Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    This is the RAM. AIDA also showed it was Smasung B-Die, but I never got a screenshot of that

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-...my-08q-tg.html

Here's a pic of the RAM for you.

Yea if you have that it should be B-die, but then again - very loose timings for B-die on your screenshots. I would try booting 3800 14-16-16. I assume the timings for non-XMP clocks are all auto.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Yea if you have that it should be B-die, but then again - very loose timings for B-die on your screenshots. I would try booting 3800 14-16-16. I assume the timings for non-XMP clocks are all auto.
    Yeah, the timings reported weird, even with manual settings of 16-18-18-36. Reported fine in Mobo as that, but AIDA reported it as 16 20 20 36. Regardless, I'm happy with 3800 CL18, and I'd imagine most users would be. The point is most normal people don't fuck with timings or speeds, they buy 3600mhz ram and set XMP. The ones who do tweak aren't average users on MMO Champ.

Edit: I should say that I'm running 32GB now, that RAM I posted a pic of is from my 8700K system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Yeah, the timings reported weird, even with manual settings of 16-18-18-36. Reported fine in Mobo as that, but AIDA reported it as 16 20 20 36. Regardless, I'm happy with 3800 CL18, and I'd imagine most users would be. The point is most normal people don't fuck with timings or speeds, they buy 3600mhz ram and set XMP. The ones who do tweak aren't average users on MMO Champ.

Edit: I should say that I'm running 32GB now, that RAM I posted a pic of is from my 8700K system.
    Exactly, that's why I recommend Crucial 3600C16 sticks. You're gonna get great performance, no compatibility issues and it's cheap.

Btw I'm pretty sure that XMP on those 3600C16 is going to be way faster than 3800 18-22-22.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Get some C16 RAM instead
    No comment on the GPU, since we haven't seen benchmarks yet.
    Thoughts on GPU? noting the commentary doesn't look super encouraging for AMD.
    Considering if i upgrade the CPU to the 6800xt and maybe update with Zen4?

If so, whats a decent interim card for a 1440p Ultrawide setup? 2080?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Thoughts on GPU? noting the commentary doesn't look super encouraging for AMD.
    Considering if i upgrade the CPU to the 6800xt and maybe update with Zen4?

If so, whats a decent interim card for a 1440p Ultrawide setup? 2080?
    The commentary around the 6800xt is quite positive. It's basically a 3080 +/- 5% (unless you care about raytracing, in which case it gets DESTROYED, even without factoring in DLSS)
    You'll of course have to deal with AMD's driver support which can be quite spotty around a new launch, but if you just want frames, then it's a better deal than a 3080.
    6800 non-xt is a good deal more powerful than a 3070, but also costs a good deal more. I'm too lazy to do the math, but should be about the same performance per dollar

The commentary around the 6800xt is quite positive. It's basically a 3080 +/- 5% (unless you care about raytracing, in which case it gets DESTROYED, even without factoring in DLSS)
    You'll of course have to deal with AMD's driver support which can be quite spotty around a new launch, but if you just want frames, then it's a better deal than a 3080.
    6800 non-xt is a good deal more powerful than a 3070, but also costs a good deal more. I'm too lazy to do the math, but should be about the same performance per dollar
    Yeah I noted your concerns around Driver support and read up a bit about it. I rate AMD, and happy to switch to a AMD CPU but might wait a generation or two for the GPU switch.

So now im stuck trying to work out what the best option is. The 3070 looks very attractive at that price and running with 1440p Ultrawide I expect I should be able to run most games on Ultra and have a really good experience?

I'll read some more reviews over the coming weeks (GPU supply in SG is going to be even worse than in USA) especially benchmarks which make use of the Smart Access Memory. Maybe i'll work it out by the time stock is available... ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I noted your concerns around Driver support and read up a bit about it. I rate AMD, and happy to switch to a AMD CPU but might wait a generation or two for the GPU switch.
    I'm the same way really. I need my system to be stable, so I can't go AMD until they sort their shit out

So now im stuck trying to work out what the best option is. The 3070 looks very attractive at that price and running with 1440p Ultrawide I expect I should be able to run most games on Ultra and have a really good experience?
    It's about the same performance as a 2080ti, which can do 1440p non ultra-wide at max settings, somewhere between 90 and 140fps in modern AAA titles, depending on which ones you play. For ultrawide I'd probably go 3080

I'll read some more reviews over the coming weeks (GPU supply in SG is going to be even worse than in USA) especially benchmarks which make use of the Smart Access Memory. Maybe i'll work it out by the time stock is available... ha.
    SAM does pretty much nothing at the moment from what I've seen.

I'm the same way really. I need my system to be stable, so I can't go AMD until they sort their shit out

It's about the same performance as a 2080ti, which can do 1440p non ultra-wide at max settings, somewhere between 90 and 140fps in modern AAA titles, depending on which ones you play. For ultrawide I'd probably go 3080

SAM does pretty much nothing at the moment from what I've seen.
    Yeah just saw a video reviews on SAM, how disappointing! The Raytracing and DLSS seems to be the only fail on the 6800xt otherwise it's a cheaper version of the 3080...

I just have to ask myself how realistic it would be to buy the 3070 now for $500 instead of the 6800xt for $650 with an expectation to get the next generation of AMD GPUs.

When AMD release Zen 4 - am I going to be red with envy having bought the 6080xt?
    ...fml.

10+ Year Old Account

My main concern about the 3070 is the rather pathetic 8GB VRAM. Yeah it's just about enough in most games for now. It probably won't be 1-2 years from now. So it depends on how long you're expecting to keep the GPU.

Personally I'm most interested in either the RX 6800 or the RTX 3080 as I see those as being the best bang for the buck with current pricing, but ofc pricing depends on your region.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    My main concern about the 3070 is the rather pathetic 8GB VRAM. Yeah it's just about enough in most games for now. It probably won't be 1-2 years from now. So it depends on how long you're expecting to keep the GPU.

Personally I'm most interested in either the RX 6800 or the RTX 3080 as I see those as being the best bang for the buck with current pricing, but ofc pricing depends on your region.
    Yeah the 3070 for 2 years and then upgrade would be my line of thinking otherwise get the 6800XT. Hard to know pricing in the SG region because the distribution channels are very Asian. i.e. You go to a market and hustle. However, if i go AMD then that'll be it and I wouldn't expect to want/need to upgrade for quite some time in which case spending a little extra to go from the 6800 to the 6800XT feels like it would be worth.

The 5600x will be my CPU for the next 5+ years - things a beast.