology changes with what allows them to keep their jobs. So although your neo liberalism bit may play a .0001% part, I can bet you anything if the US does campaign finance reform in a way that gives power to the populace their so called "principles" will fly out the door.

If I were to simplify the subject to one word as you have mine would be money which is the biggest factor though not the only one. So you see we will never agree now feel free to keep yelling NEOLIBERALISM to the rooftops.

Greed and altruism never mesh well.
    All anyone has to do is look at the covid19 issue to see that as a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep and if you look into their warehouses and factories, those are the living conditions we can expect. Hope you enjoy paying Bezos bucks so you can piss.
    Haha true, I mean it's not ideal and disgusting but on the other hand it may benefit us greatly by establishing local planetary bases/science outposts and economy.
    -K

no republicans defunded nasa during obama, and then let trump spend crazy on whatever he wanted, and he enriched some of his friends that suck his ego like elon, and nasa will go back to being defunded by mitch mcconell in 2021, because they will deeply care about the national debt- and they will claim " Bidens why america dosent go to space anymore!"
    and rubes like you who made this thread will by it because you dont understand how politics is effecting these things

One possible type of new space age to come from this is one where corporations explore, or rather exploit space. And while I love space, I have some mixed feelings about letting corporations lead the way.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Answering the main question of the thread: yes, revived.
    And to the second question: yes, too, we are on the verge of a new space age.
    I would even say in the midst of it. Big and advertised players were followed by less advertised ones, and at the moment almost every developed country has its own space companies.
    I think all this will give us many new opportunities and a big technological revolution before the end of the 21st century.