10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Michigan state lawmakers announce plans to impeach Whitmer.

"On what grounds?"

The kidnapping failed.

"No, really."

"So, COVID restrictions?"

COVID restrictions.

Meanwhile, McConnell suddenly realized he already got re-elected and asks Trump to not yank all the troops out of Afghanistan.

Hmm. Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle late to be having second thoughts, isn't it? Funny, he didn't object when he needed the rabid fanbase's votes.
    Republicans are a special kind of stupid aren't they?
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    No, we just need to stop electing insane egomaniacs in the first place. Lame duck periods are important under normal circumstances, because it takes a while to transition the leadership of the entire executive branch. There is a lot of administrative stuff to be done. The 43 Presidents before Trump all enabled that transition (Well, 8 died, but the 35 that survived to the end of their term (s) all transitioned properly).
    If it's any consolation, I doubt Trump's administration has done any notable intelligence collection or presidential work in... well, let's generously say the past five months, so I don't think Biden and his team is missing out on too much in that regard, because it was never there to be given to him to begin with.

Biden might be coming out ahead going in with his already-hired cadre of... actually qualified people... without having to deal with Trump's sharpie'd over transcripts of fox news pundits that he was using to inform all of the white house's decisions.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Trump just told his followers to put a bullet in their brain, how many would actually do this? It’s a non zero number, I’m almost certain of that. 100, 500, 1000?
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2020-11-17 at 12:00 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Republicans are a special kind of stupid aren't they?
    Add to that a healthy dose of maliciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Trump's actions are proof that we need to get rid of the lame duck session.

Move the certification and inauguration to within a week of the counting being completed. Don't give the lame duck session time to do these things.
    No thanks. A set date for transition of power makes those transitions of power more likely. Imagine all you had to do to stay in power was keep finding votes or sequentially asking for recounts from every state. It'd be years before the next guy gets in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No thanks. A set date for transition of power makes those transitions of power more likely. Imagine all you had to do to stay in power was keep finding votes or sequentially asking for recounts from every state. It'd be years before the next guy gets in.
    Adam wasn't asking to remove a set date, just move it closer to the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Adam wasn't asking to remove a set date, just move it closer to the election.
    "Within a week of the counting being completed" means it's a floating date. The counting may never be completed. This isn't the only reason not to change to vague language like that or move the transition up, but it's a definitive one.

"Within a week of the counting being completed" means it's a floating date. The counting may never be completed. This isn't the only reason not to change to vague language like that or move the transition up, but it's a definitive one.
    Yeah I think you’re missing the point of his post. He’s lamenting about the long period after the vote to the inauguration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Yeah I think you’re missing the point of his post. He’s lamenting about the long period after the vote to the inauguration.
    I'm not. I'm saying that his way of solving the problem, a nebulous date of transition, is worse.

I'm not. I'm saying that his way of solving the problem, a nebulous date of transition, is worse.
    You're interpreting he meant a nebulous transition date and you're doing it at the cost of his actual point.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about this:

Move the EC certification date to Dec 1st, and the transition date from Jan 20th to Dec. 8th.

Boom, enough time to count all the votes and you shorten the lame duck session significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    rump Sought Options for Attacking Iran to Stop Its Growing Nuclear Program
    UPDATE: Iran heard about it and they are not happy.

Any action against the Iranian nation would certainly face a crushing response

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So start a war for no reason, then claim that you have to stay president because of said war. Is that the “strategy” now? I wonder if the military would actually follow orders like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post
    So start a war for no reason, then claim that you have to stay president because of said war. Is that the “strategy” now?
    I've suggested for years it would be his strategy...but that he'd have had to start in the summer at the latest.

The US holds elections during wars. It will not keep Trump in power, if Trump starts a war after losing.

That's probably why Trump was talking about "strikes" and not "invasion". he wants to flip the table, but not pick up the game pieces afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How about this:

Move the EC certification date to Dec 1st, and the transition date from Jan 20th to Dec. 8th.

Boom, enough time to count all the votes and you shorten the lame duck session significantly.
    That's a better solution. Mind you, that's still 3/4 of a month away. It wouldn't solve the actual problem, just shorten the duration. The situation could be likened to shutting the barn door after the horses are out. The problem isn't really a lame duck session. It's lunatics in office.

It'd also require an amendment to the constitution. Too, if that were to happen, we'd need every potential candidate getting briefings/meetings like the ones biden is supposed to be getting now before they're actually elected.

Biden doesn’t want his presidency to be all about Trump, w investigations. He “just wants to move on,” per an aide. Another notes “strong school of thought that believes the law's the law.” All say Biden won’t tell DoJ what to do. w @kwelkernbc @mikememoli https://t.co/d0hCwOjviy
    https://twitter.com/carolelee/status...257468933?s=19

I believe most of us see this coming.

First Biden saying he is leaving up to his AG, but he picks his AG. No way this is not discussed and I guess the AG can go rogue.

So here we go knowing the Democrats are spineless. So we have investigations for 4 years and Trump and right wing media feast.

Yes if Clinton was elected we would have been on our millionth Benghazi, etc. Projection? Yes we had 4 years of 'Lock him/her up'. Trump like no other acted as an authoritarian with wanting everyone in prison.

If people want to bring up NY state crimes, I can agree. Problem is we are talking about possible Federal crimes that should be prosecuted so this doesn't happen in the future.

With the crying from the right and Dems having no fight we won't get anything.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    "All say Biden won’t tell DoJ what to do"
    Does he need to? If, as many of us suspect, there is a laundry list of serious breaches of laws and executive branch Constitutional rules, the DoJ certainly knows this already. If it's all basically minor shit like "So-and-so used federal funds to have someone pick up his laundry" Biden shouldn't waste his time on that anyhow.

- - - Updated - - -

Analysis by the Wall Street Journal and copied in this TheHill article tell us what we would have guessed: a lot of businesses that received PPP funds still went bankrupt and won't be paying the loans back.

And a fair number of small businesses just closed, instead of going bankrupt, as well.

I guess if we didn't have PPP funds, they would have gone bankrupt much sooner.

Republicans claim they are in favor of businesses. But they are the ones who specifically and directly blocked a second COVID relief bill. This is on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/carolelee/status...257468933?s=19

I believe most of us see this coming.

First Biden saying he is leaving up to his AG, but he picks his AG. No way this is not discussed and I guess the AG can go rogue.

So here we go knowing the Democrats are spineless.
    Christ, aren't there enough people on these forums bitching pointlessly about this shit? And the two statements here are contradictory.

The AG is completely capable of handling raking Trump over the coals if there's evidence to support it without Biden riding his ass about it. Presidents aren't usually the ones telling AGs which crimes specifically to go after--they're expected to pursue shit on their own. You're normalizing Trump's shitty behavior.

I'd MUCH rather Biden focus on getting a COVID-19 response underway, reversing all of the shitty EOs/pseudo-policies Trump pushed through and set about repairing--if possible--America's relationships with the rest of the world. There are dozens of things Biden should be focusing his attention on. Telling the AG how to do their job isn't one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump doesn't have the balls to strike Iran. He's just mad that he lost. Hes like those kids that get mad so he picks up his ball and goes home. Leaving everyone else wishing they just brought their own fucking ball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden still isn't getting security briefings from the Trump administration.

So he's just going to hold his own with a team of experts.

"But he won't have classified intel that way!"

Wel, that's Trump's fault, isn't it? At least Biden is trying. Trump spent the weekend golfing.