Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    well, when he was relieved of COVID, he vowed/swore vengeance on China so he's keeping his word
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...virus-pandemic
    Seriously. Think. At all.

We'll just stack that against the 20,000 plus verifiable lies and ignore the fact that his vengeance, ignoring the idea whether vengeance at all is appropriate or effective, and you've only got 19,999 more to excuse/justify. Get to work!

I don't care if Trump promised to punch a pregnant illegal woman in this stomach and then actually does it. Him doing it is still fucking wrong and stupid and keeping the promise isn't a positive. Stop excusing him.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2020-11-16 at 11:12 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I hope China's response is simply to revoke Ivanka's patents and such things, then wait it out till jan 21

China isn't dumb. They know in two months, the stupid will be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    China isn't dumb. They know in two months, the stupid will be over.
    They, and the rest of the world, know that Trump is a lame duck without any bargaining power. Unless Trump gives up the figurative baby and bath water. But I don't think congress would approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Le sigh

Trump Sought Options for Attacking Iran to Stop Its Growing Nuclear Program

first 2 paragraphs incase it's paywalled

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked senior advisers in an Oval Office meeting on Thursday whether he had options to take action against Iran’s main nuclear site in the coming weeks. The meeting occurred a day after international inspectors reported a significant increase in the country’s stockpile of nuclear material, four current and former U.S. officials said on Monday.

A range of senior advisers dissuaded the president from moving ahead with a military strike. The advisers — including Vice President Mike Pence; Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; Christopher C. Miller, the acting defense secretary; and Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff — warned that a strike against Iran’s facilities could easily escalate into a broader conflict in the last weeks of Mr. Trump’s presidency.
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2020-11-17 at 12:16 AM.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    They, and the rest of the world, know that Trump is a lame duck without any bargaining power. Unless Trump gives up the figurative baby and bath water. But I don't think congress would approve.
    tbf we also know that this may all happen again in 4 years.
    As long as your voting population remains that stupid, I would not trust the US on anything big personally. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    If only there was like, some kind of deal with international signatories including the US, that limited both how much uranium that Iran could have at once and also limited how much they could enrich it. And that this deal had some kind of agreement to allow inspectors into all their sites along with other oversight tools to ensure that Iran was abiding by the terms of the deal and not continuing to actively develop nuclear weapons.

Some kind of like...Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    As someone who just went through the process in the last two years, that test is nothing. Adding more questions or expecting more correct answers won't change anything materially. The questions are braindead easy, and they give you all of the questions (and the correct answers to them) in a pamphlet well in advance of the interview.

One of the questions I was actually asked was "Who is the current Vice President of the United States?"
    Wasn’t that easy when I took it... mine was signed by Bush jr, so it’s been almost 20 years. I was the asshole in the back trying not to laugh, as everyone else was crying with joy.

Oh no... yours is signed by Trump... I am so sorry... I thought I had it bad...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Wasn’t that easy when I took it... mine was signed by Bush jr, so it’s been almost 20 years. I was the asshole in the back trying not to laugh, as everyone else was crying with joy.

Oh no... yours is signed by Trump... I am so sorry... I thought I had it bad...
    "Why is the Electoral College important?"
    So I assume that "It's not", while a proper and right answer, isn't the "correct" answer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Trump Sought Options for Attacking Iran to Stop Its Growing Nuclear Program
    Because of course he is.

This could actually be the most damage he could inflict on his way out of town.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump's actions are proof that we need to get rid of the lame duck session.

Move the certification and inauguration to within a week of the counting being completed. Don't give the lame duck session time to do these things.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Move the certification and inauguration to within a week of the counting being completed. Don't give the lame duck session time to do these things.
    100% agree. No one thought we would have a Trump, who would actively harm the country on the way out. Everything should be looked at and update at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Don't forget, Team Trump is a cult. I'm an Eagles fan for life, but when they suck (cough cough Sunday cough) I'll be one of the first to admit it. And, as you've seen on these very forums, even with the shield of anonymity, when Biden says something stupid or outright lies, I tend to call him out on it.

The rabid fanbase is at the point where they would literally rather die than admit they backed a lying incompetent loser. Yes, literally, look at those mask mandates they're not following, look at the crimes they're committing. Kidnapping a governor? Driving from a Trump rally to the Philly vote counting location with guns what the fuck? Say what you want about Black Lives Matter, they at least are rebelling against unarmed innocent African-Americans being murdered in cold blood by police. I don't agree with violence as a political motivation, but at least them I understand. The rabid fanbase is looking at historic drops in American...everything, from jobs to international approval, and saying "Yeah we want more of this please, and we want it so badly we want to ignore the fact that it's now objectively proven we're outnumbered".

Feel free to fail to understand. It's good that you don't understand. TWEETING IN ALL CAPS doesn't make you right, it makes you wrong louder.
    Yep. Every time I hear whinging about black lives matter, my response is just gonna be "Remember that time a bunch of right wing terrorists were threatening the lives of polling employees because they were too pussy to admit their god king lost?"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Thus far tonight I've heard Trump plans to sanction China, he plans to pull all troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan with no plan, and that he is planning an unprovoked strike on Iran. The first two are probably covered by the general protections presidents get, but wouldn't the third open him up for war crimes if the Biden administration decided not to protect him?

10+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't the third open him up for war crimes if the Biden administration decided not to protect him?
    I hope so. Because only throwing Trump into ICC would placate the rest of the world. Imagine if, say, Trump launched strikes unilaterally and we just shrugged our shoulders and allowed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

No, we just need to stop electing insane egomaniacs in the first place. Lame duck periods are important under normal circumstances, because it takes a while to transition the leadership of the entire executive branch. There is a lot of administrative stuff to be done. The 43 Presidents before Trump all enabled that transition (Well, 8 died, but the 35 that survived to the end of their term (s) all transitioned properly).

162,149 new cases; a little under 35k more than last Monday. Hey, Nebraska managed to get their shit in just in time to make it into the...

Top 20:

Texas: 11,879 new cases; 78 deaths
    Illinois: 11,632 new cases; 42 deaths
    California: 11,209 new cases; 39 deaths
    Tennessee: 7,951 new cases (new record); 30 deaths
    Minnesota: 7,437 new cases; 12 deaths
    Ohio: 7,268 new cases; 20 deaths
    Kansas: 6,868 new cases (new record); 10 deaths
    Michigan: 6,381 new cases; 55 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 6,214 new cases (new record); 14 deaths
    Indiana: 5,147 new cases; 26 deaths
    Missouri: 4,673 new cases; 8 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Connecticut: 4,639 new cases (new record); 22 deaths
    Wisconsin: 4,389 new cases; 12 deaths
    Colorado: 4,296 new cases; 32 deaths
    New York: 4,063 new cases; 36 deaths
    Nebraska: 3,440 new cases (new record); 18 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,435 new cases; 14 deaths
    Iowa: 3,209 new cases; 6 deaths
    Washington: 3,189 new cases (new record); 2 deaths

Other states with new case/death records: Virginia, Arkansas and Vermont.

At first glance it might not seem like many new records but bear in mind it's a Monday...so this is actually pretty excessive all things considered. There are three states with over 11k. On a Monday. Look for them to be hitting brutal new records later this week. I expect they'll get some company soon as well. Things are still wildly out of control across the US. Taking a state purely at random--South Dakota--their positivity is just south of 60%. That is not a typo. Trump and Governor Kristi Noem have done irreparable damage...not least because people are dying of COVID-19 while still denying that it's a thing.

We could very well crack 200k new cases daily this week.

739 deaths is a little under a hundred more than last Monday. The total is now 252,651. I think this will be a make-or-break kind of week in terms of what we could expect as this continues. I'm expecting around 1,500-1,600 days, but if we see 1,700-1,800 I would not be entirely surprised given the explosive growth of the outbreak and the numbers we've seen the past couple weeks. A lot of it comes down to whether or not there are beds and staff available for those sick enough to be hospitalized.

Related news:

At least 2 members of Congress announce positive Covid-19 diagnoses Monday--And they likely won't be the last.

Biden urges Congress to pass coronavirus package with state, local government funding--Because the current White House occupant is too busy hatching more conspiracy theories and fleecing his flock.

U.S. logs 1 million new COVID-19 cases last week, deaths up 12%--We already knew this, but A MILLION FUCKING CASES IN A WEEK can't be said enough. The rise in deaths is expected.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    739 deaths
    It wasn't that long ago these were the high days.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It wasn't that long ago these were the high days.
    Kinda. We skimmed about a hundred or so below 1k for a while about a month and a half ago. But we haven't been down to 700 as a "high" since July.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michigan state lawmakers announce plans to impeach Whitmer.

"On what grounds?"

The kidnapping failed.

"No, really."

Ignored court orders. Violated our Constitutional rights. Completely ignored due process and the legislature. Weaponized contract tracing databases to aid democrat campaigns.
    "So, COVID restrictions?"

COVID restrictions.

Meanwhile, McConnell suddenly realized he already got re-elected and asks Trump to not yank all the troops out of Afghanistan.

The consequences of a premature American exit would likely be even worse than President Obama's withdrawal from Iraq back in 2011. ... It would be reminiscent of the humiliating American departure from Saigon in 1975. We'd be abandoning our partners in Afghanistan
    Hmm. Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle late to be having second thoughts, isn't it? Funny, he didn't object when he needed the rabid fanbase's votes.