Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    It sounds like you no longer find your investment worth it, but seem unable or unwilling to divest from it... Why is that?
    I assume he used to enjoy the game and want to be able to enjoy it again?
    Its healthy to think critical and question things now and then, even things you like investing time in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melliodas View Post
    I assume he used to enjoy the game and want to be able to enjoy it again?
    Its healthy to think critical and question things now and then, even things you like investing time in.
    You might be right, however, I'm taking the entirety of what they are posting and reaching the conclusion that they are looking for our 'permission' to walk away which they absolutely do not need. They simply need to pull the metaphoric 'trigger' and go.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTakeo View Post
    A decent plot that I won't spoil.
    Amazing plot points that hooked me (strategist dissapearance, nathrezim conspiracy, captured naaru)
    Come on... really?

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    So I make no secret of it I absolutely hated BFA
    Mate, I make the cost of wow token in like days with playing AH, so obviously Im not...Well, paying for any Blizzard games for years now. But these games you talk about last like 10-50 hours, and thats it...I have played BFA for like 1500-2000 hours....so yea. Thats about 60-80 days played. Good value.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Other than Asheron's Call, Warcraft is the only one worth the subscritpion. Lord of the Rings, D&D, Anarchy Online, Star Wars all weren't...for me anyhow

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no doubt Blizzard is taking shortcuts but I would imagine the reason people can look past that and continue buying expansions is because they're either genuinely enjoying the game or they're people like me, old vets, who are too invested into the game at this point to not buy the new expansions. I mean I'm not saying I'm forcing myself to buy them but it's hard to just walk away from a game that's been with you for pretty much your whole life. 14 years I've been playing this game, mostly on and off but I never totally quit the game. It always brings me back. Plus, I do still find enjoyment in this damn game after all these years. So, I don't see myself ever walking away from it, I'm here until the very end. Also, I'm too attached to my characters.

To answer the question of if it's worth it, sure it is. Anything you find to be fun is worth investing your time and money into. If you find the Assassin Creed games to be more fun than WoW then of course you're going to think that WoW isn't worth the money. If you find WoW to be fun then why not invest money into buying game time or a subscription to play it?

It all depends on personal preference.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

WoW makes a pretty good value vs cost argument for itself. I don't think it's even arguable to say WoW is a bad value at all. All arguments are going to be largely opinion based because of your value placed on the game. If you like Valhalla more than BFA that's great, but that doesn't mean that Valhalla's existence devalues WoW's worth at all. They are different games. If I spend $2k for a titanium exhaust on my car, you might think that sounds ridiculous, but to me it's worth it.

From an objective point of view WoW's cost/sub gives you servers, game support, hundred's of hours of gameplay through patches/releases (if you play it), whatever experience you glean from your time in game, etc... Applying this to other games sometimes doesn't provide the same value. So WoW is objectively a good value, even if you subjectively don't like it.

PS: I chuckled at the person who said just buy ESV and download a ton of mods for $20. As if ESV never cost anything other than $20 and a group of modders hardwork going into a "free" mod that is being entirely devalued by the posted.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, it was worth it when I played, as was the more important time I spent playing WoW, and is no longer worth it, either from a money or time perspective. $15 a month and $60 every two years, plus any store purchases or "I feel lazy, I'll buy a token to get gold" money is altogether a lot less than buying a new $60 game every two to four weeks for a $500 console that is only good for playing videogames on.

It compares less favorably to, say, buying one high quality PC game that is nigh infinitely replayable and has no sub fee, and playing that for months on end, like the old RTS titles were before that genre died, or something like the Total War franchise. But those games I used to use as a break from WoW when I would get burnt out or bored of the gear treadmill and the more irritating social interactions.

I tried SWTOR when it came out, and I just found that towards the end of leveling, it wasn't worth the time I was putting in, or the money for sub, as I just didn't feel invested in the Star Wars universe like I did with WoW.

Now, I just casually work on a book series, some days doing nothing, other days working a max of two hours. Kind of hard to beat a hobby that is free, and has no social obligations. I do not miss the feeling of learning that yes, the raid is canceled today because people didn't show up. I like being in control of my hobby, and not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Its not about hate.
    Its about price and content offered.

Is Blizzard really delivering on the 80 or so $ they are asking for and this is just one month of payment.
    For such an expensive game surely the content would be stellar.
    For example an entirely new northrend redesign to accommodate the newer timeline.
    Afterall why not?
    Whats stopping Blizzard from doing that?
    To me, the $80 is for the ability to live in a gated community. The $18 a month is your HOA fee for upkeep of your property. So...... just like a RL homeowner, you need to decide if the property price is worth your money. Do you like the neighborhood? Do you like the people living in your neighborhood? Are your HOA fees too high for your income? Do you feel like your HOA fees are going to keep the neighborhood safe, attractive, and possibly add new features?

If you answer NO, then you can always go off the grid and play FPS games with no online community. I have used the Blizzard Realty Company for 16 years and will keep living in their gated communities. Sometimes I get annoyed and stop paying my HOA fees and they lock me out of my house..... but I can still see it through the fence. Eventually, I pay the fees and can live behind the gate again. Your choice to be made.

Stay safe and have fun!

Super hot take: anyone who says wows sub and game cost isn’t worth, while simultaneously pays and plays anyway, is a moron.

If you're just consuming the initial content and maybe one content patch and then quitting and saving that $15 a month until 2 more content patches come out then rinse repeat - its more worth it.

Staying subbed the entire expansion is definitely not worth it comparatively.

But then you run into this issue where now Blizzard is seriously punishing people for not being subbed the entire expansion. I tried to come back to BFA near the end to kill some time, only to find out I had to do a butt load of boring ass max level quest chains to unlock more systems that I couldn't compete without, while at the same time being weeks/months behind in grinding up "infinite grind systems". Had to unsub again.

Not at all to me now. Monthly price went over $16 in my state. I'm sitting the new expansion out, doesn't even appeal to me. Definitely won't pay to grind those systems

Come on... really?
    Yeah, really. Do atleast the other points you didn't quote satisfy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    "Real" MMORPG means not having the lionshare of your content be singleplayer. Pretty objective, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTakeo View Post
    Yeah, really. Do atleast the other points you didn't quote satisfy?
    Those are more subjective.
    The story being horrendous is objective.

I could sit through a trainwreck gameplay if the story was compelling but with wow its just... not possible.

I paid for SL with gold tokens. I made the gold just by doing the activities I enjoyed, i.e. "playing the game". So, for me, sure, it's worth it. I haven't sunk a single real-life cent into the game in years, and all my renewals are paid for with gold.

Now, is it worth it for the people buying the tokens (whales and so on) for real money? Good question. I hope it is, for their sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are more subjective.
    The story being horrendous is objective.

I could sit through a trainwreck gameplay if the story was compelling but with wow its just... not possible.
    Maybe Wow isn't for you any longer, there is no shame in admitting that to yourself and moving on to something that does please you.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Maybe Wow isn't for you any longer, there is no shame in admitting that to yourself and moving on to something that does please you.
    Honestly its hard to do.
    Its like growing up with a family pet and now your parents begin to abuse it for the 20$ per month.
    The thing that mostly drags me back is to see how bad they are going to kick this poor animal and object to its suffering.

But anyway that's just the story.
    For everything else I honestly don't care that much for really.

Sure the shortcuts from the previews are funny to see and it got me thinking "wow when you do the math this is a pretty expensive game" hence this thread.

Really you trying to build a case against a mmo on value for money?
    Any MMO not just WoW is worth at least 4-5 AAA games in amount of content and replay ability.
    The only case against them is if you don’t like the gameplay loop.
    I usually get 8-10 hours out of 60$ AAA games and probably on average 30+ out of MMOs and that’s not counting the ones I play more then just levelling a couple of characters like WoW, Wildstar, Guildwars 2 and other good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    You'll be done with ACV in 100 hours or less. There is objectively more than 100 hours of stuff to do in the first patch of an expansion.
    weird im almost 90 hours in and not even close to discovering the entire map yet

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    weird im almost 90 hours in and not even close to discovering the entire map yet
    Good for you. As I'm sure you are well aware of, YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exodeus View Post
    Really you trying to build a case against a mmo on value for money?
    Any MMO not just WoW is worth at least 4-5 AAA games in amount of content and replay ability.
    The only case against them is if you don’t like the gameplay loop.
    I usually get 8-10 hours out of 60$ AAA games and probably on average 30+ out of MMOs and that’s not counting the ones I play more then just levelling a couple of characters like WoW, Wildstar, Guildwars 2 and other good ones.
    I've easily spent double the amount I've spent on WoW on bug name games since 2004. I can easily say I have spent 1/10th the amount of hours playing them.

You are spot in. There is no case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    Super hot take: anyone who says wows sub and game cost isn’t worth, while simultaneously pays and plays anyway, is a moron.
    Oh we have plenty of thise. Plenty that think they are screwing Blizzard over by paying with tokens(ignoring that supports a premium $20 am month sub fee), and we have plenty that RIP this game a new one from morning to night and still play while calling other south and calling them addicts for liking the game.