Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Don't wanted to bring this up, but yes, as an IT professional myself, I made sure its not my personal internet connection
    Cool, glad you didn't do what most people do and just rage at Blizzard about things they don't really understand or haven't fully explored, jumping to conclusions is never a good thing.

This is an ongoing issue for nearly the whole lifespan of the game now, but it feels like it got even worse in BfA.
    Look at the pre expansion event: Each time one of the rares spawn there are like 100 players around and it gets impossible to actually use abilities simply because of lag (lag, not fps issues, don't mix that up). Everyone is just running on place without actually moving, the rares teleport sometimes from place to place and bag and then they die without actually doing anything.

Like this just feels SO bad. Either fundamentally improve the structure of the game so that events like this can be handled or create those events in another way (Scenarios perhaps?)
    Its a bit unfair, because the game is really old, but during those events you really FEEL how old it is.
    This problem started, when CRZ was implemented. Since that moment we no longer have "physical" servers - only virtual ones. And Blizzard try to fill them as much, as possible, in order to make server support cheaper. Simple example. Number aren't real. In the past we had 10 servers with 10 players on each. Blizzard decided, that it wasn't effective. And they packed all 100 players to just 1 shard. 90% economy, you know. And now only Blizzard decide, what amount of players to every shard. Players no longer have choice to play on less overcrowded server. And Blizzard constantly choose to overload their servers instead of providing enjoyable experience. For example 8.3 had constant problems with lags in locations with world boss. Up to 5000ms lags (not ping, ping is ok, 45ms - server response time).

And, I guess, only old xpack servers can fix this problem. Can't wait for WotLK and WOD Classic servers. Yeah, WOD already had CRZ in low level locations. But at least not in endgame ones.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakheth View Post
    Most of the the time I actually do got through most of the pages because then I avoid sounding stupid if it has been mentioned already. And if I don't read every page I at least check the last few just to see what the conversation has evolved into which usually indicates if the original queery has been answered already or not. Saves me a lot of trouble.
    Yeah, funny story, the only reason my post caused me any trouble is because you misread my original post, then did some weird forum elitist thing about relevant information and all that when I called you out on it. If you actually read my post properly and didn't respond because it wasn't even addressed to you, then the OP would have responded like he did, I would have responded like I did, and we both would have gone our ways, no trouble involved. My way of doing things saves me a lot of trouble, and time, as well, unless people who can't read show up I guess, but that doesn't happen often thankfully.

Also, not everyone treats forums like debate class, some of us just try to have natural conversations with the person who started the thread and is actually looking for answers/responses, and don't feel like spending time wading through 50+ posts of hit or miss shite.

Edit: For everybody who still does not understand what is going on, I have created the following video:
    As you can see, my FPS are fairly ok (around 50-60 FPS at this place, even with the big number of players around as well the fact that I am recording my screen at the same time).
    You will also see that my FPS stay this way for almost the whole fight, but when you look at my ability bar you will see how my abilities get pressed but don't actually get exectured. You can see other players talk about this exact issue in /say in German during the fight.
    Then suddenly close to the end my whole screen freezes. This was new, I never had this before and it was not something I initially talked about, but also here you can see players talk about it right after the kill is done in /s.
    After checking with around 20 of them, it seems like every single player on this kill was affected by this, not just me.

Why drive your car on the highway if it might break down?

Because it isn't necessarily obvious that driving it on the highway will lead to it breaking down. You drove it on the test track after all and did everything you could to simulate highway conditions, but you never know until you know.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

The right question is: Why a subscription-based game still can't handle virtually anything, from a simple patch to killing a world boss?

snip]
    Nah dude thats fake news, video is edited / photoshopped I can tell by the pixels.

Granted its a non-issue in the way that its so crowded you only need to tag the rares, its not fun gameplay to lag like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Why drive your car on the highway if it might break down?

Because it isn't necessarily obvious that driving it on the highway will lead to it breaking down. You drove it on the test track after all and did everything you could to simulate highway conditions, but you never know until you know.
    Cars are designed for the highway & vice versa. Blizzard design the highway (with the best tools they have available) & the sort of traffic that travels across it, but the two simply don't belong together.

Server-side latency is the single most frustrating thing in any online game.

Edit: For everybody who still does not understand what is going on, I have created the following video:
    As you can see, my FPS are fairly ok (around 50-60 FPS at this place, even with the big number of players around as well the fact that I am recording my screen at the same time).
    You will also see that my FPS stay this way for almost the whole fight, but when you look at my ability bar you will see how my abilities get pressed but don't actually get exectured. You can see other players talk about this exact issue in /say in German during the fight.
    Then suddenly close to the end my whole screen freezes. This was new, I never had this before and it was not something I initially talked about, but also here you can see players talk about it right after the kill is done in /s.
    After checking with around 20 of them, it seems like every single player on this kill was affected by this, not just me.

I also wanted to record such video for leveling location, that had around 500-1000ms lag a week ago, but missed that opportunity, because there were no lags next day. Guys in other thread refused to believe, that Wow can have such lags due to overcrowding. What I want to suggest - to open latency tab in Recount, while recording your video, otherwise this guys will tell you, that it's not Blizzards' fault - you just have bad Internet.

Blizzard say, that they want you to feel, that many players play this game, but truth is pretty simple - they've sold their servers to buy new yacht for Bobby.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Don't wanted to bring this up, but yes, as an IT professional myself, I made sure its not my personal internet connection
    Have you tried turning off the "Optimize for network speed" option in the network tab of the options menu in WoW? It pretty much completely fixed my lag issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Have you tried turning off the "Optimize for network speed" option in the network tab of the options menu in WoW? It pretty much completely fixed my lag issues.
    Yes, I tried this prior to recording the video. If all it feels like turning off that option made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    you press a button, e.g. blink or charge.
    button lights up.
    5 seconds pass with nothing happening.
    now you're actually blinking/charging.
    meanwhile your entire setup runs at 60-100fps and your ping is around 30 ms.
    how is this your pc or network connection?
    I play on 5mb/s internet speeds, and have yet to have that problem unless steam or windows is pulling a sneaky download on me.

It is fixable by changing their datacenter hardware but that will probably cost in the hundreds of millions of USD, highly unlikely they are willing to spend that much.

A simpler fix would be to just lower the number of players allowed on a shard/virtual machine but that would probably break their MMO experience since you would only see 10-20 people around you.

Just to be clear: when I go there on midnight on a working day and there are only like 10 people around its not am issue at all. But those events are designed to attrackt much more people during prime play time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much, I am happy that at least some people 1) understand the difference between FPS issues and lag and 2) at least acknowledge there might be an issue, even if they are not affected themselves.
    Completely understand what you're saying OP. I've seen the same thing happen from time to time, especially during peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    There's always that one idiot that either doesn't understand or decides to just deny it for the sake of denying it.

Either way, thanks for chiming in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I tried this prior to recording the video. If all it feels like turning off that option made it worse.
    It does because it communicates less with the server then with enabled.

But yea it is crap, same as those world bosses in nzoth area's. Game just can't handle it.
    People that have no lag are probs on a empty server or doing some random (not popular) rare.
    Blizzard just has some crap hardware for WoW it seems.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    This. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Your. Fucking. Specs

I have a cpu alone that costs more than your whole gaming rig and 300mbit fiber connection and I am close to the EU servers irl... and yet I experience input lag when 200 people at the same time try to kill a rare in icecrown. Everyone has the same issue.

So far no video proof exists of players having a lag free experience of killing a rare in icecrown on a high pop server with a shitload of people around.

- - - Updated - - -

*facepalm*

A bad internet connection lags completely differently, you know that? I always have a tiny ping during these lags top, so please explain that you genius
    there more involved in internet comunications than the ping (speed of the transmission), a good thing to try is updating your network card drivers, bet you probly have never ever done that in the life of your PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    A bad internet connection would cause lag everywhere the player goes, OP is referring to zones where world-events occur.

The difference is the game can be fluid and MS can be good until you go to an overcrowded area where server-lag settles in.
    no it wouldn't. it dosn't need to be bad just insufficent.

i will try to explain this in a way a baby can understand.

the internet works on packets, like the post service, each packet contains some of the data your PC either requests or the Host requests from your PC,

this is a packet

dont worry you dont need to know much about it just imagine it as a magice envelope with an adress to and from and some info in it.
    it can take many many packets to transmit a whole thing, and the more things needed to transmit or the larger size the more packets are needed.

everything you see in wow is transmitted to your PC from the server over the net, the more you need to see, the players, what animations are they doing, what are they casting, are they targeting you e.t.c all that info your client needs to display that to you + everything your trying to tell the server and all the other players, that requires more packets.

now knowing that it should be obvious that the more people there are the more strain there is on your network to get all thos epackets to you and your packets to the server.

but wait theres more, it would be crazy insecure to just send that info open over the net, theres people watching and waiting to get that data or replace that data with malware, also to send it raw would require huge packets so it needs compressing... so what do... well theres layers between the net and the data in a format wow or your software can use.

this is an example of the layers a transmition goes through, notice how much gets done befor a packet is even sent or befor one recived even reaches your wow client.... well thats all latency added outside things measured by ping and that latency can be affected by a bunch of things like outdated drivers or simply not being a very good network card, after all its fine having 1g internet but if your card cannot process that rate then its like having a motorway all funneling into a dirt road.

so to cut it short, this shit isnt simple stop making uneducated speculation to fit an agenda, leave the uneducated small hands outrage to trump.

for those wanting to have a mess around with diagnostics
    https://us-looking-glass.battle.net

also....if you dont understand the output from it, you probly shouldnt be making comments in this thread.
    Last edited by Monster Hunter; 2020-11-16 at 06:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Yeah, funny story, the only reason my post caused me any trouble is because you misread my original post, then did some weird forum elitist thing about relevant information and all that when I called you out on it. If you actually read my post properly and didn't respond because it wasn't even addressed to you, then the OP would have responded like he did, I would have responded like I did, and we both would have gone our ways, no trouble involved. My way of doing things saves me a lot of trouble, and time, as well, unless people who can't read show up I guess, but that doesn't happen often thankfully.

Also, not everyone treats forums like debate class, some of us just try to have natural conversations with the person who started the thread and is actually looking for answers/responses, and don't feel like spending time wading through 50+ posts of hit or miss shite.
    I honestly cannot reads your original post without seeing it as another mention of FPS lag which wasn't relevant and was again and again repeated by those who didn't know the difference in this thread, which after 8+ pages got very tiresome(since I actually read them). I'm not a native English speaker so don't know if that has something to do with it or not, but intention has a tendency to lose clarity over the web anyways in my experience. But yeah, perhaps I was a bit crass, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Are you talking about the BfA pre-expansion event or the Shadowlands pre-expansion event? I had no problem with the BfA pre-expansion event at all. Nazjatar only lagged for me when I was joining shards with multiple 40-man raid groups on it. Aside from Bronjahm, I haven't had any issues in the Shadowlands event. Compare that to classic, where the world servers crashed during the opening of AQ, I would say things have improved over WoW's lifespan.
    I am talking about the Shadowlands pre-expansion event, I am talking about the whole of 8.2, I am talking about Korraks Revenge last year and this year and I am talking about Drustvar for random intervals during the whole of BfA that nobody really has an explanation for, as well as countless other occasions that involve more than a handful of players around.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    If you're having problems with world events, I'd recommend 1) not joining large groups
    What you are suggestion it not do to content with many people that is specifically designed to be played with many people. I understand that this would solve my problem in some cases, but as a solution to the general problem this is not really acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    @Accendor

I see you are having a hard time with the MMO-C community (>_<)

I watch swifty and asmongold and on BOTH streams there is a running joke about Blizzard servers being bad at handling a lot of people.
    But ofc
    This is a "you problem"
    It's hilarious considering they both have nearly top end hardware and live in an area where there is top-end internet. If they are having problems then imagine the rest of us plebians. if people don't think Blizzard's servers have problems then they simply don't play the game.