Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Will you pick Kyrian at launch because that's the best covenant for most specs?

According to researchers from Wowhead, the best covenant for the majority of class specs is Kyrian. I hear it's mainly because of Pelagos giving players a 3% versatility buff that is easy to keep up at all times during combat. It used to be 5% but even after being nerfed to 3% it still remains a very solid option for most specs. Will you be picking it? Seems inevitable that it's going to get nerfed and make everyone move over to the next, best covenant, and so on. I wish choosing covenant was only for cosmetics, mounts, pets, and quality of life bonuses.

15+ Year Old Account
    Paladin's right choice is either Kyrian or Venthyr. Not because of the soulbinds, not really. It's just mainly because the covenant abilities for the other 2 specializations are too specific or too unwieldly.

I feel this is a problem for most classes or specs. Blizzard really failed usually at getting 4 interesting abilities that have good all-around use. Most classes have only 2 or 3 truly useful covenant abilities. They may all be tuned similarly, but tuning doesn't change the ability's raw use case or how much it disrupts your rotation (Night Fae Paladin blessing is particularly guilty of this).

I'm going to choose on my characters based on the covenant ability, and then I'll just let the soulbinds be whatever is best later.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I will pick whatever covenant I like best.
    Here is something to believe in!

I have no problem picking Kyrian. But I really don't want to pick Pelagos. I don't care about a blue human at my side. I want Kleia, at least she has wings; looks way cooler. So I hope that they shuffle Pelagos' soulbind tree to not give him a route with 2 DPS nodes AND 2 potency conduit slots.

Though, in the end I think the difference here will be very, very marginal. The Kyrian covenant ability often being the best choice is more problematic.

5+ Year Old Account
    I will pick it because I want to have castle in the clouds and wings. If it's a top convenant then it's even more great.

nah I'm going night fae on paladin screw the best choice

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    I wish choosing covenant was only for cosmetics, mounts, pets, and quality of life bonuses.
    This is what I am doing on my characters. Picking based on cosmetic and themes for that class. I know for sure my paladin is going Kyrian because of the aethestics, plus I like their covenant ability for prot paladins with throwing all the shields out.

I'm not going to worry about min/max because we all know Blizzard will nerf covenant's before Mythic raid is released based on what is the "Go to" choice for everything. Then they'll eventually nerf them again later to rebalance them. So it's just easier for me to pick the ones I want based on cosmetics and aesthetics than trying to worry about what will give me the biggest bang per point.

I'm probably going to squeek by with NF balance druid and using off spec resto as a justification for it.

I'll probably end up picking what looks interesting and/or help deal with my characters weak point(not sure what I'll play yet), min/maxing is kind of pointless for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I'll make my final decision after I've finished leveling and tried out each covenant, but right now I'm leaning Venthyr om my Shaman.

Everyone caring exclusively for gameplay will likely go Kyrian, but their theme and aesthetics are an outright bore and I much prefer Venthyr in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Venthyr is very strong for Death Knights so I'll probably go that. Swarming Mist is strong for ST and AoE for both Unholy and Frost and Thrillseeker is a decent conduit.

Obviously subject to change with balancing, but as someone that does raiding and M+ it's a safe option for DK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun fact: The only character I currently have that I plan on joining the Kyrian with...is my gathering prof character. Won't even do dungeons with him, just picking plants and rocks. The main I plan on playing actual dungeons and maybe raids with is joining the Night Fae, despite having the worst ability I've seen from these covenants. (Seriously, all these other classes get cool unique abilities, but night fae death knights just get a buff to Death and Decay, an ability I rarely use? Wtf)

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Fun fact: The only character I currently have that I plan on joining the Kyrian with...is my gathering prof character. Won't even do dungeons with him, just picking plants and rocks. The main I plan on playing actual dungeons and maybe raids with is joining the Night Fae, despite having the worst ability I've seen from these covenants. (Seriously, all these other classes get cool unique abilities, but night fae death knights just get a buff to Death and Decay, an ability I rarely use? Wtf)
    better than warlocks getting a buff to drain life, a spell that you would never use.

No, I'll do it for the mog and because the ability can be at least used somewhat decently by all specs. The alternative would be going full on specialization for only one spec and I don't trust Blizzard to not fuck me over 2 weeks after launch for that. If that turns out to be a massively detrimental descision then I'll just stop giving Blizzard my money until they fix their shit. I'm not hurting for games to play right now and the interest in wow of my guild is waning anyway.

That is the case for almost all my characters, with 1 or 2 exceptions, because I want at least one with the necrolols, despite most of their art being dog shit. I might sacrifice my warlock for that.. the caster armor doesn't look that bad and the ability is, well. workable (far from good though last I checked). While the Plate armor looks okay-ish as well, I simply don't want to be stuck with slappy-hands. That spell is fun in a couple of niche cases but most of the time it's just underwhelming.

In gernal most of my choices will end up being compromises that won't make me happy in the slightest. Great system Blizzard has going here.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-11-17 at 01:30 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

I main a DK so I'm gonna go Maldraxxus or Venthyr. Probably Venthyr since it seems to be the better option at this point.

I don't mind not being 100% optimal, but if it comes to a point where I have to choose an aesthetic that doesn't fit my character to be remotely viable I'll probably just stop playing until the next expac.

Lol no, they are my least favorite covenant.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao no I'm not enough of a brainlet to chose the BiS stuff / mathematically stronger regardless of my preferences, otherwise I wouldn't even be a Priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to go Kyrian on my Shadow Priest, but the class ability is so weird and out of place (having to go on melee as a ranged spec????) and it doesn't interact with the rest of our toolkit at all that I'll end up going Venthyr.

On my Druid I have to go Night Fae for the theme (and the class ability is fun even tho can be subpar) so yeah...

For main it is according to wowhead night fae for druid. Rogue perhaps but for character purely based on xmog than DK for necrolord and warrior for venthyr

I'm picking Necrolord for that sweet mog.