Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Twitch is to much filler. Lucky YouTube is twitch curated I rarely wanna watch anything live.

GPU's cant be good enough. Im very disappointed with the new releases of GPU's last few years, graphic performance has not been lifted enough. Still cant play 1080p full high settings 144 hz wow with addons I bet. On the other hand CPU's has gotten great.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    bring back the beige I say!
    Those joyful days when floppy/CD drives came with silver/black/beige faceplates. All the customisation you could possibly need.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Still cant play 1080p full high settings 144 hz wow with addons I bet. On the other hand CPU's has gotten great.
    Because it isn't a GPU issue at all.

Its a CPU issue.

So your statement is hillariously ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Add that to the fact that the good games available are limited and that few in development focus on VR. When prices on VR sets drop further, developers will eventually go back and add VR comparability to their games.
    My unpopular opinion is that VR will not matter for most games.

Simply put - you turn faster with the mouse than you do in reality; so VR isn't that competitive for most FP-games (VR is still useful in non-games and in some games); and the game doesn't have to be hyper-realistic for you to immerse and dream about it - that happens even with Tetris.

And if you are not in first-person mode VR is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Even if VR was only, like, a $200 investment, I still don't think it takes off. There is just not enough interest. It needs more killer apps that really show off what it can do.

I know there is SOME stuff like that, but it's not enough.

I just don't see VR being anything but a niche thing for the foreseeable future.
    It actually has a lot of potential on common people / casual gamers. Just like the first wii. All non gamers I let try vr were simply astonished just by the occulus starting experience. So maybe the occulus quest (I have a rift S, so not sure about that one quality) can work very well, if they manage to make it easy to test. Testing rollercoaster rides "for the show" was a garbage idea. That starting experience or games like Moss might be a way better approach. And they need to emphasize that you don't need a computer to use it.

For more serious gamers it will be complicated. It's still quickly tiring to move while in first person, and the short teleport moving system, while being a good solution to reduce that problem feels clunky no mater what. And of course controllers can't beat mouse/keyboard. But people manage to play fps with pads so, it's more subjective.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2020-10-30 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Because it isn't a GPU issue at all.

Its a CPU issue.

So your statement is hillariously ironic.
    WoW is not bound by CPU if you buy a proper modern one, even the 9900k does not hold you back, its all about the GPU, especially if you want to crank the settings or even consider 1440p. See benchmarks for the game before commenting on something you think you know about
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    WoW is not bound by CPU if you buy a proper modern one, even the 9900k does not hold you back, its all about the GPU, especially if you want to crank the settings or even consider 1440p. See benchmarks for the game before commenting on something you think you know about
    But the CPU is what brings you down to 30-40 fps in mythic though, because it's single-core dependant. And also what stops you from reaching 144hz in the overworld

Back a while ago I ran a 980ti at 4k, got ~90fps in the overworld. Got me a new 1440p monitor, still had 90fps.

If that's not a CPU bottleneck, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But the CPU is what brings you down to 30-40 fps in mythic though, because it's single-core dependant. And also what stops you from reaching 144hz in the overworld

Back a while ago I ran a 980ti at 4k, got ~90fps in the overworld. Got me a new 1440p monitor, still had 90fps.

If that's not a CPU bottleneck, I don't know what is.
    I have not visited this topic for a long time, so after the big multicore widening in the last year or so wow is still bound by a single thread?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I have not visited this topic for a long time, so after the big multicore widening in the last year or so wow is still bound by a single thread?
    Yes, by design and necessity. Less so than before, but still very much true.

They have to be 100% sure that you're in sync with the server and not off doing something else while the server thinks you're fighting a mob after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    How is it overrated? It's functionally superior in every way to HDDs... nothing to do with being 'over rated'. That's like saying Vehicle travel is overrated when walking is just fine. <_<;
    All about context I guess..

Yeah, if you -need- an SSD, then yeah, you need it of course. But for alot of people still I believe, myself included...honestly just get SSDs for the luxuary benefit of saving time etc..
    As for your vehicle example, I'd say if you have a 45min drive to work, yeah you need a vehicle. But if you use your car instead of a 10-15 min walk to the store, then its simply a luxuary..

So myself, I no longer have HDDs, i'd never go back. I'm a gamer, I don't do any prod. work or anything else, and for me honestly it's just 10sec(SSD) vs 30-40 sec HDD loading screens and bootup. I'd never say I -need- an SSD.

So yeah, I personally think SSDs are overrated. Everyone recommends them and say its a must have, "Oh i'd never be able to live without an SSD(dramatized for effect)".. But objectively speaking.. whether it takes 10 sec to do a loadingscreen versus 45sec(Even less, if whatever you're doing has been cached from an earlier session)

Unpopular opinion eh

10+ Year Old Account
    Desktop PCs are going to museum within a decade and a half.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Desktop PCs are going to museum within a decade and a half.
    Unless there is a radical shift in transistor manufacturing that drives down the heat output, there will still be a lot of desktop computers around. There will always be people for which the negatives of a desktop computer are far less important than the additional performance through a better cooling solution.

The death of the desktop computer was already foretold a decade ago and still.. here we are with lots of powerful desktop PCs (gaming, work, etc.). Granted, there are a lot more laptops around now compared to a decade ago, and this trend will go further in the future, but unless something radical happens, the desktop won't go away any time soon.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Mechanical keyboards are overhyped. That noise from switches, even red ones are just awful.
    And also that lights, RGB or not. God sake, why there always must be that Christmas tree on table?

Buying latest, greatest tech is a stupid idea. Whether its due to bugs, unsupported drivers, etc... it always better to wait 6 months before making any 'new tech' purchase. Looking at both latest gen consoles and graphics cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have been more happy in the world where humans never would have invented electricity and everything it has bring to us.

iPhone's are absolutely terrible. I decided to give the hype a try for my work phone and the lack of a back button alone made me want to set the device on fire. Not to mention how quickly performance degrades as the OS upgrades. Meanwhile, my Android phone has been through the ringer and performs like new. My original Pixel took YEARS of upgrades and abuse before the battery became shoddy.

RGB pc cases & components often look uglier than without.
    Gold and silver are some of the ugliest colors both for pc hardware and software.

google chrome UI design for pc/desktop is some of the worst, most impractical and ugliest to ever exist.

wireless mice and keyboards are unusable for gaming (have not tried the latest logitech one that clams to be as "responsive" as wired).

i would rather not play a game than use a playstation/xbox controller.

2k and 4k gaming resolutions are not worth the hardware cost unless you are swimming in $$$ compared to the prices.

Gaming laptops are not worth it at all because of their overheating keyboards/cases and significant performance throttling due to temperature.

99,9999% of mobile games are just soulless spyware cash milking scams - actually have IRL friends working in several enormous software development houses for mobile games and that is literally the mentality of all employees and management there.

Liquid PC cooling is never worth the hassle nor the price nor the risks.

These days all major game development companies are completely ruled by people who have neither played games nor have any interest in providing a quality gaming product they can be proud of and honestly recommend to their friends/family.

INTEL, Realtek, AMD/ATI and many other hardware giants have some of the worst most impractical website designs and product naming schemes known to mankind.

Unless you got $$$ to burn many games have no real use for SSDs unless you really value reducing the loading screen from 60 to 15 seconds and then waiting all that time you "saved" in a "waiting for other players" screen.
    Of course some (mostly single player) games like Total Warhammer 2 and Fallout4/Skyrim will greatly benefit from SSD.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2021-01-10 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post
    I would have been more happy in the world where humans never would have invented electricity and everything it has bring to us.
    As a re-enactor and history major focusing on the medieval through pre-inudstrial eras...

i assure you, you would not like it better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    iPhone's are absolutely terrible. I decided to give the hype a try for my work phone and the lack of a back button alone made me want to set the device on fire.
    Uhh.. you're aware that the back button (All the nav buttons) have been gone in Android since 9? You have to specifically go in and turn them back on and not all custom skins let you, and its being totally deprecated in another year or two. Mind, i hate using an iPhone (but do use an iPad) too, because i cant arrange the icons how i want and their support for Widgets (8 years later...) is still total garbage. And the price of the phone (though the new SE mostly remedies this).

Not to mention how quickly performance degrades as the OS upgrades.
    See, my problem with this is that it isn't really an opinion, its a false statement that can be scientifically proven wrong. Performance tends to get BETTER with new versions of iOS. Proven by benchmarks and everything. Meanwhile, performance on Android devices tends to drop extremely fast on all but the highest end flagship deices with new versions of Android.

IF they even get a single Android upgrade. Most (over 85% of the phones made) never get one. iOS devices tend to get updates for 6 years. Or more. Not even Google's Nexus (and now Pixel) devices get that many updates. There isn't a single Android phone that is still getting official updates 6 years later. (Now, Custom Roms let you get around that but we can all agree that the average consumer isn't doing that).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    wireless mice and keyboards are unusable for gaming (have not tried the latest logitech one that clams to be as "responsive" as wired).
    Another opinion that is scientifically provably not an opinion (at least, the underlying "reason" for the opinion). LTT and GN have both done tests on this. Any modern wireless device that uses RF and isnt bargain basement is fine and performs just fine, with no perceptible difference from wired. Your human reflexes are the bottleneck.

i would rather not play a game than use a playstation/xbox controller.
    This comes across as somewhat blinkered. I can't fathom trying to play a game lake Street Fighter, or Mega Man, on a keyboard.

2k and 4k gaming resolutions are not worth the hardware cost unless you are swimming in $$$ compared to the prices.
    4k maybe (and "2k" is not a resolution, but you probably mean 1440p/QHD), but QHD is barely more expensive than 1080p unless you're trying to do high refresh. You can drive 1440p/60 with a 300$ GPU. A 1440p/60 panel is ~225.

Liquid PC cooling is never worth the hassle nor the price nor the risks.
    Risks are arguable (if we're talking an AIO, Custom Loop is an entirely different beast); but cost? You can get a 120mm AIOs that are cheaper than air coolers that cool as well (you can get decent AIO 120mms for ~50$, only a tiny bit more than a 212 EVO, and the 212 actually doesn't cool as well; and thats pretty cheap compared to an NH-D15 or BeQuiet! Dark Rock/Pro.) So the "cost" thing is entirely incorrect.

Unless you got $$$ to burn many games have no real use for SSDs unless you really value reducing the loading screen from 60 to 15 seconds and then waiting all that time you "saved" in a "waiting for other players" screen.
    Inability to realize that not everyone has the exact same experiences and desires as himself: identified. Also: anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

Of course some (mostly single player) games like Total Warhammer 2 and Fallout4/Skyrim will greatly benefit from SSD.
    Somewhat self corrected.

Most people dont play multiplayer games. SSDs are cheap enough now that there is no reason to use Spinning Rust except for mass storage of files where the storage speed is irrelevant (video, audio, media).

You dont need to upgrade every year, hardware is lasting alot longer than it did in the early 2000's, an i7/i5 system from 2011 can still hang with the cool kids in 2021.