Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Both Moderna and Astra Zeneca accepted government funding for their vaccine development as part of Warp Speed. Financially, they are babies compared to Pfizer. So they definitely could use the funding.
    funding for development or just an agreement to purchase?
    seriously i just woke up and did not start reading up on the background
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It's more visible, sure, but the whole Puget Sound area, including Snohomish and Pierce, voted blue. I drove to Leavenworth a few months ago, however, and it's much more blatant once you get out of the Sound counties. I haven't visited my relatives in Spokane in a while, and I'm honestly a bit scared to see what it's like over there these days.
    For fun, read the comments section of The Spokesman-Review, KHQ, or KREM.... yikes. Major effort to recall the County Health supervisor.

I mean, Amazon absolutely has directly contributed to the the trend, but it long predates their involvement.
    Ya, there's these small companies; Microsoft, Boeing, The University of Washington... Seattle has been mostly blue since the Denny Party landed at Alki.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2020-11-16 at 06:43 PM.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Another Vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95% effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China Plague, all took place on my watch!
    -Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    What an ignorant, deluded, narcissistic asshole.

Doesn't matter! in 2016 trump made it standard to take credit for everything that happened in the country as of election day. He still to this day takes credit for the stock market for the first 3 months he was not even in office.

So based on the standards set by trump, this is all Biden's credit.

Democrats need to pivot on this and learn a lesson in marketing.

Get out and call this the Biden Bump! Stock market records thanks to the country being super amped Biden was elected!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    He failed to mention that Moderna is based in MA which voted overwhelmingly against him. Pfizer in NY. The other vaccine candidate, Astra Zeneca in MA. The maker of Remdesivir, Gilead, is in CA. In fact Remdesivir is direct beneficiary of CA 2004 stem cell research general bond. So the drug creation in essence is funded by CA tax payers. Detached from reality is the understatement of the year.
    damn coastal elites bailing out the country again....and again....and again.....
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I was listening to a podcast regarding Trump and reading an interesting article in the Guardian, and they raised some interesting points I think are worth considering. I know a great deal will flat out reject some of the assertions regarding Trump, but I am inclined to believe them. Namely that the true danger of Trump wasn't so much him, it is what he has potentially opened the door to. That he was never the Hitler that many made him out to be, nor could he ever be, that he was too narcissistic and incompetent to reach those levels, there was no grand plan for the country beyond his own enrichment and empowerment and in that regard the US got off lucky. Whilst he did do harm, helped divide the nation further as well as the global political implications, this was no reenactment of the third reich (again, this is not the same as me saying it was all sunshine and flowers with no harm done). The true danger being that he has shown that someone like him can reach those levels of power, and that a competent Trump, with a grand vision for the country beyond self interest, would be far more dangerous. He toppled norms in a way that no other president has and showed the levels that you can sink to in the office. We can only hope such a person doesn't rise.
    Not necessarily a dictator, but I would like a decidedly fearsome (in personality) American president that doesn't take shit from any real villains or dictators out there. The kind of man that knows what he is doing, is responsible, and is very intimidating and drives fear into the hearts of evil people out there in all shades. Like if a dictator or terrorist makes negotiations, he'll tell that person to go to hell. The kind of man that ends injustice in his own nation through forcible action and heavily sanctions other countries for their crimes of genocide and slavery rather than turn a blind eye or chicken down.

Now that we are going forward with Joe Biden and Trump is history, I will state the reason I have my skepticism is he looks too soft. I don't desire a leader that will cow to the whims of Xi Jinping when he raises his eyebrow, I want someone that will get pissed off right back and call him out.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2020-11-16 at 06:50 PM.

It's more visible, sure, but the whole Puget Sound area, including Snohomish and Pierce, voted blue. I drove to Leavenworth a few months ago, however, and it's much more blatant once you get out of the Sound counties. I haven't visited my relatives in Spokane in a while, and I'm honestly a bit scared to see what it's like over there these days.
    My hydrogeologist accepted a department head position with the Washington State Department of Ecology. She lives outside Spokane. On one hand she enjoyed living next to the primeval redwood forests. On the other hand, she found the ubiquitous presence of local militia members openly carrying firearms in town to be unnerving. She said that they even openly carry firearms into public meetings.

At least the Nazis are honest about wanting a violent authoritarian. They've starting to identify that they have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Not necessarily a dictator, but I would like a decidedly fearsome (in personality) American president that doesn't take shit from any real villains or dictators out there. The kind of man that knows what he is doing, is responsible, and is very intimidating and drives fear into the hearts of evil people out there in all shades. Like if a dictator or terrorist makes negotiations, he'll tell that person to go to hell. The kind of man that ends injustice in his own nation through forcible action and heavily sanctions other countries for their crimes of genocide and slavery rather than turn a blind eye.

Now that we are going forward with Joe Biden and Trump is history, I will state the reason I have my skepticism is he looks too soft. I don't desire a leader that will cow to the whims of Xi Jinping when he raises his eyebrow, I want someone that will get pissed off right back and call him out.
    Except... he does take shit from dictators and strongmen... You just choose to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Except... he does take shit from dictators and strongmen... You just choose to ignore it.
    not referring to Trump with that. I mean just for a future leader. But yeah, everything I described is probably what people WANTED out of Trump on electing him.

7+ Year Old Account
    not referring to Trump with that. I mean just for a future leader. But yeah, everything I described is probably what people WANTED out of Trump on electing him.
    So you’ve proven that people like yourself who voted for trump are uneducated, easily conned marks.

Why do you believe what trump says?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily a dictator, but I would like a decidedly fearsome (in personality) American president that doesn't take shit from any real villains or dictators out there. The kind of man that knows what he is doing, is responsible, and is very intimidating and drives fear into the hearts of evil people out there in all shades. Like if a dictator or terrorist makes negotiations, he'll tell that person to go to hell.
    Trump ignored reports that Putin put bounties on the deaths of American soldiers.

Trump stroked Kim Jong Un's ego in order to get a photo op.

Trump invited the Taliban to a picnic.

Trump entered into and then lost a "trade war" with China.

Trump rolled over for Erdogan and abandoned long-standing Kurdish allies.

You need to rethink your position.

Yes, you've stated outright that you want a war with China, but you're absolutely deluded in your view of Trump (as well as Biden).

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump officials preparing to move forward with major step to lower Medicare drug prices

Hmm. Interesting. Why didn't he do this four years ago? I read the article and don't see the word "law" or "bill" here, so this is...oh wait, it says here Trump mentioned this in September and then just...didn't do it. Huh.

Alos, it looks like Democrats have already proposed this so...yeah, this isn't news. This is Trump suddenly remembering his legacy is somewhere between "flaming bag of dogshit" and "Breyer's Carb Smart Chocolate" and trying to get one or two (troop levels) promises done after he's lost the election.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump officials preparing to move forward with major step to lower Medicare drug prices

Hmm. Interesting. Why didn't he do this four years ago? I read the article and don't see the word "law" or "bill" here, so this is...oh wait, it says here Trump mentioned this in September and then just...didn't do it. Huh.

Alos, it looks like Democrats have already proposed this so...yeah, this isn't news. This is Trump suddenly remembering his legacy is somewhere between "flaming bag of dogshit" and "Breyer's Carb Smart Chocolate" and trying to get one or two (troop levels) promises done after he's lost the election.
    And this is going to be what Trump will be doing for the rest of his life. Lying and misleading his rapid and willfully ignorant followers while he bilks them for every dime he can get. And he'll have his own Television Network to do it from.

10+ Year Old Account
    State attorneys general have sued Trump's administration 138 times — nearly double those of Obama and Bush

During President Donald Trump's four years in office, his administration has sparred in court with state attorneys general over nearly every issue.

Among the topics: the "travel ban"; the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA; family separations at the U.S.-Mexico border; the "national emergency" declaration to build the border wall; international student visas; student loan protections; clean water rules; transgender health care protections; automobile emissions; a citizenship question on the 2020 census; U.S. Postal Service operations; and Obamacare.

If it seems like a lot, it is.
    Damn, NBC spitting fire today.

A review of litigation against federal agencies during the Trump administration shows that state attorneys general have filed 138 multistate lawsuits since he took office, according to data compiled by Paul Nolette, a political scientist at Marquette University in Milwaukee who studies the office of attorney general.

It's a sharp increase from Trump's predecessors, including Barack Obama, whose administration was sued 78 times during his two presidential terms, and George W. Bush, whose administration was sued 76 times during his two terms.

"The number of AG lawsuits is off the charts," Nolette said. "These days, they're really ready to go, as in once a regulation is finalized, within a week, sometimes within a day or two, the lawsuit is filed. They're ready to run with it."
    Hey @cubby I doubt you have the exact numbers, but you probably have an informed guess. Would you say the resolved cases against Bush, Obama, and Trump so far paint Trump as the least successful in the courtroom?

- - - Updated - - -

South Dakota nurse says many dying patients still insist COVID-19 'not real'

Yes, that South Dakota.

Donald Trump is a murderer.

- - - Updated - - -

NBC News has helpfully compiled this list of cities/states with new COVID restrictions.

Browse all you want, the answer is "most of them". Spans the spectrum from NYC to ND.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hey @cubby I doubt you have the exact numbers, but you probably have an informed guess. Would you say the resolved cases against Bush, Obama, and Trump so far paint Trump as the least successful in the courtroom?
    The numbers of cases for past administrations are tough to track down. I know that Trump is somewhere around 8-10% success rate in the court room when he is sued for Regulations he attempts to roll out - this is in large part because he staff is so incompetent that they fail to do the background work and preparation to defend them.

Generally speaking, Trump has been the least successful Resident in the history of the United States - even Hoover is gleefully rolling around his grave in thanks.

South Dakota nurse says many dying patients still insist COVID-19 'not real'

Yes, that South Dakota.

Donald Trump is a murderer.
    Saw this story earlier today, couldn't believe people were so willfully stupid as to literally deny what health professional are telling them is causing their death. Trump is indeed a murderer. I hope the NYStateAG and Manhattan Prosecutor's offices are ready to roll. I expect them to seize assets, hand down indictments, and perhaps hold Trump's passport on Jan 22 (they may wait a week because the inauguration, so as not to detract from that national celebration).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Well, first of all, the Reagan Administration ditched the Fairness Doctrine.
    This triggers me. Not you lol. The facts behind it all.

My aunt is hardcore conservative and not long ago we kinda fell out over all this. It was before the BLM riots etc and I pretty much predicted some of what was to come. As in resistance to Trump, riots, conservative platforms etc. She didn't believe me. She was upset about FB and Twitter being anti conservative, (this was all from the Trump tweet that what they were doing was "illegal!")(nevermind it wasnt illegal and that there is also pro conservative bias in other companies that she doesnt care about...NRA etc) I tried to explain to her that in a free market and capitalist society she and others like her are more than welcome to create their own platforms and being a republican she more than anyone should be against "big govt" stepping in and we can't control which party a business owner belongs to and which way they swing and if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. She wouldn't hear any of it. Now enter Parler etc. lol who have done just that and I just got done reading the wiki page on the Fairness Doctrine which I forgot alllll about and direct you to the "Opposition" section:

"Opposition
    The Fairness Doctrine has been strongly opposed by prominent conservatives and libertarians who view it as an attack on First Amendment rights and property rights."

Just ugh. There is no getting through to people like her sadly. She can't see the hypocrisy and honestly believes the same stuff I see from people like John Voight with his most recent "most important battle since the civil war, and its the battle of righteousness vs. evil etc" She tries to cast a political light over any subject we may be talking about. "Thats why your mother does this is cause shes liberal blah blah blah" "Only Republicans have any sense of personal responsibility" etc etc. uggggh. There is no winning with them. She only listens to Hannity, Ive heard her husband wish death upon all Dems and the list goes on. The real irony is that they think everyone else is the the problem. They are righteous and the other side is evil and this is the end of America. The fearmongering hyperbole and paranoia is staggering. Needless to say, sadly we don't speak much anymore once she seemed to get I was never going to convert to her side.

I should add, she also believes in Qanon now. Ask her about any news and its "MSM is fake news" "Dont believe a word they say!" Yet she believes in a rando anon forum poster from 4chan of all places. I can't make this stuff up. Shes convinced that Dems are pedos and they do it in pizza shops. The divide is bigger now than its been in many years.

Edited for the similarities here:
    The backlash against social media bias is funny. When Dems were claiming it, it's not a thing. Their rights were being infringed upon. Now it's happening to them and they want the very thing they fought/stand against to stick up for them.(remind anyone of the "keep your govt hands out of my medicare" signs?) Similar to this argument I'm seeing about the Russian interference. It's not a thing, its not a thing, we won fair and square, elections arent rigged! Wait, this election was rigged! We didn't agree then but we do now! We don't believe you when you make the claim but when we make it, it's SeRiOuS. End rant. This is why I stay out of politics. Marley was the real mvp. One love.
    Last edited by Hollycakes; 2020-11-17 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Political derps

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-house-2020-11

Trump is planning a series of confrontations with China in the final weeks of his presidency

The Trump administration believes the new moves will leave the incoming Biden administration boxed-in.
    We need this guy out now.

As the tantrum continues in the White House, Trump intentionally changes the citizenship test for no real reason and continues his post-loss firing spree.

Special note: one of the questions added to the citizenship test is "Why is the EC important?"
    As someone who just went through the process in the last two years, that test is nothing. Adding more questions or expecting more correct answers won't change anything materially. The questions are braindead easy, and they give you all of the questions (and the correct answers to them) in a pamphlet well in advance of the interview.

One of the questions I was actually asked was "Who is the current Vice President of the United States?"

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    well, when he was relieved of COVID, he vowed/swore vengeance on China so he's keeping his word
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...virus-pandemic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    As someone who just went through the process in the last two years, that test is nothing.
    Kind of makes Trump's move even more petty, doesn't it?