Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

At what point will Blizzard transition WOW to F2P?

With declining subscriber base and the continued downward trajectory of subscriptions at what point/threshold will WOW go the F2P route and incorporate cash shops etc?

I wish it would never happen however its an inevitability at this point. The question is when?

I feel like Shadowlands will be the last expansion under the current model and we will see a f2P conversion during the next cycle.

Probably never.

What COULD happen is a hybrid model like SWTOR uses, with both subscribers and f2p players. But even if that were to happen, it's years away.

3+ Year Old Account
    99% that they never change to F2P. Players are saying that it will be F2P since 2010. it didnt happen, it wont happen.
    MMO-Champion Forum
    noun

1. a place where people who stopped playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago gather to tell those who still enjoy the game, how bad it is right now.

Probably never before the launch of an entirely new game like WoW 2 that will also be based on subscription. The subscriber base is still tremendously high (more than any other game with a subscription model anyway) and is more accessible since you can buy it with token so yeah, probably never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
    With declining subscriber base and the continued downward trajectory of subscriptions at what point/threshold will WOW go the F2P route and incorporate cash shops etc?

I wish it would never happen however its an inevitability at this point. The question is when?

I feel like Shadowlands will be the last expansion under the current model and we will see a f2P conversion during the next cycle.
    Its always funny to me when people post nonsense like this, when they have absolutely no idea what the actual numbers are.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Probably never.

What COULD happen is a hybrid model like SWTOR uses, with both subscribers and f2p players. But even if that were to happen, it's years away.
    I agree with you. Most likely a hybrid model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it go F2P beyond the level 20 intro cap when it already has a cash shop, paid expansions and people still subscribe? They'll probably just ride that out until the player base has dwindled to nothing/aren't worth the server costs... or the heat death of the universe whichever comes first.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

With declining subscriber base and the continued downward trajectory
    How exactly do you know that?

Not counting guessing and assumptions based on ingame experiences, how do you KNOW this?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    How exactly do you know that?

Not counting guessing and assumptions based on ingame experiences, how do you KNOW this?
    I mean, it's demonstrably untrue. WoW is seeing more engagement and making more money than it used to, quite a lot more. Seems like the low point was WoD and however this is doing, it's significantly better than that. I doubt that'll change any time soon.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

There will never be a wow 2, Blizzard will never make another mmo
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

They will only do it if WoW starts tanking hard or at the end of it's lifecycle when they have scaled all content to max level and there is no more true progression to be done.

it basically is already once you start farming for tokens

When the game is in maintenance mode. It will still be awhile. There is still money to be made!

Why would they? It's not like they can't keep putting into the game several things that one usually associates to F2P games, such as in-game store, IN ADDITION to their monthly fee.

https://www.pcgamer.com/shadowlands-...aft-expansion/
    Try again?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    ooo it stings!!!!!!!!

Who are you trying to provoke? Everyone knows that we have no numbers of what the subs actually are. But we know that pre-sale is really high, so subs can't be far from that. Threads like this shouldn't exist.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Well, if SL pre-order + first day will be (again) around 3.3-3.4M, I wonder what people who two years ago said "it's all because Legion was good" has to say.

declining subs...didn't the latest earnings call just debunk that since engagement in SL is higher than WoD?
    Error 404 - Signature not found