Nothing amazing about it.
    Small groups...families, friends..get-togethers of that sort are the current problem. And there's no way of controlling that.

when you have leadership and a party like this, 250k infected per day seems like a reality soon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nksgiving.html

Trump's coronavirus adviser Scott Atlas suggests people should invite their elderly relatives to Thanksgiving because it might be their last

Scott Atlas attacked lockdowns for 'isolating' people, including the elderly
    He then hinted that people should invite their elderly relatives for Thanksgiving

'For many people this is their final Thanksgiving,' he said, 'we have to have a policy... which is not just about stopping cases of Covid'

Comes after Atlas told people in Michigan should 'rise up' against lockdown

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...interesting;

Study finds some mouthwashes can kill coronavirus

Some mouthwashes can kill the novel coronavirus within 30 seconds after being exposed to it in a lab, according to a study that scientists at Cardiff University in Wales say could signal "promising signs" for mouthwashes being used to help curb the spread of the pandemic.

A report released Friday from the university showed that mouthwashes containing at least 0.07 percent cetylpyridinium chloride showed an ability to eradicate the virus. The study has yet to undergo peer review.

"This study adds to the emerging literature that several commonly-available mouthwashes designed to fight gum disease can also inactivate the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (and other related coronaviruses) when tested in the laboratory under conditions that are designed to mimic the oral/nasal cavity in a test tube," the study's lead author, Richard Stanton, said.
    Oh god how long before people are buying raw cetylpyridinium chloride??

prices for it on ebay have already shot up.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Oh Jesus now mouthwash is going to be the new toilet paper.

Brb gotta go to walmart real quick so I can post them on Ebay for $1,999 ea!
    Well that would explain why i didnt get it yet. Been using a lot of alcohol and stuff like this recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Nothing amazing about it.
    Small groups...families, friends..get-togethers of that sort are the current problem. And there's no way of controlling that.
    See where I live we have had it pretty normal aside from a few short lockdowns to curb it, we have one of the lowest transmission rates in the world within our Atlantic Bubble, life and the economy here are basically back to normal we all have to wear masks/distance in public and that is about it. As of now I can see whoever I want when I want and my mom works at a Hospital too.

Whoot we #1 again!! and #3!!!

Muricaaaaaaaaagh

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...mortality-rate

North Dakota’s coronavirus mortality rate is the highest of any U.S. state or country, according to an analysis of data from last week conducted by the Federation of American Scientists.

The analysis, first reported by HuffPost, shows that North Dakota has a rate of 18.2 deaths per 1 million people. South Dakota, meanwhile, has 17.4 deaths per million, the third-worst rate in the world. The states have a total population of under 2 million.

NEW: North Dakota & South Dakota rank #1 & #3.... Our analysis shows 18 of the 50 worst #COVID19 hotspots with the highest mortality worldwide are in the US. And all this reflects deaths arising from older cases arising 3 weeks ago in Oct. Nov case surging➡️bad Dec death wave. pic.twitter.com/AgdSum14Dw
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Well that would explain why i didnt get it yet. Been using a lot of alcohol and stuff like this recently.
    You are aware that most people on this planet haven't gotten it yet, right?
    While numbers may seem intimidating, Corona cases are actually still rather rare, compared to the global population. Hence why we are still a long way from herd immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You are aware that most people on this planet haven't gotten it yet, right?
    While numbers may seem intimidating, Corona cases are actually still rather rare, compared to the global population. Hence why we are still a long way from herd immunity.
    And by the time we hit herd immunity, which there is no way of guaranteeing will happen, millions of people will be dead, in just the US alone.

People probably already know but South Australia's locking down for 6 days. No non-essential business, no leaving homes for anything other than essential work or grocery runs. I'm optimistic that everything'll go well. Another 10 after that to burn out the infection time with slightly relaxed, but still serious restrictions. If I die I'll let you guys know
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

And finally (see below) we now have the result from a Danish study whether face masks are effective for protecting the wearer.

The result is "maybe a little bit, or not all".

Or in detail: surgical face masks are perhaps 15-20% effective in reducing the risk for the ones wearing it (among the general population), or perhaps not effective at all (i.e. null-hypothesis couldn't be rejected). Note: if people wear masks instead of other precautions that effect is unlikely to be fully captured by this study.

Non-medical masks were not investigated, and neither whether masks reduce the spread to others.

Allegedly they had hoped for a larger reduction - around 50%.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUKKBN27Y1YW
    (I still cannot find the actual study results.)

Note that the study was completed in June https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT04337541 - but several journals rejected it, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...navirus-report

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And finally (see below) we now have the result from a Danish study whether face masks are effective for protecting the wearer.

The result is "maybe a little bit, or not all".

Or in detail: surgical face masks are perhaps 15-20% effective in reducing the risk for the ones wearing it (among the general population), or perhaps not effective at all (i.e. null-hypothesis couldn't be rejected). Note: if people wear masks instead of other precautions that effect is unlikely to be fully captured by this study.

Non-medical masks were not investigated, and neither whether masks reduce the spread to others.

Allegedly they had hoped for a larger reduction - around 50%.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-he...-idUKKBN27Y1YW
    (I still cannot find the actual study results.)

Note that the study was completed in June https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT04337541 - but several journals rejected it, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...navirus-report
    While this is good data the guidelines that came out early were never about wearing a mask to protect yourself, it was about wearing a mask to protect everyone else from you. Because people can be asymptomatic carriers and spread it to others without knowing it. The idea is to help contain and limit the spread, people wearing masks limit what they're spreading.

Anyone still spreading this narrative that the guidelines about wearing a mask was about protecting yourself haven't been listening.

Only certified masks specifically designed to protect you will do that, but those are not the types of masks the CDC and WHO have been advocating for people to wear and use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    And by the time we hit herd immunity, which there is no way of guaranteeing will happen, millions of people will be dead, in just the US alone.
    Well depending on whether people can be re-infected after, say a year or so and how severe the secondary infections are, herd immunity may never be a reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well depending on whether people can be re-infected after, say a year or so and how severe the secondary infections are, herd immunity may never be a reality.
    Herd immunity through natural infection recovery may never be a reality. Herd immunity through vaccination is still herd immunity, despite attempts by ignorant politicians to hijack the term.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While this is good data the guidelines that came out early were never about wearing a mask to protect yourself, it was about wearing a mask to protect everyone else from you. Because people can be asymptomatic carriers and spread it to others without knowing it. The idea is to help contain and limit the spread, people wearing masks limit what they're spreading.

Anyone still spreading this narrative that the guidelines about wearing a mask was about protecting yourself haven't been listening.
    Except that it wasn't that simple - as both were considered (even for surgical masks):

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
    Contains:
    In a review of observational studies, an international research team estimates that surgical and comparable cloth masks are 67% effective in protecting the wearer.
    WHO's guidelines https://www.who.int/publications/i/i...ncov)-outbreak indicates that the actual support for face masks is sparse for both protecting the wearer and others from infected but still says:
    WHO recommends that health workers providing direct care to COVID-19 patients, should wear a medical mask (in addition to other PPE that are part of droplet and contact precautions);
    and includes a line with "medical masks" for protection of vulnerable populations in their recommendations for the general population.

All this mask talk makes me sad that we almost had masked shipped to every household in the country for free with information educating those people on use and benefits....

imagine if things started out this way how different we would be today.....if the education just got off on the right track from the start
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    All this mask talk makes me sad that we almost had masked shipped to every household in the country for free with information educating those people on use and benefits....

imagine if things started out this way how different we would be today.....if the education just got off on the right track from the start
    You mean like when USPS was planning to distribute 650M masks early on in the pandemic (April) and the White House killed the initiative? - https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/polit...ion/index.html

Weird, almost like they wanted to let Americans die.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You mean like when USPS was planning to distribute 650M masks early on in the pandemic (April) and the White House killed the initiative? - https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/polit...ion/index.html

Weird, almost like they wanted to let Americans die.
    Yup. imagine they did that and followed up with a dozen more over the last 8 months.

it would almost be common place and full acceptance of normal to wear one and have them

i guess giving farmers another 40 billion to not grow food was more important
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Except that it wasn't that simple - as both were considered (even for surgical masks):

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02801-8
    Contains:

WHO's guidelines https://www.who.int/publications/i/i...ncov)-outbreak indicates that the actual support for face masks is sparse for both protecting the wearer and others from infected but still says:

and includes a line with "medical masks" for protection of vulnerable populations in their recommendations for the general population.
    Those studies and recommendations still all say that wearing a mask helps prevent transmission.

What's your angle here? Are you suggesting we should or should not be wearing a mask?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Herd immunity through natural infection recovery may never be a reality. Herd immunity through vaccination is still herd immunity, despite attempts by ignorant politicians to hijack the term.
    Of course you are right, I meant the former. Should have been more specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    imagine if things started out this way how different we would be today.....
    Man I'd love to visit an alternate timeline and see the results.
    Personally, given the rather hefty rise in Germany, despite mask mandates in place, I don't think these buggers are even half as effective as people think. Though they seem to calm people down a bit, giving them the impression that they are "safe" and that they are "doing their part".

Still, w/o any actual data on the subject, it's probably better to err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Those studies and recommendations still all say that wearing a mask helps prevent transmission.
    They were suggesting it for both source control and protection of wearer based on little evidence for medical masks, and primarily theoretical studies, extrapolated results, or with large risk of confounders (like looking at countries mandating masks - since that is often linked with other measures and any measure regardless of actual effect makes the public more aware of the issue - i.e. a placebo effect); and public policy almost everywhere was based on that.

We now have an actual half-blind randomized study of protection of the wearer indicating an effect between small and non-existent.

When we get new information it makes sense that the strategy is re-evaluated.
    What do you recommend to do when we get new information?

Additionally what is worrying is that it took so long to get this result; which is part of the general problem of science - as it was a kind of "negative" result.

They were suggesting it for both source control and protection of wearer based on little evidence for medical masks, and primarily theoretical studies, extrapolated results, or with large risk of confounders (like looking at countries mandating masks - since that is often linked with other measures and any measure regardless of actual effect makes the public more aware of the issue - i.e. a placebo effect); and public policy almost everywhere was based on that.

We now have an actual half-blind randomized study of protection of the wearer indicating an effect between small and non-existent.

When we get new information it makes sense that the strategy is re-evaluated.
    What do you recommend to do when we get new information?

Additionally what is worrying is that it took so long to get this result; which is part of the general problem of science - as it was a kind of "negative" result.
    This "new" information doesn't change anything, we already knew this. Wearing one of these kinds of masks, ie the ones NOT designed to protect the wearer like respirators do, is not really that effective at protecting the wearer...because that's not what they're designed to do. But, wearing a mask is quite effective at reducing the distance particulates from the wearer will travel and therefore reduces the chances the wearer can affect others. That's why we should wear them.

To answer your question, when you accept it into the knowledge on the subject and remold whatever stance there is based on that new information. But as I said before, this is not exactly "new" information.