Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think that people's online and real life personalities are the same?

I don't, which is why I think it's stupid when forum threads come up and people base their answers on the OPs online personalith when he might be the complete opposite IRL, such as on relationship forums and someone writes "You must have no friends, your personality is awful, work on it".

I can be a complete asshat online, and much edgier than I ever am IRL. Especially when it comes to gaming I can be one hell of an elitist asshole.
    IRL, though? None of that applies to me. IRL I'm the calm, slightly introverted, considerate guy who get along with everyone. My friends love me because of how kind, considerate, generous and caring I am, and how I always like to bring them along on fun small adventures (their words). I always want people around me to food good, completely the opposite of how I am online, and I don't know how many shoulders I have been to cry on for my best friend, like when she's had a fight with her boyfriend.

Honestly, I think most people are like this. People "let go" and escape their real life personality when they go online, which is why I think it's stupid when people equate the two as the same. Of course it's difficult to know how someone is IRL through a simple forum post or a chat, but as a general rule I always assume that people who post online are like 10 times as nice IRL.
    Last edited by Deathknightish; 2020-11-17 at 05:50 PM.

It really depends, I do argue with people a lot about stuff IRL, especially when I am right lol. Honestly I articulate much better in person so people take my side far more often in real life as written words can only express or convey so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It really depends, I do argue with people a lot about stuff IRL, especially when I am right lol. Honestly I articulate much better in person so people take my side far more often in real life as written words can only express or convey so much.
    That's interesting. I'm the complete opposite as I get the time to think and write my words in my own pace online, and I have all the time in the world to think. IRL, I always feel like I'm being put on the spot and have to come up with whatever argument fast fast fast, and that just leads to whatever coming out being literally preschool-level of an argument.

For the most part no. Online anonymity gives people a false sense of bravado, be it for trolling being nasty or more outspoken than they would in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    That's interesting. I'm the complete opposite as I get the time to think and write my words in my own pace online, and I have all the time in the world to think. IRL, I always feel like I'm being put on the spot and have to come up with whatever argument fast fast fast, and that just leads to whatever coming out being literally preschool-level of an argument.
    When I am passionate about something you can't shut me up haha, but generally it is well thought out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be slightly edgier and more aggressive before.

I believe you can mature in your use of internet as well and nowadays I find myself to be the same as in real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even a little bit.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    on the internet you can be yourself with no hypocrisy due to social habits irl so mostly no

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    For most people no, on the internet there is the sense of security in being anonymous.
    Personally I have a habit of being quiet with people who I don’t know very well but then I get quite loud quickly once I’m used to them.

no.
    i'm sure some people's are the same.
    but not all people's.

I think the person you are online with other people is the person you are deep down. like drunkenness - anonymity of online conversations allows you to remove whatever restrictions you place on yourself in real life. so you may not act the same way online as you do in real life? this online persona is STILL a representation of at least a part of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    For the most part no. Online anonymity gives people a false sense of bravado, be it for trolling being nasty or more outspoken than they would in real life.
    Thats still them though. It's just them uninhibited.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that people's online persona is a more accurate idea of how they actually think than how they act offline. The people who REALLY REALLY want to be elitist asshole in person, but can't pull it off? They're the online elitist assholes. The people who don't have any desire to be one in the first place... aren't online either. Anonymity and insulation from consequences allow people to be the person they want to be online.

I would say their online persona is their real persona, while the IRL is the "mask" for daily life.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The person I am is very different from the mask that I wear. Confusing the two is a sure trip to a padded room.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    I don't, which is why I think it's stupid when forum threads come up and people base their answers on the OPs online personalith when he might be the complete opposite IRL, such as on relationship forums and someone writes "You must have no friends, your personality is awful, work on it".

I can be a complete asshat online, and much edgier than I ever am IRL. Especially when it comes to gaming I can be one hell of an elitist asshole.
    IRL, though? None of that applies to me. IRL I'm the calm, slightly introverted, considerate guy who get along with everyone. My friends love me because of how kind, considerate, generous and caring I am, and how I always like to bring them along on fun small adventures (their words). I always want people around me to food good, completely the opposite of how I am online, and I don't know how many shoulders I have been to cry on for my best friend, like when she's had a fight with her boyfriend.

Honestly, I think most people are like this. People "let go" and escape their real life personality when they go online, which is why I think it's stupid when people equate the two as the same. Of course it's difficult to know how someone is IRL through a simple forum post or a chat, but as a general rule I always assume that people who post online are like 10 times as nice IRL.
    normal people dont need to act strangely on interent

its mostly those who fail irl who wear "edgelord elite" masks on internet to live the pretended life.

if you are happy with your life why would you feel need to act like that because you simply dont care.

They don't fundamentally change between one and the other. People just don't usually share, show, or live based on their whims IRL like they do online, because there can be very real, very serious consequences for it.

An asshole online is an asshole in real life, it may just not seem like they are because they don't show it, hold their tongue, or go out of their way to sound more tactful and express their opinions in more tasteful, less offensive ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I doubt most people are, but I try to be the same asshole online as I am irl
    For the most part this, but I'm probably nicer online since I can delete posts before submitting them.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    For the most part this, but I'm probably nicer online since I can delete posts before submitting them.
    I have a short temper that get's the best of me, online and off. but I always give shit to those who deserve it. although I find more people online that deserve it much more then real life, since I usually don't have random conversations with strangers in real life. But I also delete some most posts if I feel I've gone too far.