Poll: How old is too old for gaming?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Well that dude is a known troll. I know being closer to 40 than 30 I never stopped playing Vidya or have politics affect any jobs I've had. Insurance is a thing here.
    I only slowed down a bit because I have a house and have to maintain things but ya I think most people just do what they want lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    I only selected 60s and beyond because there was no option for you're never too old for gaming. I feel in this regard age is just a number. Just because you're older than the average person playing video games or collecting toys and what not doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying that hobby you've loved since you were a kid. It's stupid to think like "oh, I'm 70 years old I can't play my video games anymore because society says I'm too old to keep playing video games. Guess it's time to give all my games away".

I always say that when I'm 90 years old or however old I get to be I will still be playing video games and collecting toys. Fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    I only selected 60s and beyond because there was no option for you're never too old for gaming. I feel in this regard age is just a number. Just because you're older than the average person playing video games or collecting toys and what not doesn't mean you have to stop enjoying that hobby you've loved since you were a kid. It's stupid to think like "oh, I'm 70 years old I can't play my video games anymore because society says I'm too old to keep playing video games. Guess it's time to give all my games away".

I always say that when I'm 90 years old or however old I get to be I will still be playing video games and collecting toys. Fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.
    Well said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully there is no age for being too old.

There will always be the stigma around video games and those who play them. There is also that notion that if all you do is play video games and not provide for your family (if you are a mother/father or wife/husband for example) then you need to prioritize things. People then could say, "aren't you too old to be playing video games" and such.

Can't wait to be in my mid-80's still talking shit to people in random battlegrounds in WoW. "Listen here, sonny boy, you're a fucking scrub" and whatnot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    well, that's how reality pans out for most people. You'll get your ass kicked by your parents and told to make something of your life, usually. I can understand maybe seeing movies once in a while but video games are as a hobby no longer make sense over 18 unless you're studying to make money off making games or being an internet personality.
    You're well on your way to that, "Stupid Shit People Say" award you seem to be aiming for.

You should have fun even when you get old, then why stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    No such thing as too old for gaming

- - - Updated - - -

Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Odd... I don't know a single person over 18 that quit playing games.
    i think maybe i should've said until you have enough money or some scheme to no longer work and can live a basic life. Then you can play video games well over into adulthood. But adulthood is basically a race against the clock to make money so video games as hobbies fade out for most people.

I wish I were a kid again just playing WoW or some Call of Duty or BF. But now reality has set in and my life isn't making money through gaming. I'll admit people that get lucky breaks like Tyler1 are blessed to live manchild lives while being millionaires, but most people aren't so lucky.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think maybe i should've said until you have enough money or some scheme to no longer work and can live a basic life. Then you can play video games well over into adulthood. But adulthood is basically a race against the clock to make money so video games as hobbies fade out for most people.

I wish I were a kid again just playing WoW or some Call of Duty or BF. But now reality has set in and my life isn't making money through gaming. I'll admit people that get lucky breaks like Tyler1 are blessed to live manchild lives while being millionaires, but most people aren't so lucky.
    Why do you think someone can't have a job and play games?

Also gonna need a source to your claim.

But adulthood is basically a race against the clock to make money so video games as hobbies fade out for most people

I don't know a single person that has stopped playing games.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Why do you think someone can't have a job and play games?
    They can if they make video games or become an internet personality around video games.

Following is all my opinion:

But anything besides that, though? I think if you come home from work and spend half or quarter of a day playing a video game, that's a risk to your security. That time spent could be used to look into more ways of making money or furthering your career to make more money. You might think I sound obsessed with money, but I'm not. You don't ever want to go homeless in this life, especially now.

My ideal life strategy/plan: Make enough money to no longer work, understand how savings work and not be reckless, then do whatever minimalistic hobbies you like (i.e games, watching TV). But that's a long way to go for me.

Too old for gaming is like to stupid for chess...
    You can play it, but does it really matter

Everyone thinking Yuppie is the crazy dude here.
    Troll or not, he's mostly right.

Although I didn't quit playing some causal games every now and then, I hardly make it above the 1h mark over every other odd weekend. If you do some serious work/career, your time is better invested otherwise. It would be like shooting your own leg.

If you are content with the standard 9-5, lower medium income and live in a comfy, cheap area and don't have a family that needs your attention... More power to you. We all choose how to live our lives. There is no right or wrong, just different priorities.

10+ Year Old Account

None of that that has nothing to do with age though. That's just having a different financial situations than other people. Of course if you're working like 3 jobs with kids then yeah video games will become a thing of the past until you gain some free time again. When it comes to age though it doesn't matter how old you are to like and enjoy video games. You don't have to be a millionaire to enjoy playing video games either. It's a pretty affordable hobby.

It annoys me so much because people create these social "laws" that they brainwash into young people. They'll say shit like "why do you still collect toys for? They're for little kids" or "you need to stop playing video games and make something of yourself". They'll turn your hobbies you've always enjoyed into something that's embarrassing for you and it gets to a point where you just become disinterested in it because you start to actually believe you're too old for those things and that they're only meant for kids and you'll feel like you have to change so you can appease other people and feel like you're "more of an adult". That's when people start to just follow trends and become another drone of society mindlessly following the crowd and getting into whatever the current popular trend is.

Another thing that gets me is what I mentioned before about "making something of yourself". I don't get why society always thinks you have to become like some super important person who is always running around staying busy with work. If that's what you genuinely enjoy doing, then cool, more power to you but some people just want to have a decent job to live off of and enjoy life and their hobbies as much as they can. Which is what they call the "simple life". What's wrong with that?

Reality is, REAL adults do whatever the hell they want and think for themselves. Those people telling you how to live your life were also once one of those kids being told their too old to do something and they let that one person (who was also told the same thing when they were a kid) change their life and now they're passing it on to the next generation of kids and this generation of kids will do the same when they're older and it'll keep on going down line. There is no such thing as being too old to enjoy a hobby.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Well if you love to play games having the prio I can do it once a week for a hour is like yes I want to look sexy I have a beer a week.

Love it do it drink, eat play, smoke or what makes you happy I dont want to die looking like someone that never enjoyed life

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I've slowed down because I might be going through a midlife crisis career wise. I think this is the least amount of video games I bought this year and I think that might be around four or five. I have picked up painting Warhammer again so yeah that's eating a lot of my money if I really want to get serious in it.
    Ya I still have some from when I was younger, it definitely eats up time. I am in the prototype stage of making a videogame too, learning the ropes of the engine I am using and woodworking so that takes up a lot of my time now.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Never underestimate the importance of entertainment as it relates to mental health. Until you're successful, are you supposed to spend every waking hour trying to make money? Gee, what a rewarding life. Ever see one of those old rich businessmen who have no sense of humor and hate their lives? They neglected fun until they lost the ability to have it, and now not even their money can bring them comfort. They used to be young and fun-loving but being so focused on a singular goal turned them into old bitter jaded assholes.

You need to supplement a successful mindset with one that still knows how to get enjoyment out of life beyond the almighty dollar. During your downtime, do whatever helps re-energize your mind and show you a good time so you can go BACK to work with renewed vigor. If that's video games so be it. Video games are comparatively a very cheap source of entertainment, and something that's convenient that can be done at nearly any time. So I would argue that it's a great tool for someone who wants to be successful.

When you don't like it anymore. That is when it is too old for you.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Although I didn't quit playing some causal games every now and then, I hardly make it above the 1h mark over every other odd weekend. If you do some serious work/career, your time is better invested otherwise.
    Like what? You're already living to work at that point, what else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    Never underestimate the importance of entertainment as it relates to mental health. Until you're successful, are you supposed to spend every waking hour trying to make money? Gee, what a rewarding life. Ever see one of those old rich businessmen who have no sense of humor and hate their lives? They neglected fun until they lost the ability to have it, and now not even their money can bring them comfort. They used to be young and fun-loving but being so focused on a singular goal turned them into old bitter jaded assholes.

You need to supplement a successful mindset with one that still knows how to get enjoyment out of life beyond the almighty dollar. During your downtime, do whatever helps re-energize your mind and show you a good time so you can go BACK to work with renewed vigor. If that's video games so be it. Video games are comparatively a very cheap source of entertainment, and something that's convenient that can be done at nearly any time. So I would argue that it's a great tool for someone who wants to be successful.
    ALL.

OF.

THIS.

and it doesn't have to be video games. it can be whatever gives you joy. video games just happen to be a good, interactive, yet relatively inexpensive option ( outside of reading which thanks to libraries having e-books/audiobooks is free, its the cheapest hobby I have, not even exaggerating even accounting for the cost of whatever platform you chose to game on).

and funny story - you can do it WITH your family! who would have thought, right?

5+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe people voted 30+ So many people still play games at that age. They were around when the best games got created. Honestly age doesn't matter, like is short anyways so just do whatever you like.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can we stop giving yuppie the attention he lacking in real life.
    You can never be too old to game, you might choose to slow down or spend less (or more) on games as your finances/life changes but there no law saying you can’t game in your free time.