Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Blizzard is a multi-dollar corporation.

eu-aegwynn player here with a constant ping of 20-30 ms (german player on a german server), a 3800x (fclk 1833mhz), gtx1080ti (>2ghz) and 32gb ram at cl16@3666mhz (just posting this before some genius tries to claim it's my "potato"). also 100/40mbit connection, 20-30 ms ping. fps are firguratively hard locked to 60 without ANY dips below 57. we are not talking about fps in this thread!

this entire network delay schtick started exactly with the bfa prepatch (and a first attempt at that network change was applied with the legion invasion patch, but was reverted after less than a month due to constant complaints on the forums, but i'm disregarding this incident) and only less than 1% took notice of this. it was a subtle increase of maybe 200ms or something in casual scenarios, but multiple seconds in heavily crowded ones, e.g. world bosses.

not sure if this is specifically a result of servers being downgraded,
    or if the netcode was changed,
    or sharding throwing you around the world without telling you your actual ping,
    or simply the game calculations becoming multiple times more complicated.
    fact is, running content with more than 20 people became a shitshow eversince and blizzard refuses to acknowledge even the existance of this issue.
    Last edited by Flaim; 2020-11-16 at 11:56 AM.

Something changed between WoD and Legion. You can’t have 50-60 active players without the game starting to actively lag. Icecrown events were unplayable early because of this. Also the 40-man battlegrounds are a lagfest, I tried to complete the vanilla AV event, it is literally unplayable, at best a second and a half between a pressed button and an action. This is sad.

Doesn't matter if you're on NA or EU there will be lag depending on what realm/phase you get tossed into. I have had no problems so far, there might have been one rare that I lagged on. But nothing like you described.

Seems like its very irregular. Sometimes I get no lag during rares and sometimes I don't.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    The servers habe been lagging when there are large groups of players since Legion. Even though PvP scaling has been removed in SL prepatch, the situation hasn't improved much. The severs still can't handle ~60-80 or more players simultaneously. Those who are saying "It must be a you problem" are simply irgnorant or lying/trolling. Me and my friends all play on high-end gaming PCs with varying internet connections from 1mbit/s to 1gbit/s and the servers fail for all of us in said situations.
    Last edited by Beatman; 2020-11-16 at 12:32 PM.

Tried to do the classic AV during free weekend. I wondered why there is such a long queue for event during free weekend. Friends said it lags and has same reward as last year.
    It did lag insanely much, maybe 3-5 seconds for each cast. Completely unplayable, so I quit after 5 minutes.

It's not even a world event but an instanced area with limited players.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    It's causing server lags. Your PC specs have nothing to do with this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Holy shit, I'd really like to see a video of those people coming here really claiming they play on a "high pop" server and have no (server!) lag when 200+ people on every layer start attacking. You don't even have to be close to the rare, the entirety of the zone is lagging during the fight.

If that is an issue worth fixing is a different question, though. It would require them to have spare ressources that are unneeded 95% of the time, and in the case of the preevent where rares become active at the same time across all servers and layers you cannot even dynamically shift ressources from one layer to another.
    The solution would be just not to design the game like this. Running around and killing rares in a 20min spawntimer is just boring anyways, they can do better

I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    Agreed. 8700k, GTX 1070SC, 24gb ram, with and SSD and with the hundred or so on a rare my frames dip to 90-100 no lag and a consistent 22ping.

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    Yeah I also experienced it.

Lag and FPS-drops are a different thing by the way, it doesnt seem like many know the difference judging the first reply.
    Lag also isnt entirly down to the servers, you can have a monster server but if your internet is shit youre still gonna have lag in high pop areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    It's causing server lags. Your PC specs have nothing to do with this

- - - Updated - - -

The solution would be just not to design the game like this. Running around and killing rares in a 20min spawntimer is just boring anyways, they can do better
    Its not server lag or every one would experiance it, and there not, this is shitty internet nothing more.

On Arthas and Zuljin I've experienced none of this. ZJ is pretty large pop and usually involves ton of people's at the rares. Perhaps it's down to only select server blades but from my sample I haven't noticed this really since the days of WoD and Magtheridon kills on Tuesday reset.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Agreed. 8700k, GTX 1070SC, 24gb ram, with and SSD and with the hundred or so on a rare my frames dip to 90-100 no lag and a consistent 22ping.
    This. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Your. Fucking. Specs

I have a cpu alone that costs more than your whole gaming rig and 300mbit fiber connection and I am close to the EU servers irl... and yet I experience input lag when 200 people at the same time try to kill a rare in icecrown. Everyone has the same issue.

So far no video proof exists of players having a lag free experience of killing a rare in icecrown on a high pop server with a shitload of people around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Lag also isnt entirly down to the servers, you can have a monster server but if your internet is shit youre still gonna have lag in high pop areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not server lag or every one would experiance it, and there not, this is shitty internet nothing more.
    *facepalm*

A bad internet connection lags completely differently, you know that? I always have a tiny ping during these lags top, so please explain that you genius
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-11-16 at 01:05 PM.

I dunno what OP is talking about, the only time i experienced anything like that is on other games. Maybe get a better pc or stop trying to play WoW in 4k?

It IS a blizzard problem because i experience a shitton of lags. Might be because you are on a kinda dead shard or whatever. It has NOTHING to do with the Hardware.

10980XE, RTX Titan, 64GB 4000MHz RAM and some Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe's and Gigabit internet.
    As you can see, it is not a "me" problem.

And i guess you mean FPS Drops, there are none really. But there are huge lags, like 10 Sec delays on casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post

- - - Updated - - -

A bad internet connection would cause lag everywhere the player goes, OP is referring to zones where world-events occur.

The difference is the game can be fluid and MS can be good until you go to an overcrowded area where server-lag settles in.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    I dunno what OP is talking about, the only time i experienced anything like that is on other games. Maybe get a better pc or stop trying to play WoW in 4k?
    you press a button, e.g. blink or charge.
    button lights up.
    5 seconds pass with nothing happening.
    now you're actually blinking/charging.
    meanwhile your entire setup runs at 60-100fps and your ping is around 30 ms. (edit: 100/40 line with nobody but me being connected and the traffic being tracked in the router directly)
    how is this your pc or network connection?
    Last edited by Flaim; 2020-11-16 at 05:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    This is an ongoing issue for nearly the whole lifespan of the game now, but it feels like it got even worse in BfA.
    Look at the pre expansion event: Each time one of the rares spawn there are like 100 players around and it gets impossible to actually use abilities simply because of lag (lag, not fps issues, don't mix that up). Everyone is just running on place without actually moving, the rares teleport sometimes from place to place and bag and then they die without actually doing anything.

Like this just feels SO bad. Either fundamentally improve the structure of the game so that events like this can be handled or create those events in another way (Scenarios perhaps?)
    Its a bit unfair, because the game is really old, but during those events you really FEEL how old it is.
    I've never had these issues consistently, I get FPS lag because I play on a shitty laptop but I can still do everything just fine in it, even on patch launches and such. Occasionally I have small sputters of this kind of thing but its like 1-2 seconds and pretty rare.

Just out of curiosity, have you done any testing on your own connection? Or do you just have "good internet" so you assume it isn't your connection falling behind? It sounds like it's an incredibly easy thing to recreate, which means you can test stuff pretty easily.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I've never had these issues consistently, I get FPS lag because I play on a shitty laptop but I can still do everything just fine in it, even on patch launches and such. Occasionally I have small sputters of this kind of thing but its like 1-2 seconds and pretty rare.

Just out of curiosity, have you done any testing on your own connection? Or do you just have "good internet" so you assume it isn't your connection falling behind? It sounds like it's an incredibly easy thing to recreate, which means you can test stuff pretty easily.
    Seriously, do you guys ever read before you post? IT'S NOT ABOUT FPS LAG!!! Op even states so right in his comment!!!

When tons of other people in chat of your shard complains about the same thing it is not user side but client side, aka server lag. It is a Blizzard issue, nothing else.
    Last edited by Pakheth; 2020-11-16 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roship View Post
    I havent had any issues killing rares with hundreds of people around. No kind of lagging with movement or abilities. No fps drops either. Might be on your end.
    The first few days last week the events were lagging for mostly everyone on Area 52 so there was something going on.

This thread has solidified the fact that most people only read the title before they go click the reply-button.

We came to the conclusion that OP experiences server-lag on the first page already, and people still talk about PC's and internet connections...