Poll: How old is too old for gaming?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    well, that's how reality pans out for most people. You'll get your ass kicked by your parents and told to make something of your life, usually. I can understand maybe seeing movies once in a while but video games are as a hobby no longer make sense over 18 unless you're studying to make money off making games or being an internet personality.
    I take it you must be under 17 then? Because you consistently seem to speak with the naivety of a child about life and the world.

well, that's how reality pans out for most people. You'll get your ass kicked by your parents and told to make something of your life, usually. I can understand maybe seeing movies once in a while but video games are as a hobby no longer make sense over 18 unless you're studying to make money off making games or being an internet personality.
    No it isn't

Adults have Hobbies. The time one person spends watching Football is time another person can spend playing a videogame.

Quote Originally Posted by rmfAcc View Post
    80+

But only because you might be at risk for having dementia.
    gaming has been shown in multiple studies to help slow down the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's, because of how it engages the brain. its not a panacea, obviously, but its helpful so stopping gaming is actualy NOT beneficial unless you are experiencing negative side effects like addiction.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/prevent...gnitive-370690

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...s-boost-memory

so the answer to the OP is - you are never too old. there is no age limit on hobbies. and yes. well adjusted adults engage in various hobbies. occasionally those hobbies include gaming. the idea that the only worthy pursuit is the one that makes you money is both damaging and stupid.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-11-16 at 04:41 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Gaming to any age is fine, think about card tables of seniors sitting around playing cards or doing crossword puzzles in their 80's and 90's. Most of those seniors grew up before the Internet age, but gaming is gaming. Not everything needs to have an artificial limit. And most physicians would say it's extremely healthy to stay mentally active in later years to help against dementia and other similar awful diseases, which gaming is great for. In fact even if I didn't game if I was a senior I'd look at starting to game just to stay sharp.

Your reaction time will get longer, so I would say you will get to old fast for hardcore gaming. But hey there is always LFR, fishing and turnbased games ;-)

Usual bullshit response to elicit responses from other posters like he does in every other thread.
    Who cares how old you are ? If you enjoy it keep doing it until you don’t anymore.
    Link to a BBC article showing playing video games, especially ones where you interact with others appears to be beneficial to mental well being.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54954622

P.s. Yuppie does this in every thread, stop feeding him.

5+ Year Old Account
    No such thing?

I know this is just a burner account that only makes nonsensical posts for the reaction, but I can't help but imagine this mindset applied to sex. "intercourse is only for making babies and never for enjoyment. Once you've squeezed out a few, there's no point anymore so might as well throw your sex organs in the garbage."

Looking at WoW, I'm noticing that the vast majority of WoW players are like 20-25.
    It seems that people drop out around the age of 30, likely because their lives are destroyed by wives and kids, and they can no longer enjoy video games that much or anything else for that matter.

So yeah, I think the age of 30 is too old for gaming, because that's when your bad choices in life consume all your time and you no longer have any time for yourself, so at best you become a mega casual and join the ranks of raid loggers.
    Last edited by Overlord Anrakyr; 2020-11-16 at 11:16 AM.

I can't vote, you're missing the option 'when you're dead'.

I don't see why any hobby would have an expiration date. What am I gonna do when I turn 60? Sit on a chair by the window looking at all them young whippersnappers going by?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    I can't vote, you're missing the option 'when you're dead'.

I don't see why any hobby would have an expiration date. What am I gonna do when I turn 60? Sit on a chair by the window looking at all them young whippersnappers going by?
    OP didn't think the options through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Anrakyr View Post
    Looking at WoW, I'm noticing that the vast majority of WoW players are like 20-25.
    It seems that people drop out around the age of 30, likely because their lives are destroyed by wives and kids, and they can no longer enjoy video games that much or anything else for that matter.

So yeah, I think the age of 30 is too old for gaming, because that's when your bad choices in life consume all your time and you no longer have any time for yourself, so at best you become a mega casual and join the ranks of raid loggers.
    You're not gonna get an accurate picture there, people who don't feel they're young any more, starts around 33 onwards, aren't running around telling people how old they are. When a guild asks my age I just say Old Skool and leave it at that.

What hobbies make sense over 18? Generally curious here.

nobody is ever to old for gaming

the only factor that kicks in at certain age is lack of time for gaming.

being adoult means realising there are more important things in life then gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    nobody is ever to old for gaming

the only factor that kicks in at certain age is lack of time for gaming.

being adoult means realising there are more important things in life then gaming.
    No. The only thing that is important in life is your own happiness. You live for yourself, not for others, unless of course living for others IS what makes you happy.
    If your life takes you down a path that diverges from your happiness, then you should not go that way, no matter what the consequences of leaving that path might be.

People are indoctrinated by parents and society from young age to believe that life is about a series of mandatory choices that must be taken no matter what: having a job, getting a girlfriend/boyfriend, getting married, having children, and then once their purpose is over, they can die. And they are pushed to take these choices even if it means their misery, because "it's the adult thing to do".

Being an adult means being capable of doing whatever must be done to achieve one's own happiness.
    Falling in line to follow a written set of rules is what drones do.

that's non-privileged adult life though. You work and watch politics for work security. I think that's why people up to 17 should have as much fun as possible.
    Maybe if you live in the USA and your Gov hates you.

It's just entertainment like anything else. Asking this question is like saying, "How old is too old for movies?"

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    The fuck are you talking about? As long as you're not locked up the government ain't going to care what you do.
    If I lose my job I get EI no questions asked in Canada as long as I say it was out of my control, doesn't sound like that happens in the USA. Also Banks here let you skip payments if you are going through tough times. Oh on top of all that I don't have to be in constant fear of needing to pay for medical bills that could put me on the street. The list does continue but some countries that should be way further ahead have gone backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post

You're not gonna get an accurate picture there, people who don't feel they're young any more, starts around 33 onwards, aren't running around telling people how old they are. When a guild asks my age I just say Old Skool and leave it at that.
    this. most of the people I play with in MMO's (not just wow) are either my age or older. and I haven't been 30 in a while now. but its not something people go around advertising, more like you play long enough and it comes out in conversations about kids, retirement plans or whatever else.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No such thing as too old for gaming

- - - Updated - - -

21 and over is where, unless you're being paid to play, should give up games as a hobby.
    Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Odd... I don't know a single person over 18 that quit playing games.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Oh I get it. Low key nation bashing for y'all to circle jerk over. Kinda odd to bring up that shit in a thread about how old is too old to play Vidya.
    Someone else brought it up by saying this "that's non-privileged adult life though. You work and watch politics for work security. I think that's why people up to 17 should have as much fun as possible."

I was shedding light on reasons why someone would be too burdened in adult life even if it was a troll, and since this is a US based site I have to assume the vast majority are from the USA.